Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Removing Number Plates

Hi All

I have just bought a new personal registration number for my Lex, and I need to fit the new plates.

Has anyone any good tips on removing the old stuck on plates without damaging my paintwork?

I do not want o simply pry them off incase I chip the paint.

I have bought new sticky pads to fix the new plates, I just eed to get the old ones off first

Thanks in advance

Phil

Hi All

I have just bought a new personal registration number for my Lex, and I need to fit the new plates.

Has anyone any good tips on removing the old stuck on plates without damaging my paintwork?

I do not want o simply pry them off incase I chip the paint.

I have bought new sticky pads to fix the new plates, I just eed to get the old ones off first

Thanks in advance

Phil

I haven't had a look at the plates, but if they are stuck on I'd imagine sliding a fishing line behind the plate would be one way to take them off.

If you've got a hairdryer couldn't you gently heat up the area to reduce the stickyness of the pads before using the fishing line ?

Maybe others have better ideas ? :huh:

thanks fokls!

I will get out my hot-air gun and see if I can do it.

Any suggestions for us non-fisherman instead of the fishing line? Or do you think they will just pull off when I heat them up?

Phil

They should just peel off if you heat it up enough, but fishing line will make an easier cut for you. What about dental floss ?? That should do the same thing.

Just remember that you may have to use some stuff to help you remove the sticky pads. I can't think at the mo of what to recommend, but you can actually buy stuff to remove adhesive pads. I'm wondering if something like vinegar would do it ?!? :blink:

thanks all! I will have a rumage throughthe cupboards and see if I can find anyting appropriate.

As far as removing the sticky stuff, would I be ok with dilute white sprit or will this take the paint of the boot lid?

Erm......I'm only guessing on the white spirit, but I'd imagine it would be okay.

I think I'd have a really close look first though, cuz any stone chips nearby and the white spirit could get beneath the lacquer and damage the paintwork. Personally I would try some normal car shampoo and warm water first, see how much you can remove with this, and then probably move to trying something like a window cleaner spray - we used to use this to remove bugs on Mercs when I worked there. It's a matter of spray on, wipe off though !

If this works, then give it a final polish to remove any tacky build-up, but don't bother waxing as you want the new plates to stick.

Just another thought - what about any cotton thread instead of fishing line ?

The job was easier than I thought....the plates are off!

But I was slightly naive, and thought all standard number plates are the same size.

The number plates Lexus Nottingham put on are bigger and hide loads of mess from the first set of plates this car had. My new plates are much smaller, and now I can either see 2 old rivets or some epoxy that won't shift.

Might have to resort to a frame for the number plate

Also, the special sticky pads are rubbish....hardly sticking at all at the front.....first time I drive fast I bet I loose the plate

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links