Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Towbar And Electrics

Can those who have a towbar fitted, advise if they had a Lexus-branded one (including electrics) or did you go for another brand?

I opted for the Lexus kit - the whole thing (bar and two looms) went in very easily. However, until I hook the van up, I can't be sure if the van socket all works. I have tested what I can with a meter.

I have checked the tralier socket with a trailer board and it all works, but there is no audible warning, or additional light on the dash to show the trailer indicators are working. I have found a spare fuse socket in the box under bonnet which says 'Trailer', but there is no fuse. Any ideas?

Anyone else with a twin Lexus setup have a fuse in this one?

Can those who have a towbar fitted, advise if they had a Lexus-branded one (including electrics) or did you go for another brand?

I opted for the Lexus kit - the whole thing (bar and two looms) went in very easily. However, until I hook the van up, I can't be sure if the van socket all works. I have tested what I can with a meter.

I have checked the tralier socket with a trailer board and it all works, but there is no audible warning, or additional light on the dash to show the trailer indicators are working. I have found a spare fuse socket in the box under bonnet which says 'Trailer', but there is no fuse. Any ideas?

Anyone else with a twin Lexus setup have a fuse in this one?

I have recently had a detachable towbar and twin electrics fitted to my Mk 2 RX, it was fitted by Lexus Hedge End and is a Lexus branded unit but manufactured by Westfalia.

Initially I too was concerned that no indicator tell-tale was evident. I questioned the dealer on this and was simply told that such a device was no longer a legal requirement.

This of course is rubbish and a letter to the Caravan Club confirmed it. The club advised that I remove an indicator bulb from the caravan whist hitched up to check the effect. This proved that a tell-tale device is fitted as there was an increased flashing rate of the car's indicators, similar to a bulb failure when solo.

A quick search of Westfalia's website showed that their electrics kits are fitted with a device called Westfalia-Tronic which is designed to show a malfunction in the caravan's signal system in exactly this way.

As a matter of interest, Lexus Croydon where I bought the car quoted around £1200.00 for the towbar and electrics. Lexus Hedge End did it for £680 which inluded collection and delivery of the car. Bargain!

Thank you for the reply - I will try this out with my trailer board to see if it also does this.

Hopefully someone will be along to answer the 'Trailer' Fuse question.

Sorry forgot that bit. There is no fuse fitted in mine either.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the reply - I will try this out with my trailer board to see if it also does this.

Hopefully someone will be along to answer the 'Trailer' Fuse question.

Sorry forgot that bit. There is no fuse fitted in mine either.

My dealer told me the fuse is an in-line fuse and is located inside the lining of the boot under the left (I think) rear quarter light.

He said Lexus told him to put it there as it is not intended to be user replaceable.

I think that is very strange and worrying if a fuse goes when a bulb blows when you are miles from home or a dealer and it is midnight!!!

Btw my dealer fitted a detachable towbar for me. I think the cost was approx £600. But it saves my shins when I am loading the boot!

Billy

I got a Westafalia detachable towbar from Towequipe (www.towequipe.com) and got a single electrics kit from Lexus Aberdeen - installation was a doddle, audible alarm is fitted in the luggage area with the relays. No dashboard light.

Cost of towbar £300 cost of electrics ~£60 fitting one man, one day

I got a Westafalia detachable towbar from Towequipe (www.towequipe.com) and got a single electrics kit from Lexus Aberdeen - installation was a doddle, audible alarm is fitted in the luggage area with the relays. No dashboard light.

Cost of towbar £300 cost of electrics ~£60 fitting one man, one day

That sounds a much better deal than mine! half price!!Well done!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links