Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dear All,

I have looked through previous posts for this problem without success so, I wonder if someone can help me with this?

I know its petty but if it has it , it has to work!

I have a 1998 LS 400 Mk4, when locking the car and setting the alarm using the original fob key, all works OK, exept the car will not acknowledge the actions with a chirping noise as it says in the owners manual.

I have tried operating the push button switch under the steering wheel on the knee roll, in both positions but it is totally silent in both.

As Lloyd Grosman says in 'Through the Keyhole' "Over to you".

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Chris Vince

Push button switch? I thought it was a round knob you turn up and down to control volume of beep?

Hi Maneesh,

I seem to remember it did turn to alter the volume on my '93, but not on this one, its either in or out

there is no rotation on the switch at all.

Thanks anyway for for your thoughts.

Regards,

Chris

Well, chris Mk 1 (or 2?) on my Mk 3 you can turn the alarm OFF under the bonnet, (that is, the SIREN; the immobiliser still works)

Is this a new-to-you car? Or has it suddenly happened?

I know MY Ser 4 doesn't blip sound wise either (though Ive just got my Ser 3 out and swapped garage places, so can't go and look ...garage 3 miles away!)

Seem to recall reading something about silencing the bleep......

This IS a lot of use to you! Hah! :huh:

(And Yes; the lovely 65K mile series 3 is still available for sale, folks. Only £5000. Hi-Fi screen working...) :D

Hi Chris,

No, I've had this one coming up to a year now, and it has never chirped, although everything else, alarm and immobiliser work fine.

The owners handbook clearly says that the aforementioned push button will turn off the bleep, I've tried it in both positions but can't get the noise back. I have searched but can't find any other switches or loose wires, and was wondering whether any other owners have had a similar problem and found the cure.

Its only a small anoyance, but these days we need all the reassurance going to ensure we lock up our possessions.

Regards,

Chris Vince

Well, I've got the same problem. Exactly as you describe, Chris V.

I'm afraid I haven't found the solution either. But I would be very interested to learn it too, if there is one.

So, not much very constructive there then. But, since this seemed to be a thread for "Chris's", I thought I might as well join in!

Well, I've got the same problem. Exactly as you describe, Chris V.

I'm afraid I haven't found the solution either. But I would be very interested to learn it too, if there is one.

So, not much very constructive there then. But, since this seemed to be a thread for "Chris's", I thought I might as well join in!

Hi Chris,

Even though their have only been five responses to my original enquiry we have already identified three Mk4's with the same problem.

I wonder if there is a factory setting or code that turns them off, but I am sure someone wiser than us will be along soon with an answer.

Regards,

Chris V

Chris's rule! But plip silently? I'll ask my friendly local agent man, if he remembers to ring me back.

(Chris V; thanks again for the radio removal stuff. It's half way done. Off out into rain to continue shortly.)

• 2 weeks later...

Wel I'm a Chris too. Mines a 97 and it does not chirp but bleeps when i lock the doors.

My ex father in law pushed the panic button once and it was like WWIII with all the racket going off.

How do you know if the alarm is working anyway? Do you have to break in?

Wel I'm a Chris too. Mines a 97 and it does not chirp but bleeps when i lock the doors.

My ex father in law pushed the panic button once and it was like WWIII with all the racket going off.

How do you know if the alarm is working anyway? Do you have to break in?

Try opening the boot with the key! Wah-wah!! :o

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

not sure if this is a related question but ive just bought a mk2 i think its on a 93 plate and my key remote is broke - came with the car, so not sure if the alarm works. Does anyone know who the best people to get a new key remote from cos i heard lexus are expensive - surprise!

thanks lads mat

• 3 months later...

Just to clear up this confusion about the switch under the dash on the Mk 4 (maybe other versions too).

If you try and lock the car from the keyfob but you've left a door open or ajar, it refuses to lock and emits a high pitched beep. If you put the switch in the other position, it still refuses to lock, but doesn't beep.

Can't really see the point of it myself. :huh:

Just to clear up this confusion about the switch under the dash on the Mk 4 (maybe other versions too).

If you try and lock the car from the keyfob but you've left a door open or ajar, it refuses to lock and emits a high pitched beep. If you put the switch in the other position, it still refuses to lock, but doesn't beep.

Can't really see the point of it myself. :huh:

Thanks Jon,

I'm going out to try it now.

I agree with you, I would much rather it gave a reassuring beep when generally locking the car.

Chris Vince

• 1 year later...
I have a MK4 with the same issue, no "pip" when I lock the car. The push button switch under the bonet does not make any difference!? Anyone come across a solution to this yet?

Hi Rob,

They don't pip when arming or disarming. At least the Mk 4's don't anyway. You just have to get used to watching the indicators when you lock up. As for the purpose of the switch under the dash, scroll up a few posts to my previous post in this thread. :-)

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a long time since I read the manual but as I remember, the chirp is one of the programmable options on the MkIV.

You need to take it back to Lexus and they can change the setting.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links