Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Vrm Vrm says it all... :D

The car is a good all rounder. Like all cars it has it's gremlins, but you can live with them...and for me at least, the rattles have gone (!) but the mirror vibrates...overall average of 40-42mpg isn't great, but it's just within what I would tolerate.

It is still wonderful value for money and the dealers are excellent. Lexus's no quibble warranty is 2nd to none...though I wish the paint was better and 6th gear was a little more forgiving...so it could be used comfortably at 70 (should have bought the Sport!!)

It's still the best looking car out there and still a better prospect than everything (though the new A4 looks interesting and the new C Class is a very good car with a fiddly over buttoned dash/console which makes it look cheap (and it ain't))

PS - it's worlds apart from a Mondeo TDCI, which is noisy. You'll find less space in the IS though...that RWD design rob's it of cabin room, and the boot is a tad disappointing for a car which 4.5m long...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phew,

Im sure I'm going to love it, as I tried to explain its all down to expectations, Im coming up the scale from a Mondeo so I should be more than happy with my IS. anyone who is coming down from say a GS, 5 series or E class for example may find certain aspects of the car not as good as other more expensive ones.

Anyway the forum is brilliant, very informative

For what its worth, yes I'm disappointed with the MPG I'm getting at the moment but I live in hope it will get better, and I'm fairly sure it will eventually! I am going to try different driving styles to try to get the best out of it - have seen some improvement last couple of days, up to nearly 38mpg in current tank, mixture motorway / town driving, so that is a bit more acceptable......it does appear to be better when you are pushing it in 6th gear but I daren't do this too much in case I get blue lights in the mirror (thats if I could see them over the shakes......)

MPG appears the only major problem I've got with mine - yes I get the morning creak after a few miles but I can live with that now I know it's not a brick hitting the car - other than this creak, no rattles or anything. The good old rear mirror vibrates but this will get fixed on the first service.

Other than above, I love the car and am 100% sure I made the right choice - even after 2 months / 6500 miles, still get that same buzz each morning going out to it and it looks the biz inside and out.

Therefore, I'm about 95% happy with my 220D, may even go up to 99.99% if/when the MPG improves!!

...give the car a break...calm down...relieve the stress levels...sit back and enjoy.

Its pretty hard to sit back and enjoy when you are kangarooing down the road. Following the various post's on this forum I have altered my driving but the car seems to be continually changing as well. Roll on next September when it's gone!! :tsktsk:

Well, totally fed up this morning, 35mpg coming into work, nice steady drive, 80% motorway, 20% A/B roads, dire

phoned up Lexus Bristol to get it looked at (plus handbrake & rear mirror), they reckon there is an ECU update - was told by the salesman all latest mods had been applied to the vehicle.....hmmm, will not be impressed if update improves things.......

Car in on Thursday of this week, will post a reply after a couple of days with update

have you tried to check things like pressure in the tires; the temperature of rims after calm drive (brake stuck) ?

Do you use cruise controll? Do you use weight of the car? (rolling distance is high)

When you drive, what is your rpm range?

have you tried to check things like pressure in the tires; the temperature of rims after calm drive (brake stuck) ?

Do you use cruise controll? Do you use weight of the car? (rolling distance is high)

When you drive, what is your rpm range?

have tried most things to be honest - tyre pressure is OK, haven't noticed any excess temperature anywhere, use cruise control where possible, not sure about 'weight of car'?

RPM range is 2000-2500

have tried most things to be honest - tyre pressure is OK, haven't noticed any excess temperature anywhere, use cruise control where possible, not sure about 'weight of car'?

RPM range is 2000-2500

I believe Matus meant that the Lex is a heavy car for its size. This is of course bad for the fuel economy, but there are situations where it can be used to save fuel. The car rolls extremely well: when you put it in neutral and just let it go freely, it sometimes feels like it will never come to a halt. With the Lex the driver has to anticipate situations early on to get the most out of this feature. On some situations (especially on empty roads) I put the gear in neutral almost half a mile before taking a turn.

Your RPM range seems OK, but on smaller gears you can use lower RPM. My Sport version is pulling relatively well with third gear from about 1200 RPM and with fourth gear from 1500 RPM. The sixth gear really needs about 2000 rounds for not to make excessive noise.

Yeah, i've definately noticed the roll factor... Just trying to get used to it to use it properly... Will try a bit of coasting as well then!

I'm sure Audi & BMW drivers have to mess about with roll factors!! NOT

I am sure that they keep envy on IS whenever they see it and ask themselves - why the hell I spent 5k more for a car which looks worst than Skoda? :)

RPM range is 2000-2500

in these rpm the car can be very quick, turbo has full boost (more boost, more fuel consumpted) = the potential of quick acceleration is high.

If your driving style or situation needs quick acceleration, than your range is OK and lowering rpms won't save fuel.

But if you think that you don'y use the potential of 2000-2500rpm (I mean that you accelerate lightly), try to switch to 1700-2200 or 1600-2100 (depends of the mileage, I have 21k km and now the car pulls freely from 1600)

What I also use, when I am in slow moving traffic (20-30mph) where is no need of acceleration, I keep revs really low - on third 1200rpm is OK, this really saves fuel. You have to try and listen (turn the radio off) which rpm don't harm the engine. It gets lower and lower with increasing mileage.

However when driving in normal conditions I never go under 1500 as underrevving is not good for the engine and for the interior neither (vibrations...)

Well, just back from Lexus Bristol........

ECU remap OK, got latest on there so that's not the problem. Got the normal about it takes time to 'run in' and get best MPG, also advised to try and not let engine work in lower revs (<2000) which I suppose I have been doing in an effort not to push revs too high!

Will give their suggestions and go and bear with it for the next few 1000, hopefully will see an improvement!

Rear view mirror had fix applied - great, can now see behind me, no vibrations at all

Anyway, still very very happy overall with the car - does give you a feel good factor even if it does burn a hole in the old pocket!

I am sure that they keep envy on IS whenever they see it and ask themselves - why the hell I spent 5k more for a car which looks worst than Skoda? :)

This ivory tower that you live in does it keep you away from other people. The IS diesel is a bit of a joke around the trade, 6th gear not until 80mph, sub 40mpg for a diesel. I don't question it is a nice looking car but don't kid yourself that everyone wants one!!

Tricky post this one...What Car? give the 220d 3 out of 5 stars.

Now before everyone starts going on about how biased what car? are, I can tell you that all of the diesels from the competition are not that bad - that's from my own personal experience of late. None have silly gearing ratio's, and nearly all of them do a 170+bhp diesel now which is at least as or more economical, and other than the Audi A4, quieter and smoother too...they all offer Auto box's too, have bigger boots, don't rattle, bigger rear doors, and most are as quiet as the Lex on the move/inside etc... and the 10's/1000's of buyers of those each year are not stupid!

The 3 series manual does give 10mpg more at the pumps...the C Class is bigger, and the Audi is better made inside (choice of materials (not looks), fit and finish...and that car is now 7 years old!!)

But all of these things are marginal....the IS is not that much worse than the competition, but the others give you so much more choice - just enough to make you question whether a petrol v6 IS Auto would have been a better bet....if you want seriously good VFM, then the Lexus is sound. If you want economy with an engaging drive, great steering etc or an Auto box, a decent family freindly boot, look elsewhere!!

Especially as fuel is now so expensive in the UK. It is no longer economical for me to use the 220d for work. The allowance for fuel no longer covers the average Government figures, let alone what I can actually achieve...

For that reason alone it makes it nigh on impossible to consider another one...and I'm trapped for another 4.5 years! Not good...I'm now thinking of getting a Company Car...and using the Lexus as a shopping trolley. The Comany car would have to be a Focus to make the sums add up... (i.e. not just fuel, but Co car tax, loss of allowance etc)

Because of the gearing and power band of the NEW (totally different) IS the car does not necessarily fit the golden rules like HIGH &LOW rev driving that normally apply to engines that nearly all comply to common enough powerbands, torques revs, gearing, turbos etc.

I found this tip on the Greener Driving site and thought it might be useful as it explains that engine standards and norms are changing due to emission regulations etc...Don't forget Lexus have made the change...see what you think!

For me driving at 2000+ revs doesn't make sense at all...the noise you hear is the engine gulping fuel. By all means if you want to get ahead of the Articulated lorry blasting you with spray etc give it the squirt on the pedal and get by...but back off on the revs when you've done so.

As for BMW, Audi etc they have not yet introduced engines to the same emission standards in this category of vehicle...when they do the powerbands and likely the gearing may well have to change...then we'll be all singing from the same hymn sheet.

All of these cars are excellent, good quality, well engineered but performing to different standards and meeting differing criteria in an engineered way.

TRUE going from A to B as economically as possible is what you and I are talking about in this topic but the engineers in the industry have their hands tied and are seeking to achieve goals and objectives in totally different ways. Seeking the competitive edge through different technology.

So let's give up knocking lumps out of each other over such things in a fashion that resembles the old style of...my dad's bigger than your dad.

I've detected frustration that's leading to many negatives on the BB...we're all on the same side!...niggles develop!...let's get back to sharing and focus what the possible solutions might be and not the ever continuing what the problems are. YES the topic should introduce the identity of the problem and yes you clearly state how you see it.

When the topic is up and running contributors should be all working towards the solution and contibute as positively as possible.

http://www.greener-driving.net/site/tip3.html

THIS IS ONLY ONE LINK...it may help!...it may not!... it is hopefully leading towards a solution by sharing qualitative information.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I can see a graph that showed the powerband, torque, revs etc for the moment I've forgotten where? I have my doubts its in the catalogue...it too may shed some light on the way forward. re: Revs...gear selection.

That site Vrrm Vrrm talks about using 5th at 30mph. Not possible in the Lexus 220d...but all of it is good generic advice and all makes sense!!

I do of course agree with you about sense and sensibility, but there is no solution to this that I can see, at least not in the Mainland UK and the driving conditions/speedlimits we have here. Unless you drive at 50-63mph in 5th, getting good economy is very hard. 6th is useless for economy around the national speed limits, and there is no joy in driving.

One final point. There was lots of yap about this diesel engine being Euro5, but that's all gone cold. I can't find anything anymore on the Lexus site about it. Why has that changed? Anyone know? Anyone know where we originally saw it?

Ad 168g/km Co2 emissions is high on the Lexus - compared to the BMW320d 177bhp which is 144 - so other than local particulates, I can't see the benefit. Am I just being stoopid?

Does anyone know when Eu5 BIK starts here in the UK?

PS -dunno about a diesel, but dawdling along in neutral still feeds fuel to the engine to keep tickover. Engine breaking (i.e. in gear and feet off all pedals) on the other hand does not...at least not on most modern Petrol cars...

That site Vrrm Vrrm talks about using 5th at 30mph. Not possible in the Lexus 220d...

I do of course agree with you about sense and sensibility, but there is no solution to this that I can see, at least not in the Mainland UK and the driving conditions/speedlimits we have here. Unless you drive at 50-63mph in 5th, getting good economy is very hard. 6th is useless for economy around the national speed limits, and there is no joy in driving.

One final point. There was lots of yap about this diesel engine being Euro5, but that's all gone cold. I can't find anything anymore on the Lexus site about it. Why has that changed? Anyone know? Anyone know where we originally saw it?

Ad 168g/km Co2 emissions is high on the Lexus - compared to the BMW320d 177bhp which is 144 - so other than local particulates, I can't see the benefit. Am I just being stoopid?

Does anyone know ehen E5 BIK starts?

The whole thing is a puzzle...this week i.e. first three days I drove 219 klm each day on a specific trip (there and back) a great test for economy.

Each day within speed limits max 100klm per hour ...trunk roads 62 mph. (657 klm)

5.4 litre per 100 klm economy traffic nicely spaced out no weaving in and out constant 95-100 kph ...60 mph etc For 80-90% of the journey. Was able to drive no bother whatever in 6th at 1500 revs constant without vibrations...however if I need to suddenly accelerate I'd have to come straight down to 4th (no cruise on I don't get to use it much here in Ireland). My fifth gear allows me to drive at any speed once the engine is warm...pick up is fine (more often though I use the rule change down when slowed down blah blah).

I don't use AC often ...when I do... the dash will let out a few 'cracks'...has to be expansion and contraction of the plastic materials.

I get my economy by driving this conservative style. I'm not a techie...even the jargon confounds me at times but I am a stickler for detail keeping spreadsheets on economy since the start of ownership. I'm focusing continually on how best to get the best from the car. If I drove it like I drove the E200's I've owned, especially around town type journeys, my average would be at least be down to high 30's mpg (if not worse) instead of the high 40's mpg I achieve by changing the habits of a lifetime (I'm mid 50's). The boot is the big enemy with the 220D engine ...I would agree with anyone saying its over refined but not that it's uneconomical. What a challenge!...lovely jubbly!!

Does anyone know when Eu5 BIK starts here in the UK?

PS -dunno about a diesel, but dawdling along in neutral still feeds fuel to the engine to keep tickover. Engine breaking (i.e. in gear and feet off all pedals) on the other hand does not...at least not on most modern Petrol cars...

The Euro 5 standard has been a moving target, not sure if the 220d meets the final draft. Be that as it may, it has been the cleanest diesel on the market for the last two years. The engines that have just been introduced (such as the BMW 177bhp) are of course manufactured using the most modern technology, which gives them some advantage over the 220d. I wouldn't count on the competitors' Euro 5 diesels being similar with 220d in terms of performance/fuel economy: they will be better, and with two more years of developing, they should!

On the matter of engine braking, you are correct. When you have at least ~1500 RPM in gear and your foot is off the gas, the fuel consumption is zero. Somewhere below that RPM the engine will start injecting fuel again to prevent the engine from stalling. Still, engine braking is indeed braking. Rolling on in neutral is better for the MPG. If you need to slow down faster, engine braking is the most economical way. I use the actual brakes only to bring the car to a complete stop and in sudden situations.

competition are not that bad - that's from my own personal experience of late. None have silly gearing ratio's, and nearly all of them do a 170+bhp diesel now which is at least as or more economical, and other than the Audi A4, quieter and smoother too...they all offer Auto box's too, have bigger boots, don't rattle, bigger rear doors, and most are as quiet as the Lex on the

I don't think that IS220d has silly gearing rations. There are just different and thanks _god! I don't know if you like to play with the stick, but I don't....this gearing saves my hands and left foot. I have already written about this.

I really don't understand people, who own IS220d with long gearing and complain all the time...Have they tried the car before? yes. So don't cry.

And what is the problem to cruise on 5th? 6th won't dissapear or damage something or whatever...

Consumption - yes, if I had bmw 320d I am sure I will have the consumption 0,5-1 liter per 100km less than I have now.

I don't know the pricing in the UK but here the same equipped bmw320d would cost 5.000 pounds more, which also means higher interest ( I lease the car) and higher insurance.

But let's take only 5.000 pounds difference. 1 liter per 100km means less than 1 pound per 100kms. So the difference 5000 pounds will be equalled in more than 500.000kms which means 25 years of driving for me. Thankyou! :)

Then here is the reliability problem, the chance that bmw breaksdown is higher than Lexus and with thieving it's the same. (at least here)

Rattling - many of you complain, but many don't complain. I know 2 people (220d and 250) and both don't rattle, one of them has more than 60k kms)

Many many bmw rattle and the interior looks **** until you pay 40k for the car.

I don't know about audi, but for me audi is not premium class, because - FWD, cheap VW parts in interior, tractor-like TDI PD engine, service chain with skoda/vw here. And if IS is cramped in backseats, A4 has no place there at all. Not to mention, that A4 is almost 10 years old model.

CO2 is not the measure of emisions, because it is directly dependable on the consumption. Also it doesn't harm peoples health. This gas MAY BE responsible for increasing "greenhouse" effect but this is still not confirmed by scientists if mankind is responsible for this, as the earth itself emites the CO2 (eg volcano) and the rising temperature of earth may be natural.

NOx and particles harm people and these has the IS220d lower than for example 2.0TDI PD with the particles filter (standard is without it) or BMW320d.

Got mine up to 44mpg on way home on Friday evening (before was 35 - 37mpg if I was lucky)

Yes, I did drive a bit like a Sunday driver but not too much - main difference I found was NOT using cruise on the motorway and easing off down hills (as pointed out, cars weight does keep the speed up fine)

So a bit happier than I was although now blinded by all the flashing lights behind and deaf from the peeping horns..........

Still, we shouldn't really have to do all this should we?!

Still loving the car though!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links