Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Linux Os

MrADeveci

The only trouble with Linux is that if you have an issue with networking, you will find it very hard to get support as all the help is on the web. Unless you have a Linux fiend amongst your friends you could run into trouble if, for example, you have a funny wireless network card and can't get online. At least with Windows everyone knows it so these things can be handled by your neighbours kid if neccessary...

I can see an argument along those lines, but it's built on a bit of logic that I'm not sure I agree on.

With linux, you can get help online.

With windows, online or not, if something doesn't go right then you're all alone in the cold dark night.

Hello? Please help me... I just wanted to see a few girls and some good stuff, I didn't know I'd get a virus.

I'm scared! :crybaby:

Besides - it does seem recently that most "neighbour's kids" would be as good with linux.

:lol:

Good luck to you!

Linux sucks big time!

People complain about windows all the time, but the fact remains they made using a computer easy...

You'll find apple made that happen.

However, Ive got a mate who uses Linus Scarface, i'll ask him for some pointers.

Not wanting to get into a historical argument here - because yes, apple had the first GUI interface, yet Windows was the OS that propogated through the PC world to make everyday people able to use computers while Mac's were still used mainly by the design world... :winky:

And no SF, i havent used those you metioned, as i said, I have to use it for development, so stuck with RH and Fedora rather than something slightly more user friendly..

The only trouble with Linux is that if you have an issue with networking, you will find it very hard to get support as all the help is on the web. Unless you have a Linux fiend amongst your friends you could run into trouble if, for example, you have a funny wireless network card and can't get online. At least with Windows everyone knows it so these things can be handled by your neighbours kid if neccessary...

It always worthwhile to check ur network card is compatible with Linux before you install it. The list of compatible network cards is constantly growing so it shouldnt be a problem for much longer

In addition to what RS2 mentiones, although there are a lot more network cards supported these days, you defo want to try and avoid ATI cards for the moment due to them being funny about releaseing their drivers. Nvidia seem to be the way forward at teh moment.

I took a little video clip of the goodies on my server for you ;) This is running on an ATI 300 card, so rock bottom spec :) But it is only my server :)

http://www.jiberjaber.org.uk/loc/stuff%20010.avi

Ubuntu is a fast, free and easy installation.

You can burn it to cd and have a look around it without installing it, just by booting from the CD.

I'd say: Give it a go, and see what you think.

Personally I'm fine with ubuntu, and you can always install xfce or KDE later.

For me the notion of "kubuntu and xubuntu" kind of go against what linux is about. Gnome works, and everything else is easy to install and replace it with.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links