Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello all!

New here, proud new owner of an is250 se-l auto. Just wondering though, I have 17inch wheels on mine, but prefer the look of 18 inch Baransu wheels. Is it worth changing the wheels and if I did would they be more skittish and make the handling worse?

Also would they make more road noise (even with toyos') than 17inchers, and if so is it considerably more or not really noticeable?

Any advise from you guys, most appreciated!

:winky:

New here, proud new owner of an is250 se-l auto. Just wondering though, I have 17inch wheels on mine, but prefer the look of 18 inch Baransu wheels. Is it worth changing the wheels and if I did would they be more skittish and make the handling worse?

Also would they make more road noise (even with toyos') than 17inchers, and if so is it considerably more or not really noticeable?

Quite a few peeps have changed wheel sizes, I switched from 17" with Bridgestone Potenzas to 19" with Toyo T1-R's, 'Tel' switched from 17" to 18"...others with extreme winters go the other way...'BosniaLexus' 18" (summer) to 17" (Winter) and Matus 17" (Summer) to 16" (Winter).

From my experience the tyres make the difference in road noise, not the rims although the ride may feel a little harder due to the slight loss in the depth of rubber sidewall. Handling shouldn't be effected, if your car feels skittish now take it to WIM at the earliest opportunity.

Here's an earlier post on the subject..

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=43914

..and here's my 19" (sorry about dodgy geezers lurking in the background)

cimg0018sd2.jpg

Thanks for the info guys, NICE cars btw!!! B)

Tango when you say the ride is harder is it bad? I mean one of the main reasons I went for the lexus over the new c-class sport was the fact that the ride wasn't too hard and rode the odd bump with out juddering your spine!

I do however love the look of the bigger rims, the 19inchers you've got there are excellent!

Hmmmn......decisions.........decisions........ :unsure:

(still suppose it's all good!) :D

I have a set of Lexus 18" Sport rims fitted to my IS200

I am not sure if they are the Baransu Wheels you mention.

New18sWIM009.jpg

225/40x18 Front 255/40x18 Rear with Dunlop Sports Maxx tyres.

I can only tell you how these wheels are on my IS200....

Bloomin' loverly :yahoo:

nah the ones u got are the 18" sport ones. i'm also lookin at the hoshis..not sure yet tho. :)

Tango when you say the ride is harder is it bad? I mean one of the main reasons I went for the lexus over the new c-class sport was the fact that the ride wasn't too hard and rode the odd bump with out juddering your spine!

I've changed to American spec Eibach springs that are quite a lot stiffer than the OEM's, so my suspension is harder than standard albeit still comfortable. I still notice the slightly softer ride when I put my 17" back on (and the increased noise of the Bridgestones), but you'd expect that with the extra 1" of rubber sidewall.

Better to pm 'Tel' as he's done exactly what you propose, and I know he's more than happy with the change.

Thanks again for the info Tango, I've Pm'ed Tel and await his experience with interest, I've also asked my local dealership to let me drive one they've got with 18inchers on a test drive to see how they feel.

Going slightly off topic here:

Have to say can't get enough of looking at your car though! WOW! Unfortunatly I can't justify the costs to her indoors! Must of cost a whack for all that work but it sure looks good. I'm off to the U.S in the summer, how much did you get those springs for? And how much was fitting in the Uk? Also are the tints the stock tints on your front windows or have they been subtlely altered? lastly for your GFX bodykit is that US also and can you get it already sprayed in UK colours or did you do all that here???

Have to say can't get enough of looking at your car though! WOW! Unfortunatly I can't justify the costs to her indoors! Must of cost a whack for all that work but it sure looks good. I'm off to the U.S in the summer, how much did you get those springs for? And how much was fitting in the Uk? Also are the tints the stock tints on your front windows or have they been subtlely altered? lastly for your GFX bodykit is that US also and can you get it already sprayed in UK colours or did you do all that here???

Just answered someone else on the front spoiler, I think the UK dealerships now have the full OEM 'GFX' (Ground Effects..silly name :huh: ) kit available, but only in primer, so will have to add the cost of spraying each piece to your colour.

I brought my boot lip, sides, and the front lip from the USA where they're available already pre-painted (and half the cost). Carried them back in the baggage hold on frequent biz trips and fitted myself. Same with the US spec Eibach springs...again much cheaper in the States but they are available here albeit a different spec...slightly smaller gauge so not quite as stiff and a 30mm drop all round (whereas mine have 1.4" drop at the front and 1" at the rear......35.5 mm & 25.4 mm to save the calculation).

Imported the Tanabe Exhaust system also from Japan, both the springs and exhaust fitted by Tony Bones of WIM (pics in the gallery).

Rims were imported from Rays Wheels in Japan, they're being refurbed at the moment with the centres colour coded to the car (1GO).

Tints were done by Richard at 'TintR' in Nottingham...limo/dark smoke on the rear and light smoke on the front doors.

Just answered someone else on the front spoiler, I think the UK dealerships now have the full OEM 'GFX' (Ground Effects..silly name :huh: ) kit available, but only in primer, so will have to add the cost of spraying each piece to your colour.

I brought my boot lip, sides, and the front lip from the USA where they're available already pre-painted (and half the cost). Carried them back in the baggage hold on frequent biz trips and fitted myself. Same with the US spec Eibach springs...again much cheaper in the States but they are available here albeit a different spec...slightly smaller gauge so not quite as stiff and a 25mm drop all round.

Imported the Tanabe Exhaust system also from Japan, both the springs and exhaust fitted by Tony Bones of WIM (pics in the gallery).

Rims were imported from Rays Wheels in Japan, they're being refurbed at the moment with the centres colour coded to the car (1GO).

Tints were done by Richard at 'TintR' in Nottingham...limo/dark smoke on the rear and light smoke on the front doors.

Not sure if I'm allowed to ask this? :unsure:

But would I get a discount from WIM if were a gold member or would it be the same price and also what sort of figures are we talking here to fit the springs for example (just ball park figures would do)......

To be honest, I can't remember..Tony does discount for WIM subscribed members, best drop him a PM 'cos his price now will be for his own facility, not Kiplings or STS.

Well Just to let you all know, I have decided to go for the lexus 18inch Baransu wheels having test driven them and not noticing much difference in ride or handling. Got a great deal on a set too!

Next step after fitting the wheels will be to get the eibach spring set fitted (which I'm going to get from the US) and get the geometry sorted out.

Will probably do this at WIM....

just a quick ?. increasing ur wheels from 16" to 17" or 17" to 18" etc...do u have to have the speedometer/odometer re-calibrated due to increase in alloy/tyre size? would it not report in-correct mph and distance travelled?

just a quick ?. increasing ur wheels from 16" to 17" or 17" to 18" etc...do u have to have the speedometer/odometer re-calibrated due to increase in alloy/tyre size? would it not report in-correct mph and distance travelled?

No, the bigger the rims the lower the profile on the tyre...use a tyre calculator http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html to work out the size to meet your rims to within acceptable tolerances...think it's around 3% :unsure:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links