Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

Been a member for a while, but dont often get time to post (lots of useful info on here that has really helped me fix some problems, - sothanx :-) ) Got a big water problem though....

I have an 98 LS400 an have noticed that whenever it rains or the car gets wet that the spare wheel dish in the boot fills up with water (sometimes up to 2 inches). As a result my spare wheel has corroded, but I cannot seem to find where the water is running in.

I have checked the drainage tubes from the sunroof and they are bone dry on both sides. There is no residue on the paint finish within the boot for me to trace where the water may have come from. The seals around the boot all appear to be in good condition too - Im completely confused and desparately need help! I have removed the draingage bung in the spare wheel dish for now to stop the water building up, but will need to plug it back in when the winter fully creeps back.

Does anyone know or have an idea where the water could be coming from, or how I can stop this as Im worried this will cause more problems - especially with the electrics? I have spoke to Lexus Milton Keynes and they "dont know" unless they can take a look at it... :-( but Id rather sort it myself.

Any help is appreciated guys....help!?

:crybaby:

cheers

Don

absolutley love the car, just a shame about this annoying prob!

sit in the boot whilst someone puts a hose on the car ...take a torch !!

or place newspaper in strategic places to try and define the waters path

remember it may be coming up rather than down, aerodynamic forces and all that

Hi,

I can only speak of the same problem but that was on my mk1 LS.

On the mk1 theres a seam where two panels join,when the boot is open on the mk1 if you look at the frame/edge where the boot lid fits into when its shut,near the bottom rear window corners of each side it might be the same :unsure:

I smeared some sealant in the panel join and it fix the problem on my car.

Hope that might be of some help.

In the picture the area is around where the boot hinges are..

http://www.tommackclassics.com/1998lexus/trunk.jpg

Chips.

Yup, as Chips say's - it'll be the join of the seal that runs to the central bottom lip of the boot... had the exact same thing with my GS, a good slap of silicone sealant at the join (I also lifted the seal right along the bottom edge and beaded sealant down the inside of the seal clamp) = problem solved :winky: :D

....and, although you say the drain pipes LOOK dry, they COULD be blocked internally. (So I guess the water somehow runs down the outside of the pipes?) You can get them blown out with a pressure hose. Mine looked OK too, but lot of gunk came out when 'blown'.

There is at least one other 'string' on this problem somewhere on this site if you search , I think

I went through all this too and cured it with a new seal.

It took 5 mins to do and bloody ages of messing around to avoid putting on the seal.

The seal is very soft and compresses to the point of no use after about 6 years apparently.

Bite the bullet £60 as I recall.....

I went through all this too and cured it with a new seal.

It took 5 mins to do and bloody ages of messing around to avoid putting on the seal.

The seal is very soft and compresses to the point of no use after about 6 years apparently.

Bite the bullet £60 as I recall.....

Thanks guys for all your help and tips - I'm gonna try them out this afternoon and see how I get on....will let ya know :-)

fine day for it too - not too cold for novenmebr lol

• 1 month later...
i found this in my boot the other day the end bits were full up with water and i think thats were the sun roof drains are so i will have to try and look at that as well

Can you explain what you found in boot ???I am lost #

peter

hudski@aol.com

water

Sorry if I appear dizzy---

2 weeks ago I had a stroke and find it hard to understand simple things???now you

I don't understand when you said ends filled up

I cannot find out if and where the tube for the outlet is???

Peter

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links