Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Serious Vibration On Rx300se-l

I am an owner of a 2004 rx se-l and recently have had a problem where the car shakes violently at about 60-70mph.The problem is it does not do it all of the time,there are no warning lights and I have checked the tyres and believe this is not a wheel balancing problem.Has anyone else had the same problems?

Do any of the wheels feel hotter when this has happened and does the vibration go away after a while? If it does, I would suspect a sticking brake calliper.

I have not stopped to check the tyres straight away ,will take a look at this .thanks for the advice

I have not stopped to check the tyres straight away ,will take a look at this .thanks for the advice

Make sure you check the center of the wheel (near the centre caps) not the tyres themselves. Basically just trying to guage if a brake is getting very hot which it would if it was binding/sticking. This heat will transfer out to the wheel via the hub.

It could also be any one of the numerous intermediate bearings on the propshaft getting into a resonate period due to wear, this will obviously get gradually worse over time until such point that the vibration is present continously.

Might be worth checking your tyres for bulges too.....these might not show any symptoms until a particular speed/load is present.

Best regards David

My 54 plate RX300 SE-L had a nasty tremor when I test drove it (it was about 25,000 miles then), which was sorted before I collected it. I suspect this was achieved by swapping one front wheel with the spare.

All was fine until after its full service 10,000 miles (and about 6 months) later when it was returned with a tremor at about 70mph! Most odd, and I couldn't return it to the main dealer as I was away on business. So I had it checked at a local tyre centre who declared the balance miles out! For £10 it was corrected (both front wheels re-done) and has been fine since.

I've not had wheel balance problems in other cars for about 20 years, and my experience in that time includes:- Audis A3, A6, TT; Honda HR-V; BMWs 530i and Z3; Skoda Fabia; FIAT Panda. Has anyone else got a hunch that RXs are unusually sensitive to balance?

Nick

• 1 month later...
Mine did vibrate and had uneven tyre wear on teh front until I had all 4 tyres changed. Cured now.

Mine was fine until I got 4 new tyres at Lexus Glasgow. It now shudders at 70mph. I reported this and they took it to Toyota Ayr to rebalance. Made no difference. I might go to independent

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links