Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squeak Diagnosis Help

edeath

I have a problem with the my IS200 sport in that when i am driving along it is squeaking. Now it is only loud enough normally to be heard as a reflection off park or passing cars. It seems to be worse on bumpy roads (visibly bumpy) but i have problems diagnosing as it only seems to happen when the car has hit about 20. The sound is almost rotational, but definitely happens on speed bumps. I also noticed it alot when driving on the A40 next to the barriers where it was contsant and loud (either due to the 50mph rotation or going over little bumps so quick. I'm having a problem working it out. I went in to get my geo done by the dr and had a look while it was up on the lift but neither Tony nor myself saw anything. I have a couple of theories:

1. It is the brake disc and the cover rubbing which i have seen on the forum. Though i think not likely. However if anybody could tell me the best way to sort this that would be great. Rear brakes only?

2. One of my calipers is sticking - I'm going to see if any of my wheels get hotter than others after my next drive.

3. My suspension needs lubricating. (Again will try sorting this)

4. Suspension damage.

I'm having real problems working it out so any advice would be much appreciated as its meaning i hate having my windows open, which i normally love.

cheers,

Ed

If you think one caliper is sticking you can jack up the car one side at a time and rotate the wheel, if its nice and free its ok, listen out for any rubbing/friction noises? Im sure I heard that the wheel bearings are a bit weak on these cars, they can be checked at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate.

I am having what sounds like a very similar problem.

However, mine has only started after changing my front brake pads.

It sounds like metal rubbing but i cant figure where.

I have re-used the old anti-squel shims, and doused them in copper slip. The springs are missing though. Not too sure of there importance, but if they are where do you get new ones ( anyone know? searched eBay and the likes )

Mine also starts at about 20 mph and is starting to really p@#s me off.

I have no mechanical knowledge but am bit dubious what garages say after a few recent dealings which left me £500 down. Would like to have a bit of an idea just in case i have to go to a garage

Let us know if anyone finds the cause

cheers

kev

Hi all.

Been lookinng through loads of posts to find the problem, and without taking it to a garage yet, am starting to assume the caliper is sticking.

Lifted the wheel off ground this am, very difficult to turn freely.

Have tried pushing the pistons back in with a g-clamp and copper greased everywhere but the disc itself! still getting the squeal noise.

How do i go about trying to clean/lube the caliper as a diy project, and which parts need it???? Obviously will take to garage if thats only solution.

Well i have spun the front wheel and it spins freely. but the back one stops turning very quickly. are the backs harder to turn than the fronts, due to the diff and shaft? I've sprayed silicone on the relevant bits. I am also erring towards stuck caliper as this hasnt helped. However the fact it sounds worse of bumps keeps making me think its something else. Hmmm......

I also changed all my pads recently and am also dubios of garages on these things as im not sure they even try to diagnose these as they are so hard to work out due to the infinite number of things that can squeak. I suppose however if you complain of a stuck caliper they will specifically look at it.

i had the same problem on a honda i had after month's of trying everything i could think off and the other mechs at the garage we found nothing

i was talking to a m8 in the trade who worked for honda and he said the bottom ball joint on the prelude were known for this so changed them both and noise gone

dont know if this could be the same for the 200's

i had the same problem on a honda i had after month's of trying everything i could think off and the other mechs at the garage we found nothing

i was talking to a m8 in the trade who worked for honda and he said the bottom ball joint on the prelude were known for this so changed them both and noise gone

dont know if this could be the same for the 200's

Would i not notice a difference in the way it drives if the ball joint was going? My problem is there seems to be no feedback of where the problem is where driving. The car doesnt pull, the brakes dont shudder, in fact nothing shudders (well except something when i pull away when cold badly.)

• 2 months later...

My front right brake squeeks - i replaced the stock pads with mintex extreme around 2 months (600 miles) ago, but the squeek has returned. I thought i may have got through the pad but I do very few miles and don't really race about/brake hard when i do drive!

Anyone got any ideas as to what i could be? The squeek happens from 5mph-30mph regardless of cold/warm brakes?

I know what has been said but this worked for me...

Take the pads off and put some silicon brake grease in between the pads and the pistons so when the very slight judder happens the pads will not squeak against the pistons. I always smear a very slight amount of copper grease on.

Nice thread resurrection guys. Well my sqeaking has stopped. However i now have alot of feedback through the brake pedal on light high speed braking. I think i've got a stuck caliper and my brake pads are now worn. But im not 100%.

Baller it may be a stuck caliper for you too. Try jacking up the car and spinning all 4 wheels. They should all free spin. The fronts more than the backs. The the back 2 should spin the same. If one sticks there's ur problem.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links