Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New Is220d Se Multimedia Dvd Conversion

Hi All,

having bought my new lexus 220d SE with the multimedia pack, the salesman suggested (unofficially) that the DVD player function could be modified so it plays on the move by doing something to the handbrake to send false signal to DVD unit. Salesman say he doesn't know where or how but did suggest it would invalidate warranty on the DVD unit.

Anyone know where I could get this done how much it might cost / if it is possible for someone who can do about any job in a haynes manual so long as it is not over 2 spanners (scale 1-5).

Any help very much appreciated.

Andy.

Hi All,

having bought my new lexus 220d SE with the multimedia pack, the salesman suggested (unofficially) that the DVD player function could be modified so it plays on the move by doing something to the handbrake to send false signal to DVD unit. Salesman say he doesn't know where or how but did suggest it would invalidate warranty on the DVD unit.

Anyone know where I could get this done how much it might cost / if it is possible for someone who can do about any job in a haynes manual so long as it is not over 2 spanners (scale 1-5).

Andy.

You've just got to put a switch in the wire between the brake and the unit, but watching tv whilst trying to drive is not a good idea - please let me know what roads you're on so i can avoid you!

This will NOT work, as the system also has a motion detector which blanks the screen when reaching 3 miles per hour. You can confirm this by driving off with the screen playing, and your handbrake applied "just on a bit" IYSWIM

There is a hack involving complicated wiring alterations, and removal of half the cars interior if you want to bother ( and I also think it is a dumb idea to want to watch on the move )

- I know you will say "but it is for my passenger"

yeah right...until you get distracted and then.....CRASH!

Thanks guys. To be honest I was waiting for a flurry of 'oooh you don't want to do that - it is far too dangerous' e.t.c. The reason I want to do this is not to be wizzing down the road at 70mph watching some film.

I love my Lexus and drive it so carefully you wouldn't believe. What I would like to be able to do is to watch / glance at it whilst sitting in traffic. Yes, I know once I completely stop and apply the handbrake I can wait 3-4 seconds and it appears. The problem is that I find it very frustrating willing the traffic to stop when crawling at 2 mph so I can stop and put handbrake on without having to annoy the car behind who sees a gap of 10 car lengths appear before I pull off again. To be honest, I don't think I would look at it in these circumstances any more than I currently look at the screen to fiddle with sound settings e.t.c

Anyway, sounds as though no-one knows how to make the change which sounds like it is a big job.

Thanks for the advice (and any more to come...)

Andy

Consider this as the "flurry of you do NOT want to that messages " !!

I cannot for the life of me see where this is a safe practice, and what way of watching a film is that - to glance occasionaly at the screen when stopped /slow ??

Anyway, sounds as though no-one knows how to make the change which sounds like it is a big job.

Thanks for the advice (and any more to come...)

Andy

There is a modification and a few people have either completed it themselves or had it done by auto electricians. There's step by step colour pics of how to do it (including removing the air vents and the screen/mm unit) with a write up. It involves cutting wires, earthing others and if you are sensible putting in an isolation switch. The hack can be found on this site if you search for it, but I downloaded from a U.S Lex site. The hack also lets you operate the satnav on the move (or for your passenger to do so..preferable),

Hi All,

Andy.

The action you propose is illegal and would invalidate your insurance if involved in an accident. It just is not worth it. :duh:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links