Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Octane Boosters

Pip

I mentioned this a while back and wondered what the general opinion was?

I have seen that there maybe a GB on them however there is conflicting views on whether they make a difference and do they raise octane levels etc? :unsure:

Can we have some opinions or is it a load of tosh?

I havent tried them but i have tried injector cleaner (redex) and noticed the car ran smoother.

from what i understand they dont really alter the octane level, but , hmm, hard to explain.......

they change the chemical make up of the fuel, so it burns better/differently

there were originally problems with using octane boosters with Optimax as the chemicals were not compatible, and the OB caused Optimax to wax.

in Germany and other countrys to get around this Shell introduced Shell V Power which is 100 octane therefore negating the need for boosters

for the Monster if i can get Optimax i just use that, as is......if not i use boosters......

Edited by Monster-Mat

Having run a couple of different brands of OB in the 200 & 300 I'd say that (other than subjectively running smoother) they made no difference at all.

The "smoother" running may have been due purely to the ECU reset I did.

Of course, this is on unmodded motors - there may be benefits on anything that really requires higher octane fuel.

Having run a couple of different brands of OB in the 200 & 300 I'd say that (other than subjectively running smoother) they made no difference at all.

Of course, this is on unmodded motors - there may be benefits on anything that really requires higher octane fuel.

there is no point putting octane boosters in N/a cars designed to run on Euro grade fuels

there is no point putting octane boosters in N/a cars designed to run on Euro grade fuels

I thought that too Mat. Its with turbo/super charged cars that i have seen and been advised higher octane is a must.

I think we need input form ppl that have in some way used 100RON(or near as) and the difference felt.

Octane boosters arent cheap and before i decide on anything i want to hear and find out as much as possible.

What boosters have ppl used? I have never heard of the one Mr Morse mentioned in the GB. I have heard of NOS and the other one sold by demontweeks, cant think of its name at the moment.

if you've got a jap import car your more likely to notice the diff, as the ecu is mapped to be running on 100ron fuel that they have over there, so the ecu will more likely be retarding the timing for standard british fuel, so optimax, or an octance booster, can only be a good idea, Especially if your giving it a bit of welly/track use etc :)

So would that mean there's no benefit to using optimax and the like?

I used NUL and OB which, in theory at any rate, should be similar to using SUL.

For those that think that a higher octane fuel will make them go faster, as far as im aware it hightens the point at which the fuel explodes stopping pre-detonation (knocking) which can damage a cars engine.

That is why its not good running low grade petrol in tuned cars and high performance engines

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links