Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Boycott The New Is

I know its annoying that the HIDs are only on the SE-L, but besides that, even the SE has a higher spec than the old IS300 (keyless entry, ventilated seats, and all that) so based on that it still costs £30K for a fully loaded IS250SE Auto :)

That is one thing that gets me... car manufacturers make all this fuss about how safe their cars are, so given that HIDs are soooo much better than halogens, how come they aren't standard on lower spec models too? Oh well that's another topic I guess.

True, pound for pound there's no direct comparison between the IS300 and the new IS250 SE or SE-L. I'm a sucker for Lexus tho, and even tho the competition have Lexus beat when it comes to performance (like the BMW 330 will leave the IS300 for dead), the Lexus beats it in every other way IMHO and so I know I'll end up buying another one :duh:

Controversial, but....

I am not biased towards Lexus. I never bought the original IS200'cos it's MPG was poor (most of my miles are motorway), and whilst it was different, it was not right. It was smart inside, but too many expanses of shiny plastic. Price aside. It was well made, but not luxurious...it was sporty and all of that, don't get me wrong, but it could never have beaten the competition on anything other than value. It's dynamics etc were average too in MHO...but the engine sounded greeeeeaaat!

Let's face it - someones got to say it...the Old IS was made by Toyota, and sold as a Toyota in it's home country...then someone in Toyota thought, lets con everyone, make a few tweaks and sell it as a Lexus for the USA market...Oh yes we'll send it to the UK too...

It was like the emperors new clothes; only the faithful don't seem to have seen it. When you see an X Type Jag, those who know say "Mondeo". Those who don't say "Jag"... With the old IS, no one knew until you saw the badge...is it a Toyota or a Lexus...

This new IS is a world apart from the old model. I bought the new IS not 'cos it's a Lexus, but because it's better in many ways than the German cars, and it's rarity. It's not just better in terms of Value, but quality and packaging...it is finally a luxurious car.

Jamboo Off soap box...

This new IS is a world apart from the old model. I bought the new IS not 'cos it's a Lexus, but because it's better in many ways than the German cars, and it's rarity. It's not just better in terms of Value, but quality and packaging...it is finally a luxurious car.

Here here!

Build quality has to be seen and felt to be believed.

• 2 weeks later...

Price too high?

Just wait a year and see what the market is saying then pick up a 1 year old IS250. It is a fantastic car and beats the Germans habds down, BMW, Audi & Merc. I bought a 53 Auto SE with 20k miles in Nov, even though I saw the IS250 at the dealers. I just told him, nice car but later, not now.

And my SE Auto just drives beautifully esp after the full 20k service at Lexus Bromley. Lots of car for the money... this is true for both 200 and 250 so put ur hand in your pocket and get what u can afford.... stop gripping.

Price hike unjustified? If the Bimmer had the same kit do u think they care wot u think when they snootily tell u how much it is? And the 250 is easily the better car! I have had 3 Bimmers and 2 mercs so I know.

Japanese is very smart in doing business especially with pricing. If they sale the new IS250 the same price as the IS200 at the time of going out, how much do you think the old IS200 now worth ? Probably drop by half. In order to maintain their brand and the class of luxury, they have to justify the value by lifting the price of the new model and at the same time it has to be better value than the german rivals. By doing that they throw in a lot more new or better items/features. Yes, it sounds a lot more dearer. But if you look at the extra items/features such as : Much powerful engine and better fuel economy, bigger space & longer base, parking sonars, Vehicle Stability/Swerve Control, noise filter, advanced 13 speaker stereo system with mp3, Smart Entry / Push Button Start, Audio Controls on Steering Wheel, Climate Controlled Front Seats, dual zone AC, lighting inside outside, Optitron / Multi Information Display, Trip computer, Telescopic/reach adjust steering wheel, Adaptive Front-lighting System, front knee airbag (how much do you think a leg might cost), stronger body & paint and etc. How much do you think each individual item cost ? If you compare these extra/better/advanced items/features with the old IS200 you will find that the new IS250 is of better value indeed :D

I know that the structural rigidity of the IS250 is said to be 20% stiffer than the IS200, but what about the paint?

How does the paint (apart from obvious new colour range) differ from the outgoing model??? :question:

Japanese is very smart in doing business especially with pricing. If they sale the new IS250 the same price as the IS200 at the time of going out, how much do you think the old IS200 now worth ? Probably drop by half. In order to maintain their brand and the class of luxury, they have to justify the value by lifting the price of the new model and at the same time it has to be better value than the german rivals. By doing that they throw in a lot more new or better items/features. Yes, it sounds a lot more dearer. But if you look at the extra items/features such as : Much powerful engine and better fuel economy, bigger space & longer base, parking sonars, Vehicle Stability/Swerve Control, noise filter, advanced 13 speaker stereo system with mp3, Smart Entry / Push Button Start, Audio Controls on Steering Wheel, Climate Controlled Front Seats, dual zone AC, lighting inside outside, Optitron / Multi Information Display, Trip computer, Telescopic/reach adjust steering wheel, Adaptive Front-lighting System, front knee airbag (how much do you think a leg might cost), stronger body & paint and etc. How much do you think each individual item cost ? If you compare these extra/better/advanced items/features with the old IS200 you will find that the new IS250 is of better value indeed :D

I know that the structural rigidity of the IS250 is said to be 20% stiffer than the IS200, but what about the paint?

How does the paint (apart from obvious new colour range) differ from the outgoing model??? :question:

My personal opinion is that the paint is a lot better. 1400 miles and no chips so far. I used to dread cleaning the IS200 because each time there woudl be a new set of chips. I did take a GS300 out as a courtesy car on my last IS service and that had a massive chip on it, it almost put me off buying an IS250 as I was worried that the paint was going to be no better than the outgoing model.

My personal opinion is that the paint is a lot better. 1400 miles and no chips so far. I used to dread cleaning the IS200 because each time there woudl be a new set of chips. I did take a GS300 out as a courtesy car on my last IS service and that had a massive chip on it, it almost put me off buying an IS250 as I was worried that the paint was going to be no better than the outgoing model.

Any Lexus designed before 2000 are not resistance to road side stones, you will get chip easily or even water drop size of paint that comes off the body. Most IS owner would see the stone chip on their car after cruising through the country road on high speed. This is inevitable.

Any Lexus designed before 2000 are not resistance to road side stones, you will get chip easily or even water drop size of paint that comes off the body. Most IS owner would see the stone chip on their car after cruising through the country road on high speed. This is inevitable.

What happened in 2000 ?

My Y reg 2001 IS200 chipped like crazy (plat ice), yet my 52 plate granite sky (mica) IS300 gathered very few chips.

None so far on the black IS220d (500 miles).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links