Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi there,

Just had a test drive in a GS300 the other day.

I must say I was disappointed on two counts:

1. The road noise, bearing in mind this car is advertised as being very quiet

2. The number of rattles from the dash and rear sun blind. I didn't expect this from a Lexus.

I currently drive a RX400, and I am thinking of possibly changing to a GS450h, so I know that a test drive of a GS300 wasn't exactly ideal, but it gave me a good idea of what to expect in terms of fit and finish and interior space.

Are these things normal within the GS range? The salesman tried to blame the trade plate on the dashboard and has offered me a test drive in another car, I'm now not sure what to do...

Can any GS owner out there reassure me?

Thanks.

Road noise in my 430 is fine - however my car has developed lots of dash rattles. Apparently it is a known issue with certain batches of cars. Mine is getting dash removed and refitted next week to (hopefully) cure it.

Otherwise I can highly recommend GS.

Find out what tyres were fitted to the model you drove, it may just be that the car had "noisier" tyres fitted than other models. Did it have upgraded/lower profile wheels than standard?

The latest GS300s have 225.50 17 inch tyres, as does the SE model. The SE-L model has 245/40 18 inch tyres, as does the GS430. Not sure what brand?

I assume you drove the base GS300, so the more expensive models are likely to have more tyre roar. Interestingly, the RX400h has 235/55 18s as standard, so perhaps the RX400h has a quieter brand of tyre or superior insulation, since those are still considered big tyres.

The Mk2 GS certainly had more tyre roar than an equivalent 5 series or E class, especially with the wider tyre models. My Sport model has noticeable roar, but that's probably a function of the fact that it has Pirelli P Zeros rather than the car itself.

My Mk2 has rattles, but it's usually the stuff I'm carrying on the seats, like bags or keys, not the car itself!!!

Test drive another model, preferably the GS300 base model. Given that the GS450h is branded as a "performance hybrid", it's likely to have big wheels with fat tyres, so potentially noisier.

I know that with the LS models, Dunlop was first choice at the factory, and when owners switched to other brands at tyre change time, they often noticed more noise.

I've test driven a new GS, and while there weren't any rattles, the road noise was quite bad as you say (was quite a pivotal factor in not buying one)

However, I found there to be less noise in the 430 on 18" wheels than in the 300SE on 17" wheels (weird I know and not quite sure how to explain it)

Its probably best to actually try a 450h before making a decision, but to get the closest comparison, it might be best to test a GS430

I've test driven a new GS, and while there weren't any rattles, the road noise was quite bad as you say (was quite a pivotal factor in not buying one)

However, I found there to be less noise in the 430 on 18" wheels than in the 300SE on 17" wheels (weird I know and not quite sure how to explain it)

Interesting...this definitely points to the brand and/or hardness/softness of the tyres that is causing the noise. Does anyone know what brands are fitted to the 17inch and 18inch wheels?

I have had a new Gs300SE for two weeks now, recent previous cars, new Jaguar x-type sovereign, the biggest most expensive error I have ever made, got rid of after seven months, before that a Maxda RX8 loved it: but my knee's did not, getting in and out, I'm 65+, Anyway back to the GS it is the most complete car I have ever owned. Mine has the 18" wheels with Dunlop tyres, noise levels are not a problem no squeaks or rattles.

Buy it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links