Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Series Iv - A Boot Full Of Water

Check the Post archives?

But; possible causes.

Seal around the boot (obviously. Clean it up, check for breaks...use talc to see ingress when using hosepipe...)

Also, my leak was (mainly) through the Taillight not fitting properly.

BUT, if like me, you park nose down a sloping parking place, the side channels towards the window channel water downwards, rather than back and out/off, and, once 'full' leak into boot. So always park (in rain, so....in England??!!) nose UP on a slope.

Don't change your boot surround until you're sure!

NIce car though otherwise!!??

The only other fault I can find is the passenger temperature display. The LCD works perfectly but the green backlight is out. As a thump on the dash hasn't sorted it out (joke) I'm not sure whether to bother with it or not. It would be nice to have done but depends how much work it's likely to be! Any views gratefully received!

Not sure if the backlighting is the same/similar to the GS300 but maybe this post I did could help Clicky

My 1998 LS400 has a similar issue. When I got the car the boot was full of water with fungus. After drying the inside and cleaning out the carpetting and everything there is still a remote fungus smell. And after trying all kinds of stuff (silica gel / insence et cetera) I just do not seem to be able to get the last of the smell to go. Some fungus must still be present somehow.

This is always caused by the boot seals below the rear window, rather than going to the expense of replacing them, the best thing to do is remove the seal, coat the gulley with clear silicon and replace the old seal. This guarentees the water tightness and can easily be removed in the future if necessay.

The seals just pop out with a little force.

This is always caused by the boot seals below the rear window, rather than going to the expense of replacing them, the best thing to do is remove the seal, coat the gulley with clear silicon and replace the old seal. This guarentees the water tightness and can easily be removed in the future if necessay.

The seals just pop out with a little force.

Does your reply relate to the fungus smell issue or the leakage issue? :winky:

Okay, I don't want t sound like a mad man, but I had the very same problem in my 1998 LS400, it drove me insane.

My father had the bright idea to take out the spare wheel and get down to the metal. With a careful look underneath the car to ensure no risk of further damage... He drilled a few well placed holes into the spare wheel well. The idea was to let any water easily drain out and some fresh air in to the boot to clear out the stink.

I was so bleedin :tsktsk: annoyed at him when I found out what he did, but it did in-fact work. :blush: It took about two weeks for the smell to go, but the damp was solved in a matter of days.

Now I know this sounds nuts, it did to me. But the old man had some logic... It worked and stayed dry and smell free for the next 10 months of driving.

Don't forget I live in Ireland where there is rain EVERY day and is so damp moss grows on everything, the roads are crap and there are splashing puddles everywhere...

Try it if you can make the leap of faith, but I am not responsible... :offtopic: By the way, I don't have this problem with the LS430 and there is NO way I'd let my old man near it with a drill... :)

i had the same problem and the culprit was another loose aerial as passman53 said, tightend and sealed with a small dob of silicone sealant and has been fine since. i also park nose upwards if anything but blue skies !!!

cheers steve.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links