Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250

rayg

Well I test drove the new IS250 the other day (Friday – Monday) and I thought I would share my views on the car incase anyone is interested! (I know loads of people have already done this but I thought the more reviews the better)

Surprisingly when I got in the car I wasn’t overly impressed, I thought the lay out was plain and boring and the passenger side of the dash board was to big and bulky. I thought the layout of the centre console was OK but I really didn’t like the clock at the bottom (looked like it was taken out of the Rover) and the “passenger Airbag is on” light always being illuminated. But that was all over taken by the Speedo layout, now I’m a bloke and simple things please me and I think that it is probably the layout and looking console that has been designed.

So I drove the car out of the dealership and straight into a petrol station as they only left vapors in the tank!. I then had to travel down to Eastborne which was one of the reasons I wanted it for that weekend.

The first thing that really impressed me was the engine, I got in the car with the impression that the engine was obviously bigger but not much of an improvement after reading articles but as soon as you put your foot down the car leaps into motion and shifts a lot quicker then I thought it would, I especially like getting 85mph out in third gear!!

The ride was very comfortable and smooth with hardly any road noise, whilst driving down the motorway I started playing with all the toys and even though it’s a bit of a gimmick I like the Orange and Red settings you can have on the Speedo so when you get to 80mph orange light comes on inside the Speedo and 100mph it changes to red.

The stereo is superb and a big jump forward from the previous one. I didn’t have the multimedia pack so good only knows how good that sounds.

Don’t want to go on to much so I have listed a few likes/dislikes below but from my first impression of the car it has now totally changed and I want one!!!

Speedo layout

Sound System

Plug in MP3 player and is well hidden away

Keyless entry and start

Engine power

Smooth Ride

Gadgets!!!

Fuel economy

Size of the boot

18” Wheels

Reading lights

Brakes

Dislikes

Rear window visibility

Location of boot and petrol cap release and not lit!

Rear leg room

The car in silver (back does not look right :P )

Well I test drove the new IS250 the other day (Friday – Monday) and I thought I would share my views on the car incase anyone is interested! (I know loads of people have already done this but I thought the more reviews the better)

Surprisingly when I got in the car I wasn’t overly impressed, I thought the lay out was plain and boring and the passenger side of the dash board was to big and bulky. I thought the layout of the centre console was OK but I really didn’t like the clock at the bottom (looked like it was taken out of the Rover) and the “passenger Airbag is on” light always being illuminated. But that was all over taken by the Speedo layout, now I’m a bloke and simple things please me and I think that it is probably the layout and looking console that has been designed.

So I drove the car out of the dealership and straight into a petrol station as they only left vapors in the tank!. I then had to travel down to Eastborne which was one of the reasons I wanted it for that weekend.

The first thing that really impressed me was the engine, I got in the car with the impression that the engine was obviously bigger but not much of an improvement after reading articles but as soon as you put your foot down the car leaps into motion and shifts a lot quicker then I thought it would, I especially like getting 85mph out in third gear!!

The ride was very comfortable and smooth with hardly any road noise, whilst driving down the motorway I started playing with all the toys and even though it’s a bit of a gimmick I like the Orange and Red settings you can have on the Speedo so when you get to 80mph orange light comes on inside the Speedo and 100mph it changes to red.

The stereo is superb and a big jump forward from the previous one. I didn’t have the multimedia pack so good only knows how good that sounds.

Don’t want to go on to much so I have listed a few likes/dislikes below but from my first impression of the car it has now totally changed and I want one!!!

Speedo layout

Sound System

Keyless entry and start

Engine power

Smooth Ride

Gadgets!!!

Fuel economy

Size of the boot

18” Wheels

Reading lights

Brakes

Dislikes

Rear window visibility

Rear leg room

rear window visibility, precisely the reason i got rid of the IS200 and bought a 325i sport BMW, plus it had parking sensors. New IS250 is even worse, i could never buy a Lexus from now on unless they change drastically.

Speedo layout

Sound System

Keyless entry and start

Engine power

Smooth Ride

Gadgets!!!

Fuel economy

Size of the boot

18” Wheels

Reading lights

Brakes

Dislikes

Rear window visibility

Rear leg room

rear window visibility, precisely the reason i got rid of the IS200 and bought a 325i sport BMW, plus it had parking sensors. New IS250 is even worse, i could never buy a Lexus from now on unless they change drastically.

Rear window visibility

Rear leg room

Forgive me if I've missed something here, but are you in the right forum? :tomato: I've got a mate with a 330 Coupe and I get enough earache about Bavarian Motor Works without having to read it on here. The 250 with MM has an excellent rear parking camera, and parking sensors. I don't see your point.

Forgive me if I've missed something here, but are you in the right forum? :tomato: I've got a mate with a 330 Coupe and I get enough earache about Bavarian Motor Works without having to read it on here. The 250 with MM has an excellent rear parking camera, and parking sensors. I don't see your point.

Sounds like Lexus envy to me.

Well considering i used to have one, how could it be envy? I got rid of my IS200SE cause i couldn't see a damn thing, and i wanted a bit more power. The BMW is awesome. I have a 330Ci Auto AC Schnitzer as well, that is truly awesome but just a big toy, and feels like a toy, but the 325i Sport is more luxury.

Haven't test driven the IS250, but tbh, i couldn't justify the money. I have paid £15k for the 325i at 3 yeas old with 50k miles on it, and £23k 2 years ago for a 4 year old car with 25k miles on it. For the money, i'm sorry but Lexus doesn't even come close.

Don't get me wrong, i loved the Lexus, the stereo was awesome, the styling kit looked stunning, the ride was decent, i just got put off by little things. But no i am not a hater, a lover in fact, and i may seriously thing about the new LS when it comes out, but until then, i'm staying with BMW.

Sounds like Lexus envy to me.

Well considering i used to have one, how could it be envy? I got rid of my IS200SE cause i couldn't see a damn thing, and i wanted a bit more power. The BMW is awesome. I have a 330Ci Auto AC Schnitzer as well, that is truly awesome but just a big toy, and feels like a toy, but the 325i Sport is more luxury.

Haven't test driven the IS250, but tbh, i couldn't justify the money. I have paid £15k for the 325i at 3 yeas old with 50k miles on it, and £23k 2 years ago for a 4 year old car with 25k miles on it. For the money, i'm sorry but Lexus doesn't even come close.

Don't get me wrong, i loved the Lexus, the stereo was awesome, the styling kit looked stunning, the ride was decent, i just got put off by little things. But no i am not a hater, a lover in fact, and i may seriously thing about the new LS when it comes out, but until then, i'm staying with BMW.

I must admit that BMW have the IS200 in the power stakes and some would argue its a more 'purer' drivers car.

I was gonna get the 325ci sports coupe before the lexus. I like the look of them but always liked the aggresive stance of the IS200. My only gripe was that it was all show and no go. Lexus really did themselves no favours by under powering it.

Now that i have had it supercharged its a totally different machine. This is what lexus should have aimed for in the first place. I am a lot happier. BMW's are ten a penny and bascially common. Now Lexus is a bit more reserved. Thats what i like about the brand.

The IS250 is growing on me but i will have to drive one first to make up my mind.

Uncle_rob.

You can't compare the IS200 to the BMW325. But comparing the IS250 is another matter. They are very close together on Horsepower and both peak at around the same point. The BM is a little higher. Torque is both the same, though the BM max is at 2750rpm where the IS is at around 4000-4500rpm, and this is where you notice the difference, plus it is about 200Kg lighter.

Having said all that, here in Oz, the BMW is about $2000 more on the road than the IS250 Sports with SatNav option, but the IS has so many more features that the BM would cost about another $10,000-$15,000 more.

As for the rear view, well, I have noticed it to be smaller glass area, but as I have the Sports with Sat Nav, the rear view showing on the SatNav screen is fantastic. It also predicts as you turn the wheel where the car will go. Great feature if you are a lousy reverse parker and great assistance. The side mirrors show a bigger view than the IS200 and they also tilt down (can change it if you want) when reversing. Another great help when you don't know where the curve is. To finish it off, the IS250 Sports also comes with parking sensors Back and Front, so this also takes care of any "blind spots" when reversing.

I'm a bit confused here so please forgive me if I'm wrong, but are you calling the Lexus expensive when compared to a high mileage 3 year old BMW? I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense whatsoever :blink:

To be honest, there is no way you can make a comparison between Lexus and BMW and the Lexus lose on price, because it never does........ :whistling:

Or you could learn to park.

I don't have a problem reversing into any space. The mirrors are plenty big enough.

I'm a bit confused here so please forgive me if I'm wrong, but are you calling the Lexus expensive when compared to a high mileage 3 year old BMW? I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense whatsoever :blink:

To be honest, there is no way you can make a comparison between Lexus and BMW and the Lexus lose on price, because it never does........ :whistling:

Blimey not been back in a while and i get all this abuse!!!!!

ok, this is hard to compare, because IS200 and IS300 prices will have dropped considerably because of the model IS250 right? ok, you have the option, IS200 for say £15k, 1 year old, and 15k miles, or... a 325i sport, 2 yr old, higher mileage, but for the same price, which would you choose? For the BMW, you get better handling, better car, more power, quicker, reliable, and peaceof mid. As well as a car that will run for 200xxx miles. I'm sorry, each to his own, i just couldn't justify the Lexus over the BMW.

ok, this is hard to compare, because IS200 and IS300 prices will have dropped considerably because of the model IS250 right? ok, you have the option, IS200 for say £15k, 1 year old, and 15k miles, or... a 325i sport, 2 yr old, higher mileage, but for the same price, which would you choose? For the BMW, you get better handling, better car, more power, quicker, reliable, and peaceof mid. As well as a car that will run for 200xxx miles. I'm sorry, each to his own, i just couldn't justify the Lexus over the BMW.

I dont think any of us have a problem with you buying a BMW; your choice after all. Its just that perhaps you should be posting this on the BMW owners site and not LOC.......

For the BMW, you get better handling, better car, more power, quicker, reliable, and peaceof mid. As well as a car that will run for 200xxx miles. I'm sorry, each to his own, i just couldn't justify the Lexus over the BMW.

On that list the only things that can't be disputed are more power and quicker! But you are comparing a 2 litre to a 2.5 litre. The rest are up for debate. Better comparison would be the 325 and the RS200, RS200 IS quicker :winky:

I dont think any of us have a problem with you buying a BMW; your choice after all. Its just that perhaps you should be posting this on the BMW owners site and not LOC.......

Hate to think what a BMW forum would be like..perhaps that's why he's still here? :mat:

Sorry mate didn't want it to seem like I was giving you abuse because that wasn't my intention, just didn't understand what you meant about the prices of the two different cars.

However, if we talk about what the prices will be in 2 years time, I'm guessing that an IS250 and a 325 will be quite similarly priced, but the IS will be much better equipped, so from a value for money point of view the Lexus still makes more sense. Although, you're right, they are two very different cars, the Lexus will be a more comfortable cruiser, whereas the BMW will be a better driver's car, so it would be up to personal choice on that one :)

For the BMW, you get better handling, better car, more power, quicker, reliable, and peaceof mid. As well as a car that will run for 200xxx miles. I'm sorry, each to his own, i just couldn't justify the Lexus over the BMW.

On that list the only things that can't be disputed are more power and quicker! But you are comparing a 2 litre to a 2.5 litre. The rest are up for debate. Better comparison would be the 325 and the RS200, RS200 IS quicker :winky:

IS200 s/c would be a better comparison to the 325(if a comparison had to be made) than the RS200. RS200 would lose out on refinement as they are a lot more noisier in the cabin. Altezza's have to be revved a lot to get there.

i do, www.e46fanatics.com, same user name.

I still visit the site, stop hating on me, i still have an interest in Lexus, and would consider buyin another in the future. I posted here cause of the original comment about rear view, or lack of it, and the big high ***** the IS250 has and the IS200 also.

Never realised my postin was a crime.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links