Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Transmission Lurch

twodogs

hi all,

have just bought my first ls400 WOW! absolutely fantastic car, cannot believe how good these vehicles are.

I have one question if any of you could throw any light on it, when started from cold and the engine is ticking over a bit faster than when warm and i engage drive with the brake applied the car try's to lurch forward quite strongly, no clunk's or anything but quite a severe lurch against the brakes is this normal?. i expect a little more of a surge because of the increase in rev's and the softness of suspension but this really is to my mind quite exessive. once the car has run for a few min's and the rev's drop everything is normal and this does not happen. As i say i dont know if this is just because of the strength of the V8 or if something is needing adjustment but any opinions would be welcome.

thanks bob.

oop's think i've managed to post this in the wrong section sorry.

hi bob

it is the only thing with autos with the engine revs are picked up when cold it will jump in the gear but when warm it does the same just not so bad mine does the same when ever i can i take the foot off the brake as i put it in gear it gives the jerk a little less

hi bob

it is the only thing with autos with the engine revs are picked up when cold it will jump in the gear but when warm it does the same just not so bad mine does the same when ever i can i take the foot off the brake as i put it in gear it gives the jerk a little less

Mine does it too, that's why you cannot shift from park without your foot on the brake pedal, mine accelerates without touching the throttle pedal at cold idle.

Wait for the ice and snow that's when the fun begins if you don't have traction control! ( fortunately my import does)

Steve.

hi bob

Mine does it too, that's why you cannot shift from park without your foot on the brake pedal, mine accelerates without touching the throttle pedal at cold idle.

Wait for the ice and snow that's when the fun begins if you don't have traction control! ( fortunately my import does)

Steve.

thanks for that guy's i have'nt had a lot of dealings with auto's and just wondered if this was normal and yes i can see it being a lot of fun in the winter

regards bob.

• 11 months later...

Hi Bob. If I pull away cold. I can travel almost a mile & touching 30 mph Without touching the Accelerator Pedal. I did think of slowing down the tick over but it is Perfect after a mile or so! Maybe in the Snow or Ice you should warm the car up fully before selecting Drive!

Have Fun. Djdon.

post-20719-1194271191.jpg

Hi,

I found some interesting reading on the automatic transmission today and the link if you want to have a look too is below.

The one thing I didn't realise was when you shift from neutral to drive the transmission goes to either 3rd or 2nd gear before actually selecting 1st this is apparently to prevent "shift shock"

Anyway here's the link

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h16.pdf

Hi,

I found some interesting reading on the automatic transmission today and the link if you want to have a look too is below.

The one thing I didn't realise was when you shift from neutral to drive the transmission goes to either 3rd or 2nd gear before actually selecting 1st this is apparently to prevent "shift shock"

Anyway here's the link

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h16.pdf

I've always found that the 1990 to 1992 MKI's lurch forward a lot more than the MKII 1992-1994. I've put a few together on the same bit of road and always the MKI's goes forward faster, A little to fast for me though while sitting behind someone at the lights(Whoops, sorry).

As i say i dont know if this is just because of the strength of the V8 or if something is needing adjustment but any opinions would be welcome.

thanks bob.

Hi Bob, Welcome to LOC. Everything you say is normal. No adjustments needed. You will quickly become accustomed to the car as you will be behind the wheel at every given opportunity. Enjoy, Regards, Graham

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links