Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Most Powerful Is200

Gord

Will the IS ever be able to get up to the 500+bhp mark? With Internals done and something like getrag 6 speed conversion?

Excluding engine conversions

--> LINK :winky:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At all.... what do you wanna do with 400+ horses on that closed ratio gears as in the IS200.

A sensefull investment would be for another gearbox, as this for the Supra... but I don't wanna do that conversion. :sick:

For the factory gearbox you would anyway have to lower boost in 1st-2nd gear.

And at higher speed it will be a short fun to get only 140mph max speed.

The car will get those 140mph in a few seconds, but then.... fun is over. :yawn:

So in my opinion any other HP over 350-400 is money-wasting. ;)

I already have troubles with traction at launching in 1st gear.

Also in 2nd gear I can do wheel spin on dry asphalt. :duh: and this is with ~250-260BHP

What do you think will happen with 350-400?? :o

Or even with 500.... :crying:

....senseless.... :shutit: ....and not to say about crushing the transmission.

This is more expensive than a crushed engine. :sick:

That close ratio gearing is a "problem", indeed. There are options for altering the drive ratio, but they all seem even shorter than the IS std. And I'm talking about the final drive ratio now. TRD makes - if I'm not mistaken - few optional ratios which have longer 1st and 2nd gear, but shorter final drive. That would help a little. I'm also investigating the option of using Toyota Hiace final ratio / rear axle. They've succesfully been used in 800-1200hp drag strip cars. Even in Supras, I think. Although even the most powerful Hiace only has about 150hp, their drive line REALLY can take the abuse.

I can name a bunch of ppl who think all this is stupid and a waste of money, and sure this nibbling of ours can be put under question, but everyone to their own. IMO it's not necessarily the top speed, but how fast you get there... :lol: You can't use top speeds of over 200km/h anywhere except on some roads in Germany. It's unusable speed even on most of the race tracks, so for me we just have to content to the "traffic lights grand prix" :P :hehe: My point is that the final drive ratio of the IS200 isn't such a problem after all.

@ad77:

500hp out of 1G-FE shouldn't be a trick, provided you have lowered C/R, forged internals, adequate fuelling and a talented ECU (and a tuner). My friend has build a Golf MK4 1,8T with 550hp...

But as RR said, it's also not the most power you can make, but the driveability (and how you put the power to the ground), and the all-in-all package.

I'm sure with a 350BHP Lexus you would eat that Golf for breakfast. B)

I have seen some 300-400BHP Golf III (VR6 Turbo engines).

They had wheel spin until 3rd gear (FWD :duh: )

Meanwhile they finally got grip to the ground :yawn: I would have done the 1/4 mile. :shifty::hehe:

Spock... 500BHP would be a very impressive BHP-Barrier, but you will have wheel spin until 3rd gear.

You would be able to use full power just at 4th gear and the car would accelerate faster than in 2nd gear :lol: .

The Lexus is very light in the rear, maybe Mat knows the problem on the Monster with over 600BHP.

So the Lexus is a perfect driftcar, but not a DragCar.... it gives all the performance for drifting as like close to 50:50 weight ratio (front/rear), short gear ratio, light weight on the rear axle.... but it's maxed out for traction very soon in topics dragracing. :winky:

The Supra is a DragCar B) long vehicle, heavy 1.8tons, traction at the rear wheels. :shutit:

Due to its long engine room and the front axle very close to the top of the car, most part of the engine fits behind the front axle, the transmission sits between front and rear axle, this gives more weight on the rear wheels. B)

Have you ever seen the video of the IS300 Turbo on the dragstrip I posted once?

He crashed into the wall, after shifting in 3rd gear and loosing traction cause of his as*load of power. :tomato:

I'd say, the Lexus IS200 gives the best performance in the 300-400BHP area.

More will probably be too much. :unsure:

But we could compensate this problem with a longer gear ratio. :P

Well... I don't know which gear box would be useful and would fit. Fitting the V160 is :sick: :tsktsk: :shutit: work. But this would be the only way to make 500+ HP useful on the IS. ;)

All very interesting stuff. But it seems that until somebody actually attempts it and knows for sure what the problems are whilst doing it, there is nothing concrete to say what you can and cant do.

watch this space injecters soon

Well done mate. Let us know what breaks first so we can look out for it :D

I should be getting mine back next week so it should hopefully show us what can be achieved on standard internals :D ....Unless something breaks :crybaby:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links