Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello there...

what about a IS250 SE-L with MM and 18's? i must get some pics up, as the 18's make all the difference IMHO..... an ex demonstrator seems to make the best sense, we managed to save 5K doind it that way...

Do you think that buying the new Lexus is worth it or should I go for something different? And if it's a Lexus, which Model would you recommend and with what extra's?

I think an idea of budget will help as it's a pretty open question without it. Also, as as this is the Lexus Owners Club - asking a question like should I buy a Lexus or something different will generally only get one answer, and if you've gone to the trouble of registering then you know what your decision will be as well B)

Overall the car is fantastic value for money. That's where it is peerless.

On the whole, engines and gearbox's are also very good from a reliability and driveability point of view...

From a "which model" perspective I would say SE-L spec if you can afford it/within budget, but the SE is extremely well kitted out, and I would still maintain that the Multimedia is excellent overall as a package. Unless there are benefits for you WRT a diesel, stick with the Petrol and an Auto box.

My experience with regards to quality is that the new IS (if that's what you are considering) is on a par with any other maker (though some people on the forum like to think it's better). This comes from 16 months of experience and having driven 6 new IS's and everything else except the LS, though I have sat in the new LS and it did seem to have the squeaky plastic trim around the Satnav screen...not good if you're considering spending £70k+list...I was surprised!

As someone coming over from the "other side" and this being my first Lexus, after 16 months I would say that if you:

Expect 1st rate customer service - you'll get around 9/10 at most dealers. Some are 10/10 others are not.

Expect 1st Rate quality - depending on the model you buy, you could get between 6/10 if you're one of the unlucky ones or 10/10.

So choose carefully, and I would say buy the newest you can afford, especially as far as the new IS is concerned. There are some ars that rattle (IS, GS and RX). Test your dealer by saking them about this, and if they say "...naaah, it's only one or 2 and there is a fix..." it's purely sales spatter...and if they state "...that they don't rattle and never heard of it..." then ask to speak to service chap or walk away!!

There are many cars with some problems (no different to any make of car) and it is difficult to tell what proportion though some on here think it's the minority, whilst from my experience I haven't driven a perfectly quiet new IS yet!

Good luck!

I'm new to the forum as I too am looking for a new car. What I have gleaned so far is, if you can afford it the IS250 Sel Auto with MM ( if you want it) is the one to go for.

A simillar question was asked of one of the broadsheets motoring expert last Saturday, his reply was the 2.2 diesel with the Sport set of gear ratios - it's a good car with a great engine. The IS250 petrol has to be automatic, because the engine and six-speed manual box just don't feel right together.

Thanks guys. The budget is around 25. It's just that I've heard the manual gear-box isn't that great and it's hard to put into gears, which is why more people opt for the Auto-box. I personally think the Lexus is better than any other prestige car, because you get better value for money and the people at Lexus actually want to talk to you. So far, that's been my experience, anyway.

I'm currently driving a Leon FR, which is a great car, but I'm just looking to mature, really. Seems like a great bunch of people on these forums, though.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links