Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice Needed On Grill Please

Hey guys, can I have your advice please?

We have a GS and have just bought the sports grill for it. The problem is that the paint Lexus supply to spray it isn't as glossy as the car itself. Ours is Astral black. Also the sport grill has a wire mesh kind of effect and the paint has all chipped off already!

We need to re-do it, but not sure what will work best.

Any ideas?

thanks x

Did you apply a coat of lacquer to the paint that you sprayed onto the grille?

This will bring out the 'shine' in the paint and go some way to protecting the grille from stone chips.

Unfortunately for a GS300 there is no real cure for paint chips in the front bonnet grille/headlight area.

Did you apply a coat of lacquer to the paint that you sprayed onto the grille?

This will bring out the 'shine' in the paint and go some way to protecting the grille from stone chips.

Unfortunately for a GS300 there is no real cure for paint chips in the front bonnet grille/headlight area.

Hiya, no we didn;t put an extra lacquer on cause the paint was supposed to include the lacquer already so was unsure about adding extra. The bad thing with this is not just stone chips, the paint seems to just be coming off all over the crisscross grille part. The surround is fine. Also thnks for pointing out theat grille is spelled with an 'e'. I knew it didn;t look right! haha :lol:

I have the same grille. Not sure about the paint on the surround, but in terms of the mesh part, I can suggest something.

I basically take the mesh out if chips are bad, spray a few coats of Matt Black paint (from Halfrauds), and then a couple of light coats of laquer. Looks nice again.

Ooh, plus I debadged it too the first time I did it. Bloke came up to me in the car wash and told me I had a nice Merc! lol

I have the same grille. Not sure about the paint on the surround, but in terms of the mesh part, I can suggest something.

I basically take the mesh out if chips are bad, spray a few coats of Matt Black paint (from Halfrauds), and then a couple of light coats of laquer. Looks nice again.

Ooh, plus I debadged it too the first time I did it. Bloke came up to me in the car wash and told me I had a nice Merc! lol

Thanks for the tip. I will get hubby onto it straight away! hehehe. Oh, wait, he's got to finish decorating the living room first! Lol.

Ours is currently awaiting a badge... hope nobody thinks it's a merc! Eeek!

the cheap ones are usually plastic, rather than metal..

but they are chrome plated and should look just as good... the "gold plated" ones, are not proper gold plated.. just gold coloured, but again, look pretty good..

Obviously reflected in the price...

John

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you gents.

I still have the badge from the original grille, I'm just loathed to rip it off incase we ever want to swap back again. Maybe I should try one of the cheepies. The snob in me doesn't want a plastic badge tho :blush:

I know. If that's the case I've gotta get the real deal, just would be good if there was a middle option. Hehe, I don't want much... anyone got me the moon on a stick yet?? :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links