Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello out there

Does anyone know where I can get some new, or re-furbished bonnet gas struts for my '98 Mk4 LS400 please. The price from Lexus is, as usual, ludicrous, as is the fact that they have failed before the car had completed 70,000 miles! Also does anyone know how to change the backlight behind the clock please. The passenger and driver temperature backlights are fine.

Probably the cheapest option is on eBay.com even taking into account the shipping they still work out better than uk prices.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...&category0=

Be aware you may have to pay duty on them! ( 17.5%)

BTW it may be worth trying to reprime the old ones by lifting the bonnet up and down a few times.

Bonnet struts: - these are item which arn't affected by mileage but by age. After 9 years i'd imagine the rubber seals start to break up and let the gas escape. nothing major or complicated, shame the OEM ones are so expensive.

you can try http://www.strutsdirect.co.uk/components/index.php

This was bought up in an earlier thread.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=38802

Clock back light: - in an earlier thread somebody mentioned how they replaced their passenger and driver temp bulbs by taking out the unit. Its most probably the same proceedure since clock just sits int he middle ? I cant remember if i saw it on the UK or the US forum but try search.

Let us know how you get on :)

ive the same problem with my mk4, dismantled everything last week and cant find the bulbs?????? ITS NOT THE SAME AS THE TUTORIAL AS FOR THE MK1,2,3. circiut board is totally different, gave up in the end, if u do find a fix for it let me know cheers

Probably the cheapest option is on ebay.com even taking into account the shipping they still work out better than uk prices.

BTW it may be worth trying to re prime the old ones by lifting the bonnet up and down a few times.

Hi, I have been looking in breakers for these struts for months with no luck. Lexus want £85 plus VAT Each. That's £199.75 for the Pair! I have just found a pair Thanks to your eBay link & ordered them a few moments ago. I cant believe the price of $46.85 The pair, including Shipping & insurance. I think that's about £25. That's Great. Thank you very much for great advice.

I just need a front side light assembly now due to a stone chip if you know anywhere.Again Lexus want nearly £100 with the vat!

Thank Again Kind Regards. djdon

Hi DJdon, I hope i'm not the bearer of bad news but are you sure that the struts you have ordered are for a 1998 Mark 1V. Please check this link as 1998 saw a design change in the USA version and have noticed that 1997 struts will not fit Lexus Generations.

Hi Graham. Nothing I can do now as I have them on the way. I hope there right. mine is a 1996P I did state that when ordering. I have my fingers crossed. There was several types to choose from. I think I got it right, I'll let you know when they arrive! Thanks Again

DJ don, Apologies. When reading the posts, I got confused between yourself and the topic starter (mdowning 1998 MarkIV). Reading through again. i'm pretty certain you have the right parts. Once again, sorry for giving you a bit of a shock. Graham.

DJ don, Apologies. When reading the posts, I got confused between yourself and the topic starter (mdowning 1998 MarkIV). Reading through again. i'm pretty certain you have the right parts. Once again, sorry for giving you a bit of a shock. Graham.

Hi again. yes you did have me worried for a while.lol I think I have got the right ones I Looked at a couple of ls 400s over the weekend all facelift models as I wanna update. The struts were gone on all of them. Im looking forward to my new struts but with the post strike *** knows when I'll receive them. Have a good day!

Hi again. yes you did have me worried for a while.lol I think I have got the right ones I Looked at a couple of ls 400s over the weekend all facelift models as I wanna update. The struts were gone on all of them. Im looking forward to my new struts but with the post strike *** knows when I'll receive them. Have a good day!

Can you let me know wherabouts you have managed to find an LS400 in a breakers, There area couple of bits I could do with and the nearest breaker to me doesn't seem to get LS400's in. I need some clips and bits to go under the bonnet and hold down the rubbers etc, I was quoted a ridiculous proce for a peice of rubber by Lexus Croydon.

Cheers

Chris.

Can you let me know wherabouts you have managed to find an LS400 in a breakers, There area couple of bits I could do with and the nearest breaker to me doesn't seem to get LS400's in. I need some clips and bits to go under the bonnet and hold down the rubbers etc, I was quoted a ridiculous proce for a peice of rubber by Lexus Croydon.

Cheers

Chris.

Hi It is very rare to find a ls400 in a breakers yard, but i did find a few on eBay but didnt have the bits i need. but I used s place up in York. "Simpson Bros" tel 01759 372977 They do a mail order service. Hope they can help you. Good luck.

Cheers

Chris.

Hi It is very rare to find a ls400 in a breakers yard, but i did find a few on eBay but didnt have the bits i need. but I used s place up in York. "Simpson Bros" tel 01759 372977 They do a mail order service. Hope they can help you. Good luck.

Probably the cheapest option is on ebay.com even taking into account the shipping they still work out better than uk prices.

BTW it may be worth trying to re prime the old ones by lifting the bonnet up and down a few times.

Hi, I have been looking in breakers for these struts for months with no luck. Lexus want £85 plus VAT Each. That's £199.75 for the Pair! I have just found a pair Thanks to your eBay link & ordered them a few moments ago. I cant believe the price of $46.85 The pair, including Shipping & insurance. I think that's about £25. That's Great. Thank you very much for great advice.

I just need a front side light assembly now due to a stone chip if you know anywhere.Again Lexus want nearly £100 with the vat!

Thank Again Kind Regards. djdon

24th Oct 07. My Struts arrived from U.S this morning & have now been fitted on my car. Took 15 days to arrive (bear in mind the post strike) I thought that was excellent, They fitted PERFECT & I'm very happy with them! Djdon.

Brilliant (aint it great when something works out) A friend of mine has gone fishing in Florida for 2 weeks and has promised to bring back a set for me.

I hope he brings you back more than a pair of bonnet struts! lol I really did expect a problem simply because of the price. £26 the Pair! & That was with the optional £3 insurance! I Still think there was a mistake somewhere!, I was quoted by Lexus £85 plus VAT "EACH"

They did do another Pair that was £10 pair more expensive but came with a "Lifetime" Warranty. I wish I had bought them instead now but I will next time. If I only get a few years out of these ones I'll be very happy.However they look & feel very strong, they lift the bonnet on their own once you have started the lift. I think they are brilliant I'm Sure they will last as long as the mega expensive Lexus ones!

Well my Cam belt & brakes were renewed as well & so I'm looking forward to the London to Brighton run this Sunday, Hope to see you there!

Best Wishes. djdon

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links