Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another Newish Member/couple Of Questions

just got a mk1 gs300 sport

whats the long black thingy on the rear parcel shelf,

don`t seem to have a traction control switch as it says in the handbook,did some get made with and some without?

switches to the right of the steering wheel and lower down, there is a button that presses in and unlocks with the ignition key...whats that for?

overall very nice car but dissapointing on the acceleration.

thanks in advance

Button on right locks boot lid and stops it being opened form the inside without a key and the long thing on the rear shelf must be the high level brake light or the rear speaker.As for the acceleration i think it depends on previous car i had a T5R so also find it a bit tame but hell of a lot smoother and more comfortable plus it has not broken down yet which is more than can be said for volvo(new gearbox needed 31,000m cost £3500 :crybaby: ). Traction control was only on left hand drive models according to handbook.

thanks for the replies,

the switch makes sence now,

the long black thingy is still a mystery as the high level brake light is in the rear spoiler and there is a speaker also on the rear shelf,but also this long black plastic cover.

i was comparing the acceleration to my last car bmw 325,

only had it three days and love it otherwise,

the comfort and quietness is something else,

got to go........ needs polishig again

Button on right locks boot lid and stops it being opened form the inside without a key ...

Just to add to that statement. The boot can only be unlocked with a Master Key. If you push the switch in and give someone a Sub-key then they will be able to drive the vehicle but not open the boot (or the glove compartment). I guess this would see more use in the U.S market where it is common place to have someone park your car (and in my wife's case that's a blessing :))

Hi,

I've got the GS300SE, which I think has a 'Sport' spoiler. The spoiler has a brakelight in it, and the 'long plastic thingy' just behind the big speaker on the rear shelf also has a high-level brakelight in it.

I'm guessing here, but I assume the build of the 2 cars is virtually identical, and that if it is finished as a 'Sport' model, the high level light is put in the spoiler, or in the case of the SE, the rear window. The one in my window is pretty useless with the spoiler on, as the spoiler obscures it.

The long-plastic-thingy is therfore probably a surplus requirement during factory building.

Hope this helps.

Factory Sports did not have a rear brake light fitted inside the car, the parcel shelf was blank. Lots of none Sport cars were turned into Sports after they were registered. I know cause I changed my Legato into a Sport but still had an internal brake light, be it disconnected :D

I would guess this is what happened ;)

Now i am getting worried bought my sport model 4 weeks ago from main dealer and paid sport money it has 18" alloys etc but no rear brake light in spoiler have i bought a non sport model badged up as a sport ,log book just states GS300 but service book states sport do,s anyone know the difference or is there a deffenate way of telling.

just been on

lexus.co.uk site

the only difference i can see between the legato and sport apart from cosmetics are the sport has a 12 cd changer in the boot and a electric tilt and slide sunroof

mine has these

My MK1 Sport has "GS300 Sport" on the Registration document and on the service book so I have no doubt it's a genuine factory Sport variant.

I think you'll find that the black plastic cover on the rear parcel shelf is just a blanking cover for the location of the high level brake light on the non-sport models. It makes no sense to have a significantly different setup between different variants when it is only consmetic changes between models. The old high level brake light couldn't be seen when a sport spoiler is fitted so they just covered it up with a slab of black plastic (which is warped on mine and vibrates against the rear window :angry: )

Mudzs - I would ask your main dealer why you haven't got the brake light in the rear spoiler, the Sports should defintiely have one there :arrrggg-matey:

After making some calls it seems that all sport models start life as normal spec cars but when they arrive in this country they have all the bits put on them at the port.Also cars built after 1996 had brake light in window not in spoiler.Also in most cases log book will not state sport :question:

After making some calls it seems that all sport models start life as normal spec cars but when they arrive in this country they have all the bits put on them at the port.Also cars built after 1996 had brake light in window not in spoiler.Also in most cases log book will not state sport :question:

That makes no sense to me because my car is a '97 model and has the brake light in the spoiler.

Besides you can't see the brake light in the rear window if the spoiler is fitted so what's the point of it being there <_<

I accept that the log book won't always state "sport" because there was a thread about this a while ago and people have got genuine sports models that don't specify this on the log book.

The Sport was and is a UK spec only. The engine in the Sport is the same as the other models. Same goes for the transmission and brakes. The Sport had 'cosmetic' differences such as the spoiler and changes to the wheels/tyres sizes and lower suspension height.

Check out the Lexus site: www.lexus.co.uk/approved.php?area=gs_archive&model=gs300sportmk1

The GS archive on the site has specs for all the variants:

www.lexus.co.uk/approved.php?area=gs_archive

The GS models should all be as quick in a straight line but the Sport model should hang on better in corners.

my brake light is in the window ,not the spoiler. Its lowered, has the sport stickers in the rear windows and has the 18 inch wheels, albeit from the series 2. Nothing on the reg doc about sport but then did they do em in 94?

I know my car has a dodgy past so I can only guess the previous owner wanted a sport lookalike. He must have bin gutted when it was nicked and crashed. :(

I just looked through all cars in the gs300 gallery and could not find one with the brake light in the spoiler could this be an aftermarket spoiler .Also parkers list sport bhp as 218 and standard car as 209 bhp and 0.2 seconds difference in the 0-60 time ,anyone know why. :question:

I have seen a couple of cars with the light in the spoiler and they have all been sports. This is something I have only noticed in the last couple of weeks and like buses, you notice them altogether. On a slightly different subject, does anyone know if a 94 model should have headlight washers on the front bumper or is this another sport option I have aquired? :D

The sport is the same bhp as a standard car, the difference you quote is that 209bhp is a series one car, a 218bhp car is a series two sport which is the same as any series two model,

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links