Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is This 'normal' Is200 Behavior?

Hi guys,

After recently coverting to a lexus (well rs200) from an toyota mr2 i'm finding the rear of

the car very jumpy over bumps etc in the road.

The only way i can describe it is the car kind of 'kicks', and its worse when you're

accelerating.

The car had an accident on the rear o/s but most of the parts have been changed. I also recently laser tracked the wheels , but yet this strange and unnerving behaviour continues.

Is this normal for the is200??

:unsure:

Welcome to LOC,

Firstly there is an Altezza section and why are you calling it an IS200, the RS200 is a special car and not snubbed on here....

I don't get any "kick" from my cars handling, I do feel it lose and regain grip on bumpy roads but only on hard accelerating....

You could try "test driving" another one just to see if yours is any different....

Crash repaired..... all depends on how well it was done... Friend of mine once bought a Celica that he didn't know was crashed but always found the handling to be strange, Only by driving another did he realise there was something seriously wrong...... turns out the front left wheel was 1" further back than the front right......

Hi guys,

The only way i can describe it is the car kind of 'kicks', and its worse when you're

accelerating.

I know the feeling you mean, and I was very conscious of it when I first got my IS. I would notice especially on pot-holed roads or going over speedbumps a little too quickly...

But here's the thing: I don't notice it any more. So either I got used to it (likely) or changing tyres sorted it, since that's the only thing I've done to the car.

Si

Thanks for replies...

Of course i realise the rs200 is special (superior in fact! :D sorry lexus owners!)

unfortunately i dont know anyone with either an is200 or rs200 so

if i drove one i might know whether its a 'normal' sensation i'm feeling,

maybe i'll call into a dealers or go to kerry for the day!

i've had the rear subframe, upper and lower arms, bearing, drop link, wheel-

all replaced on one side(these had to be done), so i'm paranoid there's something else

wrong.

It has been suggested here that the lower ball joints can cause a similar effect....

Changing tyres sorted it for me. I think the Yokohama db550s I had were too stiff and rectangular in the sidewall, after that I had tyres with a rounded shape sidewall e.g. Conti Sportcanotact 2 and Dunlop SP Sportmaxx.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links