Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Official Extra Urban Mpg Is 220d - Beaten It!

yep, 2nd-3rd around city is simply bad mpg...At 2,000 rpm, your turbo is at full boost, so yes, you will spend more fuel then.

maybe its time for some Avensis D4D transplant? :-).

the turbo will only be full boost it you have the throttle wide open. The IS220D and the Avensis 2.2D use the same engine, a 2.2l D4D.

Has anybody been on TOC, do the Avensis 2.2 owners also get poor mpg?

Yes:

Avensis Economy (You might need to register on the Toyota Club)

See post #21, approx 52mpg but dunno if that is Trip or manual calculations. Wolfman says it went from 48mpg to 52 after 27000 miles... likely to be a 2.0d4d, so slightly different engine (obviously)

So we can expect ....low 40's in the diesel? That's what I was hoping for!

Well they do say, "...it's not the size of your Turbo, but the quality..."

it really all depends on the driver, with Avensis D4D engine I got >70 mpg on country roads/light hills. This was driving 50-60mph, in maximum gear.

In town, same car,driving it like an gas engine (2nd gear mostly), I got 33mpg during summer :-). Not driving particulary fast, just always in lower gear.

I am averaging a woeful 18-19 MPG on urban roads. So I'm nt particularly impressed. I've done 530 miles so far and changed tank for the second time last night.

what gear are you driving in city? it makes world of difference. I always used to drive diesels as if they were petrols - in 2nd or 3rd in the city, and my friend gets a lot better mpg in the city by simply driving 2 gears higher than me...

4th gear in the IS220d is strictly 40mph and above. Most of town driving is done in 2nd or 3rd gear.

Thats where you are screwing up mate. High gears, high gears!!

Yes I've been doing second and third as that's usually all there is available in town - Zones 2-4 mind. However if I go up into 4th gear under 40 miles an hour the ratio is too low and the car therefore has no responsiveness.

So what are the suggestions for my dire (and soon to be costly) predicament?

IS220d drivers:

Please can you post back how many miles your car has travelled total since new (ODO), and what the current MPG if you don't mind chaps, plus any notes on whether it's mainly town, motorway etc?

I'm gonna make my first journey for business on Wednesday (240 mile round trip) mainly motorway, and mine has 230 miles on the ODO...I'll brim it before and after....for a shock!

I'll be taking it gently as she's running in still.... :duh:

I'm up to 1,100 miles and averaging 20.5 MPG at present

Hopefully you've seen my other post.

I find that town only driving is dire to say the least. It's where the economy really dives. I can't see any cabbies using this car at all....which might be a good thing...!

I take it your daily run is start/stop all the way?

yep, 2nd-3rd around city is simply bad mpg...At 2,000 rpm, your turbo is at full boost, so yes, you will spend more fuel then.

the turbo will only be full boost it you have the throttle wide open. The IS220D and the Avensis 2.2D use the same engine, a 2.2l D4D.

I was told by lexus that the engine in the IS220d is not the same as the one in the Avensis, but a completley new engine design for the lexus, made of aluminium.

If you look at the figures the BHP, Torque and fuel ecconemy is a lot better on the IS220D

It's the salesman talking Cr4p, and telling you what they think...or what they think you want to hear!

My salesman tried that one on me too....until I asked him some awkward questions, at which point he went away...to find out! And I'm still waiting to hear from him about that 3 months later!

It's fundamentally the same engine mate with diferent tuning, that is in the Avensis 2.2d4d (148- so slightly detuned I believe), and they are making the 220d 177bhp Available in the Avensis from next month. Incidentally, the 220d 177bhp is in the Corolla Verso (yes a Corolla and has been for several months) and the new RAV4 too...

It'll have a different gearbox obviously as they are FWD...or AWD for the Rav, but essentially the only difference is on the Badge plate...

I suppose it's no different to VAG using engines between Audi and VW, or Nissan and Infiniti in the USA...or Ford and Jaguar...

It's a good enough engine...

actually 150hp engine in Avensis and 177hp in IS220d are very different engines. Pretty much everything is different - from compression, turbine, injectors, glow plugs, common rail system, cat system, pretty much everything as I said.

177hp in Avensis, Corolla Verso, Rav4 and IS220d are the same engines. It is most advanced 4cly engine on the market today (3rd gen common rail).

I was told by lexus that the engine in the IS220d is not the same as the one in the Avensis, but a completley new engine design for the lexus, made of aluminium.

If you look at the figures the BHP, Torque and fuel ecconemy is a lot better on the IS220D

That is true, if you are comparing it to 2.0 D4D in Avensis, which is iron block engine, very much different from 2.2 d4d engines...

Cheers :D

Thanks for clarifying - the key thing is that the "Extra Urban" is achievable, the "Combined" can be smashed, but I need to see how the next 10-20,000 fair for "Urban". As she run's in, this should be attainable.

Good news for anyone buying a 220d...

I have a few trips coming up into London (city) over the next 3 weeks...this should be interesting!! I'll post back with more data...

So maybe it wasn't such a bad idea going for oiler instead? :huh:

...though an auto diesel would have been fab... :whistling:

I'm up to 1,100 miles and averaging 20.5 MPG at present

Hopefully you've seen my other post.

I find that town only driving is dire to say the least. It's where the economy really dives. I can't see any cabbies using this car at all....which might be a good thing...!

I take it your daily run is start/stop all the way?

Stop and start like a mo' fo'!

I just saw a golden (don't know the pallette mame) IS this morning (not sure of it was 250 or 220) it was stunning. Made me think about whether I should have got mine in black - but hey mine just got a wash and looks superb :D

I think my test car was in the gold - it definitely turns heads on account of the colour alone...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links