Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Karake Chop Boot Lid Mk! Gs 300!

Hi Guys

Well They arrived today, my replacment gas struts for the boot lid of my mk1, they were from a breakers yard and about the same age as my car (96) no leaks and seem strong, but I changed them over and the ones that came off seem just the same ie no leaks and strong.

However the boot lid still needs a strong army of blokes to lift it and still will fall down in a strong wind, with such a force that it would chop off a childs arm i'm sure if it got in the way. What should I do to cure this.... it's dangerous. :unsure:

I know it's a common problem so has anyone come up with a soloution? :whistling:

Hi there,

I have a ’99 LS400 and the gas struts for the bonnet are already weak (they are the original ones that came with the car). When its up its up, but when there is a strong wind the bonnet comes down with so much force I’m scared its goanna chop someone’s head off while they are checking the oil or something !!!

I might be stating the obvious here but if they came from another 96 car, that chances are they were probably weak as well by that age. When they are off its gonna feel strong with the gas pressure, but its only when you fit them and they are under a load that you can tell if its any good..

Again it’s a fairly common problem on LS bonnets as well. The best thing might be to get either original ones from Toyota which are very expensive or remanufactured ones from the US which have been re-gassed and new seals put on them etc.

If anyone has any ideas i'd be interested too.....

Are these things really bespoke items or are they made as commodity items in various lengths and strengths?

Seems to me that most manufacturers wouldn't go to the effort of designing a gas strut to lift 46kg up for 23cm, when they could buy a part off the shelf which would lift 52kg up 19cm. They'd just make sure the mountings were placed so the cheaper part would do the job.

In other words, poke about a bit and you might find the same part for another vehicle for lower cost?

Look here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Range-Rover-P38-Tail...1QQcmdZViewItem

Mike

peter richards on the mk4 supra net forum sourced a supply of aftermarket gas struts at a very reasonable price. Drop him a PM I'm sure he'd share the info with you.

Thanks guys I didn't think of that DERRRR! that the breakers yard ones might be just as bad, being of a similar age :blink: will start the search for a new pair, will ask Pete as you said.

Cheers.

Mike.

Mike

If you get no joy I got a set off the US eBay site from a guy who shipped to the UK.

If I remeber correctly I paid about £40 for a pair plus about a tenner for postage.

It was a while ago now, but there does seem to be a lot more parts available at sensible prices in the US even when you take account of postage costs, and the dollar exchage rate is good.

For comparison when I fitted my new ones when I open the boot from the release in the car it pops open a touch and then with just a little help it opens fully.

Keith

Mike

If you get no joy I got a set off the US Ebay site from a guy who shipped to the UK.

If I remeber correctly I paid about £40 for a pair plus about a tenner for postage.

It was a while ago now, but there does seem to be a lot more parts available at sensible prices in the US even when you take account of postage costs, and the dollar exchage rate is good.

For comparison when I fitted my new ones when I open the boot from the release in the car it pops open a touch and then with just a little help it opens fully.

Keith

Thanks Kieth This set came from the states but as has been mentioned are old as well, just been surfing and found a company in Northampton claiing to be able to supply ant gas strut replacement to any car! so have dropped them a e mail.

the site is: http://www.strutsdirect.co.uk/components/index.php

What a fantastic car tho!! my favourite car I have owned of all time. :D

• 4 weeks later...

:D Right guys I have solved this problem now, I sent my original struts to SGS engineering in Derby, they "re gas" these things, and did mine for £47.00 the pair inc postage which I thought was V reasonable, he also turned them round back to me in 3 days! now my boot pops open when I pull the lever and my back is now safe form being chopped!

Anyone who is interested in his service shoud contact andy@sgs-engineering.com

Mike.

;)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links