Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well, after thinking about it for far too long, I finally decided to go for a test drive in an LS400.

I picked the closest one to me, which happened to be at Hendon Trade Center, in.... Hendon!

It was a '97 P-reg, with about 127k on the clock.

I wasn't going to buy the car, especially with the scrapes on the rear bumper, and the fact that it hadn't covered any mileage in the past 4 years, and also hadn't been serviced in the past 4 years! Makes you wonder exactly what it has been doing! :unsure:

Anyway, the immigrant offered to let me drive, but he warned that the car wasn't taxed, and I wouldn't be insured, so I politely declined and he took me out instead.

Disappointment number one.

The engine noise on start-up was louder than I was expecting. I've read reports of people not knowing the car had started, and was expecting that to be honest. I'm guessing it was because it had been standing for a while, as later on in the drive after the engine had warmed up, we stopped at some lights and I struggled to hear anything resembling an engine.

Disappointment number two.

The handling. Everyone keeps raving on how good the handling is, and how it wafts you along better than any other executive saloon. Just felt like a big barge to me :tomato:

Whilst he was accelerating heavily (the car does certainly shift), the engine made some kind of tappety noise, which i'm sure shouldn't be there.

Was I taken out in a bit of a dog (the no servicing for 4 years kinda highlighted that fact), or were my expectations too high?

sounds like a bit of a dog you sould not hear the engine when warm (maybe a tiny bit) but get one that is still in use the best way i thing shows thee is nothing wrong

but when i got mine and even now its the best car i have had

the speed its got more bhp then a scooby std

Engine should be quiet at all speeds, rattling under power sounds like pinkng.

Does'nt sound like a good example.

Don't expect a sports car ride and handling, a freind with a Porche says my LS is like driving a three piece suite.............I still wouldn't swap him for his Boxter.

It's different strokes for different folks..!! :winky:

My LS 400 is quite noisy when warming up....it revs around 1200 rpm which does sound noisy when it runs at only 500 rpm when warm...I think it is to get the Cats up to temp as quickly as possible to get it through the emissions tests etc...The car is very quiet...not silent but much quieter that any other car I have driven...I think the tyre make and the pressures you run them makes a big difference... I have said before...but the tyre noise sometimes seems excessive but i believe this is because there is so little other noise...as for handling...you need to drive it like the car that it is...a big heavy luxury car...but on the main roads it is real quick...a friend of mine has the same car as me ....96 mk3... and said its as quick as his old Mitsubishi Evo 6 from say 50 to 100...its a real fast car once you initially get it rolling...[ over 2 ton } but I suppose thats not really what its about....but I do enjoy the odd cobweb blow out down the bypass...Try another one...they are certainly something spacial :shifty: ...and an absolute bargain to boot...especially if you can do your own servicing on the simpler stuff....good luck.

oH nICK, Why you had to test drive a neglected LS400.... :D

The handling is not amazing on the LS400, it's the ride quality that is what gets people talking...

The engines are super silent, the sheer thrust past 70mph (where permitted) is wonderful, and there is pretty much zero wind, engine or road noise, depending upon whether original D8Z tyres were fitted or not.

To be brutally honest, for a couple of grand, you are going to encounter many more neglected LS400s than looked after ones.

Here's what convinced me to buy one: the dealer popped the bonnet, put a 50 pence coin on the engine, started it up, revved the car to 6,000 revs, switched off the engine, the coin was still standing..

The build quality of those cars makes a GS or IS feel like a toy car.

Can only agree with my old assocoate Maneesh on that.

I'm now on to my second LS (Ser 4 now) and can't imagine owning anything else. (And I DO try to imagine....you get habituated to the car and start thinking.....is there something else I could enjoy? But then you drive it again, cocooned in silent luxury, with effortless power on tap, the best sounding stereo; and you can't find anything to compare!)

I had a Beem v-12 850 coupe prior to my first LS. And many big Citroens before that.

I agree with Maneesh about the right tyres too. The Dunlops do seem the right match. Pity you're so far away Nick, or you could have a spin around the block.

But it isn't a sports car. Get a 350z for that experience? But for cross country travel, in leisure OR at speed (is there a difference in an LS?) it's the best.

I guess it depends on what you want. Grip usually equals hard suspension, (except in a DS or 2CV!?) The LS does grip pretty well for its size (and with the weight it makes you think twice about throwing it around a corner anyway!)

Try a good one! I bet your girlfriend/wife will like the comfort!

I do still want to try out another one, but this time one thats been more looked after!

I like the ones around 1999-2000, with the satnav and stuff... :D

Increase your budget then for the Series 4 cars, and try not to throw it around like your Mr2 Turbo!

• 2 weeks later...

I do still want to try out another one, but this time one thats been more looked after!

and try not to throw it around like your Mr2 Turbo!

The handling of the LS is one aspect which interests me, I appreciate this is a luxury saloon based on ride quality to the fore, but what can be expected when pushed?

and try not to throw it around like your Mr2 Turbo!

The handling of the LS is one aspect which interests me, I appreciate this is a luxury saloon based on ride quality to the fore, but what can be expected when pushed?

Oldest are worst culprits, having 205 wide tyres, and loads of body roll, and no traction control or vehicle stability control.

Later models are better, with series 4 even offering a dynamic handling pack option, bigger wheels, slightly stiffer suspension. At the end of the day, the soft suspension setup on the LS is essentially designed for cruising on American roads, plus there is little "feel" from the steering. I used to cry when driving the LS on some routes in Oxfordshire where there were long straights with lots of roundabouts, I built up good speed, and had to slow right down for the roundabouts.

Try this on your next test drive. Approach roundabout, heavy throttle as you enter, turn wheel to the right, and watch the rear fishtail out.

If you want to drive a LS400 reasonably swiftly round bends and corners, I suggest you try a 7 series or A8 as well for a test drive.

Hi Nick.

I've been watching the same LS400 for about the last year. I always thought it looked a little cheap and that the description looked a bit vague.

Until I firmly decided that I wanted to go for a MkIV, it was on my list of try-outs. Glad I didn't now!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links