Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bmw Owner Thinking Of Converting

mgarvey

Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself

I am a thirty-something family man with a passion for cars. Right now I'm in a current model (E91) BMW 320d Touring (ducks to avoid the thrown eggs), which is an amazing drivers car but somewhat common these days.

With a second baby on the way and the wife now having swapped her supermini for a Renault Scenic, I am now free to buy whatever I want so long as it has 4 seats and a reasonable boot - however with a somewhat lower budget (~£18k as opposed to ~£23k). I won't be changing for a while yet as I'd lose a fortune on the Beemer, but the cars I am looking at are:

Alfa 159 - utterly gorgeous, great value and goes back to my roots in terms of owning Italian cars. My main worries are the dealers, which are what turned me away from Italian cars in the first place, and reliability.

Lexus IS250 (why else would I be here!) - A little off the beaten track, reliable, well specced, wonderful interior (not withstanding rear legroom) and a nice V6 engine. However, it is a little pricey. If I can get one for the money with a reasonable amount of warranty left, it is going to be tough to beat.

BMW 3-series - Great car, but I wouldn't buy the same car twice as I just get bored too quickly

Audi A4 - New one out of my budget range, old one obsolete and showing its age

Merc C-Class - Ditto the Audi A4 really. I like the new W204 C-Class, but am unlikely to get a decent one for the money.

So there you have it, I've got the feelers out for my next car, and some time in 2008 will buy one. The Alfa 159 2.2JTS looks nice, as I'm a bit of a petrolhead really, but it faces fairly strong competition from the Lexus IS - a very different car.

Welcome.

I've an IS300 Sport, soon to be 5 years old, and I'm a Newbie, so I'll let others talk about the IS250.

My point is "why buy new?".

Apart from the times when I was buying tax-free and reselling tax-exempt for a profit, I've always bought second-hand even though I could easily afford a new car. Apart from 2 cars out of some 40-odd, both Renaults, I've never regretted buying second-hand for even one second.

Oops, I see you've bought a Scenic. Mine, an earlier version. was fine until it was a few days outside our 3-year warranty. Then in the space of 4 months it broke down 4 times (new gearbox, new water pump, new catalytic converter, new ignition coils) and had numerous irritating faults (driver's window fell into door when motor self-destructed, sunroof wouldn't close, interior fell apart). Then I got a Japanese car which was 100% reliable. Come to think of it, of my Japanese cars and bikes, well into double figures, the only work that's ever been required has been servicing and consumable replacement (filters, tyres etc;). With German quality having gone down over the past few years, you have another reason for buying a Lexus.

You don't need so much cash upfront, useful to avoid interest payments, and running costs and depreciation are much lower - meaning you can spend the money on the kids, get a motorbike, go to track days and fast-driving school and 'personalize' your car for just a few (all of which I'm doing having spent well under £10,000 on my wonderful car).

Maybe I emphasise value-for-money because I'm a tight git (as my soon-to-be ex-wife says), but I also like being able to park in Sainsbury's without worrying about little scratches or leaving one of the kids to act as a security guard.

Anyway, it's your money and it's your choice. Good luck.

Ian

Have you Cosidered the RX300/400H

Very spacious Very quick by 4x4 standards and as its a lexus there always well spec'd

Although I think only a "nearly new" would fall into your budget range.

Thats my 2ps worth anyway happy hunting

Welcome to the LOC

Go bigger? Get an LS Ser 4. Will be reliable and leave you with several thou for good holiday!! Why waste the money?My 98 car is as good as anything else. I'd never spend the money on anything THAT expensive, just to watch the % depreciation! Hard to earn, easy to lose?

Thanks for the responses and advice.

Ian D - totally agree on the used car front. After two new purchases in '99 and '02 my last two cars have been nearly new, and my next car will be the same - my budget wouldn't stretch to a new IS anyway.

I also agree on Renaults. For the record, I'm not a fan of them as they are soft, wallowy and unreliable. When the wife proposed to buy one, I went to Renault owner forums and in 10 minutes found a whole A4 page of common faults with the Scenic, with the ignition coils you mention being the most common. She loves our local dealer though, and with good reason. They do a great deal and their idea of a test drive is to hand over the keys and say 'bring it back tomorrow'. Her family are now on about their 30th Renault from them, and wouldn't have anything else if you paid them. For example, last time I offered her a new Audi A4 Cabrio (I would've just taken a Skoda Octavia as a company motor). She drove it, liked it, but ultimately decided she'd rather have a Renault Modus 'because it is cute and has a built-in bike rack' (which we've used exactly three times). So basically I'm flogging a dead horse on that one.

We're getting an October 07, 57-reg 1.6 Dynamique for £10,750 - £6k off of list. The wife does about 4k miles per year so by the time we come to sell it the car will only have done 12k miles or so.

GWilso - I'll have a look at the RX series, but I do a lot of miles and don't really like the 'Chelsea tractor' image of 4x4's. The GS is a possible option too.

As I say, I'm in no real hurry. If an IS250 or similar comes up at the right price, the BMW isn't in negative equity, and the Alfa 159 doesn't bowl me over on a test drive I'll hopefully make the leap soon enough.

hi,wecome to loc :) drive any age lexus and its sure to put a smile on your face :) and all very reliable,if you do buy second hand make sure it has all the service history.

if you are not changing just yet you have time to search and try out any s/h options as well as new,good luck. :)

Hi & welcome - a nice nearly new Lexus is the best car purchase I've made in the last 6 years (well, actually, it's the only car purchase I have made in the last 6 years, but that's not the point!). Happy hunting for that 250.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links