Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help Needed Please From Some Lexus Experts

nitro

I recently aquired a fantastic is200 sport back in september, purchased from this very website (i love you lexusownersclub)-

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=42114

- The car was fitted with some twin airhorns which sound bloody terrible!! Does anyone know how i can reconnect the original horn and what to look for or is this something which a dealership will need to do?

- Fuel economy is bad! i know the is200 is known for this but im only getting 280 miles to a £60 tank of petrol from shell. is this normal? my car has recently been serviced and i have reset the ecu. car comes with a KN filter as well. any tips on sorting this problem out apart from driving like a granddad?

- im running on 225/35/19 kumho tyres. any recommendation on psi? should the rear tyres have more air than the front as the car is RWD?

- cambelt. my car is a Y reg and has done 28k on the clock. does it need changing and roughly how much am i looking at?

Much appreciated.

Cambelt wont need doing till 100K .......... although some now suggest changing at 60K.

The airhorns can be changed, if they have just been replaced ... you will find them behind the grill, and in front of the radiator. The oriinal ones are two smal circles.

Fuel economy, again depends on how you drive the car .......... when was it last servided ?

Cheers.

Cam-belt should be done soon as the cars age is also a factor... think for the IS200 it's 60K or 6 years whichever is first as rubber perishes ;)

changing out the horns can be done by anyone with basic electrical knowledge...

goodluck :)

cambelt should be done at 60K or 6 years, fuel economy - yours is very very bad i get about 420 miles and that is with a supercharger ( but the SC doesnt make much difference) i found when i did a reset the first tank or 2 i had bad economy then it returned to normal.

for the horns - are the original ones there? it also depends on how the previous owner has wired the horns up - anyone with a basic electrical knowledge can re-connect them - hopefully the previous owner/installer didnt just cut the original connectors off and wire the air compressor in.

ok ive sorted out the horn issue. was very simple actually! one black little connector which i just had to plug into the round shaped horn. job done!

ok, the other issues:

1: should my rear tyres be inflated more than the front ones? im thinking of putting in 30psi into my 19s on the front and 34 into the rear. any suggestions?

2: fuel fuel fuel!! i might have to start doing fill and runs with the amount of petrol im burning!! 280 miles to a full tank, maybe 300 if im lucky. does anyone else get this on their lexus'? does having a sport model use up more petrol or something? tomorrow im gonna buy some reddox fuel cleaner and see if that helps but i cant think of anything else that the problem could be. PLEASE HELP

there should be 2 round horns

Yeah. There was only one connecter hanging out though so i plugged that into the round horn on the right. tested it and it gave me a beep!

any suggestions on rear tyre / front tyre pressures and mpg on my previous post :question:

Tyre psi really depends on load and driving conditions... since yours are 19" probably need 35 all round just to keep the rim off the ground, will make for a hard ride... keep an eye on how the tyre wears will tell you if you've got it right...

i think your big wheels could be throwing the speedo off abit as well... 2-4% at a guess, when you odometer says 200 you've probably done a 4-8 more.... really not a lot in it though... that been said it could be enough to get you a ticket ;)

Tyre psi really depends on load and driving conditions... since yours are 19" probably need 35 all round just to keep the rim off the ground, will make for a hard ride... keep an eye on how the tyre wears will tell you if you've got it right...

i think your big wheels could be throwing the speedo off abit as well... 2-4% at a guess, when you odometer says 200 you've probably done a 4-8 more.... really not a lot in it though... that been said it could be enough to get you a ticket ;)

Ive noticed the car handles better with higher psi in the tyres. I originally had them at 35/36 and then dropped them to 30/31 and noticed the steering wheel just turns itself while driving. I think having higher psi might also give me some more miles for my money. <300 miles is not good enough!

Rob, you mentioned to check the air filter. Im using a K&N filter and im pretty sure it doesnt need to be cleaned until 50k miles. My car has done less than 30k. I also got this damn TRD strut brace covering it which prevent me from opening the filter. until i figure out how to open the strut brace, i cant even look at the filter.

There was a post on here recently that discussed poor fuel economy and as well as a bottle of injector cleaner in a full tank of fuel, Lexus recommended that the guy used carb cleaner in the intake manifold ie clean up the butterfly? valve etc. Evidently it worked.

Worth a try - aerosol can from Halfords.

Good luck

jack

fuel fuel fuel!! i might have to start doing fill and runs with the amount of petrol im burning!! 280 miles to a full tank, maybe 300 if im lucky. does anyone else get this on their lexus'? does having a sport model use up more petrol or something? tomorrow im gonna buy some reddox fuel cleaner and see if that helps but i cant think of anything else that the problem could be. PLEASE HELP

I get exactly the same mpg as you do, i've tried spark plug change, made no difference. after i did a ecu reset i ran with vpower for about 6 weeks and it made no difference at all. thinking about trying a K&N filter as a few members have said it might imrove the mpg...

i use 33psi. however went to see the Dr @ WIM today (tony did an exceptional job, will do a write up tomorrow) and he recommends 35psi so thats what im on now. re the k&n ive only ever heard of them reducing mpg, however with the elec throttle it may be different.

Ive noticed the car handles better with higher psi in the tyres. I originally had them at 35/36 and then dropped them to 30/31 and noticed the steering wheel just turns itself while driving. I think having higher psi might also give me some more miles for my money. <300 miles is not good enough!

Rob, you mentioned to check the air filter. Im using a K&N filter and im pretty sure it doesnt need to be cleaned until 50k miles. My car has done less than 30k. I also got this damn TRD strut brace covering it which prevent me from opening the filter. until i figure out how to open the strut brace, i cant even look at the filter.

u will need to unbolt it to access the filter im afraid.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links