Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Get Rid Of Smoke Smell?

GreyArea

Is there anyway to get rid of the smell of smoke from my car? I've had it a month now and it's starting to annoy me. I didn't really notice it when I first bought it, but each time I get in now, I can smell stale smoke. Air fresheners just cover the smell, so I'm after something that will get the smell out of the fabric, without damaging the leather.

If you have money to spend Lexus dealers have a special kit which fumigates and cleans the whole interior of car and the air vent system but it's about 150 quid I think. It depends on how bad the smell is - I was looking to buy an LS a while ago that had belonged to cigar smoker and even after the clean it was not perfect.

Optionally get the car a full valet (this removes smell for interior surfaces) and then switch on your air con fully, making sure recirculate air is off, and then get out and close car doors. Then open bonnet and locate air vents (usually under wipers) and spray in something like Oust or 2in1 or any odour destroying spray. This will fumigate the whole AC system. You may also want to consider having air filters replaced as they will be full of smoke/tar.

good luck

Hi mate, as previously mentioned above i would suggest having an interior detail from a professional. They will wet and dry vac all your carpets and condition your leather. Im sure this will remove the smell of the smoke. If u want to know of a detailer in your area that can do it then drop me a pm and ill suggest someone to you. Good luck

if the smell isnt too bad ... u can try to see if this works:

- remove all the carpets (clean with some spray carpet cleaner/de-odourizer)

- put some water in an electric kettle, and place it in your car. (maybe run the wire via a window slit, and cover the slit up with tape.

- turn on AC and recirculate

- close all doors and windows

- let kettle boil and steam inside your car for a 5 mins

Hopefully this will help.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll give the steam trick a try, and if that doesn't cure it, look into the detailing.

I'm so glad I found this forum, it's an indespensible source of information!

Simon

go to Halfords and get a air conditioner cleaner, its like a spray can, you pull trigger and place in the back with air con on full and it's a de-oderisor and kills bactiria. thats if the steam trick doesnt work or you want to improve it even more.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll give the steam trick a try, and if that doesn't cure it, look into the detailing.

I'm so glad I found this forum, it's an indespensible source of information!

Simon

:offtopic: How is your car going otherwise Simon? You had some unfortunate problems when you first got it - are they sorted and are you enjoying it more now?

Mike

:offtopic: How is your car going otherwise Simon? You had some unfortunate problems when you first got it - are they sorted and are you enjoying it more now?

Mike

Hi Mike

I put it in my local friendly garage yesterday, to get a suspension knock examined - the nearside shock is leaking, and they said they could fit me a pair of gas shocks for about £220 inc labour, which seems reasonable, but I might buy the KYB ones and get them to fit them for me. Had the headlamps adjusted too, so I can see where I'm going a bit better at night now! Sadly, I've managed to put two new scratches into the front skirt, as I'm just not used to having one, but that's only £90 for a respray!

Other than that, I love the car and when I win the lottery, I will buy a new one, rather than second hand :lol:

Simon

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links