Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, I'm a noob with a problem!

I recently purchased an M reg GS300 Mk1 Automatic, which I'm loving, all except a couple of minor issues.

I noticed a hissing sound which I thought at first was the fan, but having listened a little closer it is definitely coming from elsewhere.

The hissing only occurs when the car is accelerating, and goes when the brakes are applied. I thought at first it may be a slow puncture, and my suspiscion was strenthened after testing the brakes at above 60mph- the front passenger wheel appeared to 'wobble'.

Since then I've checked the pressure of all the tyres- all at 28PSI, and the air pressure machine does not indicate a puncture.

Anyone have any ideas? I suppose it could be a wheel bearing or brake piston which I haven't checked yet- if so that would leave the hissing sound which is starting to concern me......Any ideas anyone?!

Thanks

Shaun

Hello

My partner had this with her car and it was the master cylinder for the brakes.

A way i have been told if its a wheel bearing is to hold each side of the wheel and shake it, if it has movement then it may be a wheel bearing.

Are all your wheel nuts done up?

Im sure others will come along and advise.

Aaron

Hello

My partner had this with her car and it was the master cylinder for the brakes.

A way i have been told if its a wheel bearing is to hold each side of the wheel and shake it, if it has movement then it may be a wheel bearing.

Are all your wheel nuts done up?

Im sure others will come along and advise.

Aaron

Thanks Aaron. Will try again with the bearing, is the master cylinder a costly job? The reason I ask is I bought the car trade and the cyclinder sound has been getting worse since I got it only a week ago....

hi and Welcome to LOC :)

If the noise is only there when the engines under load id say theres a leak on the induction side of the engine from the air filter box to the induction on the engine.When look under the bonnet that will be on the left hand side.

Chips.

thanks Chips.

The problem has got worse today, the wobbling has started appearing randomly in driving not just braking, and only goes when I slow down to around 40. If I accelarate back up again the wobbling generally doesn't reoccur for some time.

Its more like a violent juddering now- the steering wheel in particular vibrates hard, so if anyone has any further ideas, I'd be grateful to hear them.

i tried spinning the wheels and the front ones stop very quickly and the back ones barely move. The brakes are sticking because the calipers are f*cked.

Anyone know whether I can get a repair kit for them? And whether costs-wise its cheaper than getting new ones? If not can anyone advise where to pick new ones up on the cheap?

Thanks

Hi,

Ah so it was the brakes and not the induction :D

You could clean the floating bit of the calipers up as they do corrode and they stick rather than central both pads.The pistons might be the problem.Cleaning the rust off and greasing the sliding parts might fix the problem.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links