Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Cleaning

I read on an American forum that the furniture polish, Pledge is supposed to provide a good coating which makes it easier to clean off the brake dust. Haven't tried it myself yet. DON'T spray directly on the wheel in case it gets on the discs!!!!..spray onto a cloth and wipe over, was the advice.

Many people recommend the use of warm soapy water. I would only use alloy wheel cleaners (e.g Autogylm) if they are very soiled as these usually contain fairly harsh cleaning fluid which can over time damage the laquer on the wheels.

I try to wax the wheels once cleaned with some good quality car wax. This usually makes cleaning easier as the wax provides some protection against hot brake dust etching into the laquer.

If the alloy wheel is really dirty, use your car wash shampoo with sponge or wash mit and then hose it off. From then on you can keep it in tip top condition by wiping it every one or two days. It'll take approx 10 - 15min for the four wheels. 3-4min for each front alloy wheel and about 2min for each rear wheel with two piece of hand tower/tissues per wheel. Without the need of water, use a piece of tower quickly wipe off all the dust from the wheel and then use another tower to ensure that it is clean to touch.

You can keep your whole car clean to touch by spending 20 to 30 min every one or two days with just a bucket of water. That is if you use the car everday for about one to two hours per day. I can provide a bit more info if anyone need it.

I prefer to keep my Lex clean to touch by doing it this way than to spend 2 - 3 hours washing the car every one or two weeks. It's a lot easier to do it this way than washing since the dust come off easily. Dirt might stick to the paint after 4 - 5 days. It's kinda habit and good exercise. You can do it before going to shower :D

I got a wheel brush from Tesco of all places this weekend, very soft bristles & a flexible head.

Works really well & gets right into the back of the wheel & behind the spokes.

I wash my wheels weekly even if im not doing the car as I think they look horible when their filthy & I only ever use soapy water.

Cheers.

Stuart

I read on an American forum that the furniture polish, Pledge is supposed to provide a good coating which makes it easier to clean off the brake dust. Haven't tried it myself yet. DON'T spray directly on the wheel in case it gets on the discs!!!!..spray onto a cloth and wipe over, was the advice.

I too can vouch for Pledge. I use two tins every three months on my Mk1 GS sport wheels and it works a treat.

It was a guy at the place where I got my wheels refurbed that suggested I use it.

Best £2 you will ever spend.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links