Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

Looking at converting my stock headlight bulbs to Bi Xenon but not sure about it.

Have seen these on eBay.com which work out about £93.00 incl delivery.

Your comments would be invaluable.

Also Are the standard bulbs H4's? on the 94 series 2 and whats the best colour temperature as there's a choice.

Thanks and cheers,

Steve

Arrrr good point here's the link to the eBay kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...mMakeTrack=true

I would go for it.

Would give the car a younger look.

They did a HID conversion on a MK.1 LS400 on the "Deals on Wheels" it really suited it.

If I still had my LS then I would be doing it.

It's not a good idea. Sorry.

There was an article in a recent Auto Express that explained the problem.

A standard Halogen type bulb emits light from a filament which means it comes from almost a single point and the lens is designed to focus that.

On a HID bulb, the gas emits the light which means the light source is relatively spread and the lens is not designed to focus it. It's similar to the difference you get between a standard household bulb and a fluorescent tube only on a much smaller scale.

The results of the report say that it should fail an MOT on the light pattern. Apparently it doesn't always, but you run the risk each year.

I've used the Osram SilverStar and Philips Vision Plus on other cars and although they are compromise they are an improvement on the standard bulbs.

KEITH

on the american site its much discussed and it appears that you will be dazzling oncoming traffic with this conversion on the earlier ls's but been american it also advises them to try to locate european light units which have differant lense patterns ! DOH

over to anyone thats done this conversion

having said that, mines a 91 import and this week ive been doing night commuting and if no oncoming traffic use high beam ( no problem) using dip beam ok but can you stop in the distance you can see with these new lights.obviously not seeing the new merc embedded in a fallen tree on a straight road after he'd followed me up my exhaust for 2 to 3 miles then shot off into the distance, did I laugh,no cos the git blocked the road for an hour till some one came and shifted him, and no, i didnt grass him to the bobbies but i sure as hell told him what i thought of his driving !!

bugger!

I just bought an HID conversion for low beam :shutit:

The place in Sheffeild I got it from (through flea-bay) say it's suitable for glass and plastic traditional lense headlight.

It's a Bosch kit too not joe blogs import from malaysia. ;)

We shal see, hope it works and I don't have to take it back out again. :crybaby:

bugger!

I just bought an HID conversion for low beam :shutit:

The place in Sheffeild I got it from (through flea-bay) say it's suitable for glass and plastic traditional lense headlight.

It's a Bosch kit too not joe blogs import from malaysia. ;)

We shal see, hope it works and I don't have to take it back out again. :crybaby:

I'll wait and see how yours goes before deciding. How does the single beam conversion work though as you are replacing hi/low beam H4 bulbs?

Cheers,

Steve

If I remember correctly you can really only use an HiD conversion kit if you have headlamps with 'projector' type lamps, my Mk1 GS has them and I have converted to HiD, no problems at MOT time cos I have headlamp washer and manual levelling, both of which are pre-requisites for using HiD bulbs.

Most modern Audi's, BM's and Mercs have such kit normally with HiD's as standard.

I don't think I'm going to bother with the conversion but I am going to try the better quality halagon types as recommended in an earlier post.

This way I will save £80.00 and will be able for the 1st time to see the fuel gauge at full when I use this money to fill up!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got round to fitting my HID kit.... WOW!

The difference is amazing!

I can't belive I messed around with my previous cars with so called high power and extra bright bulbs which gave little difference.

The LS headlight has a cap inside the headlight which stops the direct lighthitting the front lense and therefore the pattern (marked the old one out on the garage door) is exactly the same just loads brighter!

Not sure about the MOT fears that people have but it would be a 10 min job to put the standard bulbs back in so I'm going for the HID's for now,

Best mod I've bought. :)

Well I finally got round to fitting my HID kit.... WOW!

The difference is amazing!

I can't belive I messed around with my previous cars with so called high power and extra bright bulbs which gave little difference.

The LS headlight has a cap inside the headlight which stops the direct lighthitting the front lense and therefore the pattern (marked the old one out on the garage door) is exactly the same just loads brighter!

Not sure about the MOT fears that people have but it would be a 10 min job to put the standard bulbs back in so I'm going for the HID's for now,

Best mod I've bought. :)

Hi Alex ,

I have got to see these!!

Cheers,

Steve

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links