Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is Steering

Hello all, first time ive started a topic in a while.

Over the past few days my IS has started to develop a creeky/squeeking noise when turning the wheels. The way in which my driveway is layed out means its quite a tight manouver and required a few full lock to opposite lock turns, without moving at any significant speed.

When im turning the wheel, these noises occur, and you can feel some resistance through the steering wheel along with a jurkey motion whilst turning the wheel.

i hope this makes sense.

any idea what the problem is? is it serious? could it be down to the cold?

another thing to note is that once in moving on the road the resistence and noise seem to go away.

Cheers

dan

Sounds like the power steering pump - used to happen on my dad's old Merc all the time (as it used to drink power steering fluid :blink: )

Not sure how in the IS, but I'd check the fluid level for starters

mine is making a noise aswell. but mine creak when ur moving. when going over bumps. but it started the same way as u described. i tightened the belt and that made it better but now its all the time and coming from the passenger front wheel area.

not sure if this is the same thing but it sounds like it!!!

cheers for the response guys, well ive checked the levels of the power steering fluid and its up to the max level, completely clear when you look inside, but looks blue on the outside (i assume thats normal).

also checked tyre preasures and they are fine, i did a final check to make sure the wheels are not rubbing against anything like the lining which you remove to get to front fogs but again all is well there.

ive done a quick search but its like looking for a needle in a haystack, the few threads i have found all mention the tensioner, is it easy to tighten? i wouldnt even know where to look to find it let alone tighten it.

cheers for the response guys, well ive checked the levels of the power steering fluid and its up to the max level, completely clear when you look inside, but looks blue on the outside (i assume thats normal).

Might be a silly question, but did you check that with the engine running?

Might be a silly question, but did you check that with the engine running?

no mate, engine was off and hadnt been started since yesterday.

does it make a difference?

Again this is only going on this Merc we used to own, but to check the fluid level the engine needed to be running

Again this is only going on this Merc we used to own, but to check the fluid level the engine needed to be running

cheers will have a look today, if this is not the case, it looks like the belt may be the cause,

does anyone know how to tighten it? or is it a job for the garage?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links