Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Toluene

skeet94

Hello everybody,

I know alot of people here like running either Shell Optimax or BP Ultimate or Tesco's 99 octane. For those of us who have JDM cars (boost or not), has anybody tried using Toluene to increase the octane of their fuel?

Here's a thread on Supraforums I came across and apparently it works pretty well...http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396125&highlight=toluene

http://www.chemicals-finder.com/index.asp?...mp;productid=35

Can be bought at the link above...I mean with the exception of cost at the above link has anybody used it for boost applications where the standard Shell, BP or Tesco high octane fuel is not enough?

Any opinions? Experience?

Only of any real benefit to turbo or supercharged engines where the ECU is remapped using race gas.

This stuff can be mixed with petrol 30% toluene or xylene to 70% petrol.

It's very hard to come by legally since it is a component used in making explosives. :blink:

Only of any real benefit to turbo or supercharged engines where the ECU is remapped using race gas.

This stuff can be mixed with petrol 30% toluene or xylene to 70% petrol.

It's very hard to come by legally since it is a component used in making explosives. :blink:

Hmmm..got a gallon of it in my garage :crying: Use it for cleaning my spray gun/air brush.

I just came across that thread as I was just doing a bit of research regarding race fuels and alternatives to them such as water/methanol injection and toluene.

I know when I go single I'd like to extract the most possible power out of my whole setup and since race fuel is so bloody expensive and can have negative effects on O2 sensors and fuel lines as well if the fuel is left sitting in the car for too long it tends to eat away at the rubber lines. Water/Methanol injection sounds VERY good at the moment as an alternative, but just want something that is fool proof and has a good fail safe mechanism in place.

Mr Morse: I also thought Toluene was used in explosives therefore VERY hard to get ahold of as it's fairly unstable if not stored/used under the right conditions...but if you do a quick search on google for Toluene brings up the following link :

http://www.chemicals-finder.com/index.asp?...mp;productid=35

Seems expensive but if it can bring up the octane of normal fuel higher up I'd be all over it...it definitely seems cheaper than race fuel. Since the ECU I'm researching would be able to handle 4 different fuel maps (HKS F-CON V PRO), it'll be as easy as flipping a few switches to go from 95RON (emergency fuel up) to 99RON to 99RON and 99RON with Water/Meth and 99RON with Toluene or Race Fuel.

Maneesh: I do agree with Mr Morse about the NOS Octane Boost Racing Formula being snake oil ... if anything it takes ALOT to get higher octane, such as Toluene or Water Injection (cool down IAT's) to give a higher knock threshold.

Seems expensive but if it can bring up the octane of normal fuel higher up I'd be all over it...it definitely seems cheaper than race fuel. Since the ECU I'm researching would be able to handle 4 different fuel maps (HKS F-CON V PRO), it'll be as easy as flipping a few switches to go from 95RON (emergency fuel up) to 99RON to 99RON and 99RON with Water/Meth and 99RON with Toluene or Race Fuel.

I'll be interested to hear about your findings with the F-Con and different maps / fuel settings!

Mr Morse: Although the F CON V-Pro doesn't allow the end user to reprogramme anything whatsoever, except minor tweaking with the HKS plug-in (name escapes me at this moment), it does let you store 4 different fuel maps on the ECU which can be switched using dip switches on the unit (visible on any F-CON V-PRO picture). Although it will take almost 6-10 hours to tune (depending on tuner and install quality) it would enable you to run whichever fuel you would prefer as long as everything is in check. In essence switchable maps for different fuels. I'm pretty certain these maps include timing/ignition too for the different fuels in order to increase the detonation threshold. Also boost would need to be reduced with lower octane fuel which I'm sure you knew already, but it does help when you don't have access to the best "fuel" :). If you want more information on the actual ECU give us a shout as I've got loads of info in my head and in my favorites on IE at home :).

i_love_my_IS200: That sounds good...I'll PM you later on when I get home as I'm still trying to work out the good/bad of using Toluene as a octane booster.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links