Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Problem

acro

i have a problem with my brakes when i drive i hear a sqeaking sound only on the right side of my car my mechs have skimmed the disc, looked at the pads and to no avail the sound dissapears once i apply the brake,

they suggest i try changing the caliper but they are not sure what should i do

caliper is starting to stick, strip them of the sliders and clean them up

that is what your problem is

Just had a similar problem with my X Reg IS200. Has been making a faint "tweet tweet" noise (not enough to get Sylvester going!) for a couple of weeks which I put down to the pads not being pulled clear of the discs. Fuel consumption has also been rising both in town and on motorways. This morning the squeak became a continuous metal on metal screech demanding attention!! With thinngs going all festive could only get front pads at a premium price at a local auto shop - don't ask the price - embarrasing - but they were Ferodo and a 200 mile trip is planned for Monday!

The "Front Pad change" in the knowledge base was brilliant! Keep up this good work.

Results - Front right wheel was difficult to turn once jacked up - really stiff. Must have been heating up and never noticed it - also increasing fuel consumption? Once caliper off - float was Ok but upper piston very tight in caliper - lower OK. Once pushed back in (G-Clamp across Piston / caliper) appeared to be better - rust? Screech was vibrating sheet metal "wear limit finger" rubbing on disc. Right front pad exchange took 40 minutes.

Checked left front - wear was less - also difficult to turn wheel - upper piston tight again loosened on being pushed in. Pad exchange time 25 minutes. Car now "creeps" when in "D" - never did before!

Will feed back on fuel consumption - if any change!

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I have experienced the same symptoms today in my 99V is200se auto. Coming off the motorway at 60mph the steering wheel was vibrating HEAVILY - too badly to be balancing :crybaby:

I was so worried that I had to stop on the hard shoulder!!

Checked the driverside front wheel (lower ball joints etc), these seemed fine but whilst I was inspecting this I felt alot of heat radiating from the disc, so much so it was uncomfortable to kneel beside the wheel. Also the alloy was BLACK - FULL OF BRAKE DUST.

Checked the front passenger side as a comparison, not as hot, wheel not as black.. In fact the was not much heat copming from the passenger side at all, what i would call 'normal'

Also as per fusion pete, the car does not creep when D/R is selected. This has always been the case since i purchased the car which was less than 3 months ago. From reading the other posts from MonsterMat et al I have come to the conclusion that I have a seized driver side caliper.

I feel I am a competent DIY mechanic, is it easy to strip the caliper down? do you recomend a brake cleaner? What parts if any need lubricating? Do I just push the piston in and out a few times?

Any assistance will be helpful..

today I bit the bullet & attmpted to unseize things.... I only did the drivers side caliper, the sliders were fine, the lower piston was fine but the upper piston was completely seized... took some gentle persuasion by my brother with a nylon mallet to free the SOB up..

I didn't have time to do the passenger side but the transformation was amazing, like fusion pete the car now creeps & it feels a bit more 'looser' to drive relative to when the piston was seized.

On a negative point the pads and discs were completely screwed so I'll have to sort this.

I just wanted to say that this forum is superb, the knowledge section is great also.

Keep up the posts!!!

Gold

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links