Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aristo Mk1 Aftermarket Shocks..

chips229

Hi,

I ask the Question because on another car i used to own it had electronic shocks all round from the factory.

The gearbox sports mode was a separate switch on the gear selector.There was another switch that controlled the dampers....sports....medium and comfort...

If a plug was unplugged on the shock absorber or there was a fault with a shock absorber then a warning light would come on and the shocks would go into the medium setting as a default.

From what ive read and have been told on the mk1 Aristo when you switch the ect switch to power it changes the gearbox into sports/power mode and Also puts the shock absorbers into a stiffer setting(i can feel a slight difference with the ride when switched to ect)...but there is no warning light from what i can see to tell you if theres a problem with a shock absorber :unsure: and weather they go into a safe mode if theres any faults.

Im having Tein coilovers fitted in a few weeks time and its crossed my mind that if the standard wiring plug to the shocks is unplugged(not needed anymore) will it cause any problems with the auto gearbox sports mode or anything else as the shocks and gearbox seem to be on one switch.

Does anyone have any info please :)

Would be good to here feedback from TDI Please :)

Cheers chips..

I don't have an answer, but I'm assuming you're certain that your car has these electronic shocks? Where they standard or optional? I only ask because I've never noticed any difference, although I have sport springs anyway, so the ride is always hard.

Won't affect the gearbox at all.

Mine are currently unplugged, as trying to feel if there's any difference when driving with ECT on/off ( I drive with it on 99% of the time) but can't feel any difference. But I'm guessing they're the original shocks/springs so got to be pretty worn after 14 years lol.

I think I'll be going for coilovers, but haven't made my mind up 100% yet.

I don't have an answer, but I'm assuming you're certain that your car has these electronic shocks? Where they standard or optional? I only ask because I've never noticed any difference, although I have sport springs anyway, so the ride is always hard.

Hi...If you look under the bonnet where the strut brace bolts to the suspension tops you should see the wiring going into it if theres electronic dampers fitted.

The only difference i notice is at speed say on the motorway,it just seems to give it a slightly harsher ride.I can hardly feel any difference unlike the other car i talked of,which you really could feel the difference between the settings.

Ahhhh__Aristo i think like you say with your car.I think the shocks on mine have been on there from new and are way past there best..

TBH i cant notice much difference though with the gearbox when i use the power button it dont seem to change the behavior of the gearbox.Again on the other car i talk of there was a big difference when the gearbox sports button was pressed..

Thanks for the replies so far.

Chips..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links