Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice Please On Painting Callipers

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you have to prepare your calipers! go over then with a fine wire brush.. then give them a good wipe over then appl first coat... then second.. leave to dry for a day or two...

then heat caliper wih hairdryer and apply stickers. gently heating them on.

Those who are confused why they receive 3 stickers sets is in case you mess up the first set... saves embaressment having to reorder because you rushed the first set.

We also have a limited amount of Chrome caliper stickers... these are metal based foil stickers and i have prolly enough to do 10 cars. These will not be available again as it is £100's for a new roll of silver foil. I was lucky to get these on an end of a roll.

Thanks for the nice comments guys .... you can see them for real at Gaydon :)

The only preparation needed for mine was a wipe over as the car was only 4 days old. OBviously on a slightly older motor you will need to degrease, wire brush etc. before you start painting, but no primer required with Hammerite.

As Steve ( Administrator ) says let each coat dry before you apply the next, half an hour should be OK, thenleave overnight before you apply the stickers. Then a clear cote / lacquer over the top. Don't rush any of it as you can't undo it !!

click on the IMG button above the window you type your reply in and put in the address ( http://www. etc of where the phot is on the world wide web ..... if the photo is not there then upload it to the LOC galleries .... there is an add button there .... if you got to the gallery ...

i have been asked about background on this caliper stickers.

These sticker do not have background as they are purely text of the lexus logo... chrome will go on any colour.. the darker the better

:question::question: Having seen steve's calipers on his new.brand new is200(*****) sorry couldnt resist it,they look great i am now convinced to paint mine ,however i cannot think which colour will match kensington green any ideas??? ,when i paint them i post a piccy

Kensington green...

I would go with dark green calipers with gold stickers

or gold calipers with black stickers

hmm.. then maybe red with black stickers.. althouth white on red is different

lol Huggy :D

That is my dog yes she is called meg and is 4 years old and a real sweetie she loves riding in my cars. But I just havent found a decent solution to stop her hair getting all over my seats so she is banned from my IS and also banned from the wifes brand new C3 thingy. She has to use her paws to get around now :(

Bought some paint today (dark green) and took one of my wheels off to see what is involved. I noticed the hub that the wheel bolts too is also looking quite corroded.

Is there likely to be any problem if I paint this as well :question:

Hi,

I painted my front calipers silver on Saturday (Hammerite Smooth).

First I wire brushed them down and then applied a coat of Hammerite metal primer (seemed appropriate from the tin description). Anyway, unfortunately, the primer started flaking as it dried in some areas, mostly in the area *around* the brake pad clips :(

Mostly the primer went on very well, and looked terrific ;-) so I decided there must be 'greasy' areas as I hadn't degreased with thinners prior to painting...

So, I gave the flakey areas a rub down with some ordinary thinners (non-hammerite) and reappiled primer in those areas. It improved a little, but I still had some flaking :(

Nevertheless, I decided to press on with the Hammerite, and that seemed to go on just fine.

The reddish primer looked so good, that I began to regret not going with red for top coat, but I actually want something more subtle. However, I'm sure red calipers would look really great.

Also, at an interim stage I had a combo of both the red primer and silver top coat, this looked really great - those of you with a delicate touch with a paint brush might want to consider such a combination, say red calipers with silver in a band behind the stickers?

It the end, the silver looks good. I have the club's black lettered stickers to go on when I get chance which will really improve the look. Then I'll post photos.

I couldn't find any 'high temperature' clear enamel in the stores I looked in - what temperature does it need to be resistent to? Is 120 degrees C enough?

Thanks,

Nige

Hi,

After painting the front calipers silver last weekend, I applied the stickers to the front calipers today. I also painted rear calipers and will apply those stickers tomorrow.

I'm very pleased with the look of silver calipers with black lettering. Subtle, but smart when spotted...

SilverCalipers.sized.jpg

Cheers,

Nige

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links