Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Little Confused

stcmharb

my is300 has a 2jz-ge vvt-i but like many im considering the 2jz-gte bit... now i understand most of what would be involved in converting but what is the differance in block configuration between the two, could you not make the ge twin with involved development or does it have to be single... guess that is where my question lies being whats the differance.... everywhere i look they only give me that one is N/a and the other just happens to be twin turbo...

idk im overtired and maybe over thinking it all but would like a lil help if you all could do so

thanks in advance :yawn:

Think it's up to you, the GTE does have differences which help it to run higher bhp, if you're only after a turbo kit you can go big single or twin turbo with the GE engine, all down to you and how you want drivability.

It's just that Toyota decided to go with two smaller turbos rather than one larger one!

Not many people on this forum have really played around with this, might be worth asking a similar question maybe on IS300.net is the USA or on the MKIV Supra UK site which is http://www.mkivsupra.net - those guys are mainly going single I think because it's just easier to get big bhp out of.

I think HKS stopped producing their twin turbo upgrade from what I read over there, there are kits available but they are expensive for what they are.

It's all down to what you're after - what sort of BHP are you looking to gain?

SRT Racing over in the US do nice upgrades for the IS300, may be worth looking into that?

They're on http://www.swiftracing.com/ if that gives you some ideas of figures with tgheir various stage kits :)

hey just watched your utube video lmao... your streets look difficult to find a good place to open up on ... i would rather have the two small ones for better acceleration and less turbo lag maybe go with a smaller one on one side compared to the other and work a step up.. all in good time for something as complex as thus ...but from what u say then it is true that i could go forth with my plans to make this is a twin with out an engine swap...

i did like the swift package and would do almost anything to have it except ship my only ride all the way to the west coast to have it done, and as far as information on things, it seems us americans keep :tsktsk: footing around the answer, maybe they dont know but give there cent and half worth to feel important.. idk but when you come across a lot such as them who are all running older cars or gloat over there n/a vehicles they borrowed from there parents and labeled as theres it gets too frustrating to weed through it... at least with you guys i can get a good answer

hp range id like to get in the high 400's to mid 500's but that ofcoarse would require me to upgrade my suspension which im leary about doing because i like the way my vehicle squats in the high speed turns maintaining almost perfect balance and control

by next month you all will be hearing alot from me tho as to upgrade wise hopefully when i recover from my financial demeanor at the moment

LOL yeah Christmas is a nightmare for emptying the bank balance!

I'm on value beans this month :lol:

For that sort of HP it would probably be cheaper to go with a big single, a lot of the guys over on the Supra site are always surprised how well a car with a well chosen big single performs, get the wrong one and it's like you have no accelleration until 5k rpm and then all hell brakes loose!

There are some great fountains of knowledge on this site for tuning, a guy called Mat Clawley has a twin turbo IS but that is the 2JZ-GTE which was transplated straight from a Supra, the only other guy I can think of from the top of my head with a TT IS is Spock, but that is the European 2 litre, maybe IG-GTE in his motor, not sure if was the standard 1g-FE?

Hopefully you'll be able to reach your endgame, it would certainly be an awesome machine :D

Just wondering if maybe you'd be happy with transplanting the two turbos off a Supe into your car, don't know if that would work as I'm not that technical unfortunately, maybe one of the tuners like TDI or Dave Ellen may be able to advise, but I guess there would be nothing stopping you getting some hybrids from the Supe, basically the standard turbos that have been rebuilt with steel internals as opposed to ceramic fins, then using those, maybe there are other easier options, like I say I don't know that much so don't want to give you any misinformation, but I read a bit and most of it tends to stick :D

Think you're goiung to need tranny upgrades as well in the car, are you running auto or stick shift? Think the autobox in the GTE cars is good for a bit of an upgrade, not sure what tranny you get with the GE equipped cars, and I think you'd definitely need to replace the manual box to hit those kinds of figures, not sure what HP the Supe boys are getting out of theirs!

Good luck with it all, looking forward to seeing what the resident tuners here advise :)

You'll love the sound these engines make, got a 2JZ-GTE and have been opening it up today as it's been pretty dry here, it's usually wet all winter so can't do a lot, but even upset a BMW Z4 M driver earlier, wasn't expecting to pull on that guy but that was fun, saw the guys in the office opening the windows to see what was driing past the other day when I booted it, they looked perplexed when they saw an old man's car drive in the office car park :lol:

hahah very nice yeah well ive done a lil as far as tighting a few things here running octane boosters and (for gas milage reasons) have my car set to kick you in the balls at the high rpms anyway yet keeping it silent a low rpms... only problem is that for some reason its hard to keep it out of the high rpm with out going really easy on the gas pedal and thats no easy task for me hehe,

i bought the car used and got screwed on the deal being as it was in my moms name and she did the dealing and stuff.. payed somewhere like 26,000 for it or something and being a 2002 i found that ridiculous.. but i was in a hurry and said :tsktsk: it... boy do i regret that one...

got it fully loaded with an auto tranny and that awkward steering shift control (which does have its highlights, like for control in drifting) all in all its a great car and can wait to drop the hood weight and drop a turbo in it.. thinking maybe i shall go for just a stage three with the mandral piping, new headers and such following closely to that srt based one.... we shall see

wondering how the combo of a T-66 / P .58 A/R- with Ceramic Ball Bearing, turbonetics turbo upgrade with the EPS Turbo system would do ... for only around 5 and half grand it says on a 3 liter engine it should make about 550 coupled to my ect that might be nice plus i could sell the turbo the kit comes with hehe

for now tho i need to bring it back to the body shop because (being a body tech myself) i noted alot of things that pointed to sloppy work and shoddy attention span by the ppl my insurance hired... oh well they said 100% gaurentee for there work... they will regret that now....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links