Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Rusty Sunroof?

Pumatron

Hello, I would like to know if anyone with a is200 has experienced rust appearing on the inside of the sunroof glass, you can see it when the sunroof is opened (not tilted). The rust is focused in one corner of the glass support and is bubbled the paint coating off and has exposed severe rust to bare metal. When the roof is closed you cannot see it. Rust is also appearing in small patches all along the inner edge of glass support metal. There is no rust anywhere on the rest of the sunroof. A new glass would solve it. The glass has never been out and there has been no bodywork repairs done to the vehicles roof. Any ideas anyone? Should I approach Lexus? A five year old car should not have rust as bad as it is on a single component?

Regards Lewie,

Hello, I would like to know if anyone with a is200 has experienced rust appearing on the inside of the sunroof glass, you can see it when the sunroof is opened (not tilted). The rust is focused in one corner of the glass support and is bubbled the paint coating off and has exposed severe rust to bare metal. When the roof is closed you cannot see it. Rust is also appearing in small patches all along the inner edge of glass support metal. There is no rust anywhere on the rest of the sunroof. A new glass would solve it. The glass has never been out and there has been no bodywork repairs done to the vehicles roof. Any ideas anyone? Should I approach Lexus? A five year old car should not have rust as bad as it is on a single component?

Regards Lewie,

These cars have a 10 year bodywork warranty don't they? Gotta be worth a visit - but they will want to see a full service history I suspect ...

Regards Lewie,

These cars have a 10 year bodywork warranty don't they? Gotta be worth a visit - but they will want to see a full service history I suspect ...

worth a try :)

I thought it was 6 years anti corrosion warranty.....Check your manual :winky:

think it is 6yrs but he has a 2001 model so i would still enquire,what do you think.don't cost to ask :)

Could it be a drain hole blocked so water is collecting there?

Hi, thanks for reply, no drain tubes appear clear and there is no 'tide mark' to suggest that they have been blocked. Water is allowed to pass the seal on the glass and then drain via the tubes. I think where the water has been passng the seal it has found a pin hole in the paint on the glass surround which has caused the corrosion to appear, well I think so!!!!!! I think i will contact my local dealer and get them to take a look, it certainly is not pretty to look at with the roof back, and will eventually fail to seal correctly i would suspect.

regards Lewie :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links