Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Own A Sony Ericsson P800

I'm toying with either a P800 or a Nokia 3650.

Anybody own either one and consequently any good / bad comments about them? I doubt many will own the 3650 - very few places offer them, but hopefully there's someone out there with a P800 who could comment?

I've gone to many forums and learnt alot about the P800 (it is AMAZING!) but just after some more comments really

Thanks to anyone who can offer advice / info

Tony

I have a P800, and I love it.

I looked at the 3850, and found it really bulky. The P800 isn't a small phone, but the move from a T68i was really not all that upsetting. I certainly don't find myself wanting to change the SIMs around when I go out in the evening.

The PDA functions are good, the phone is excellent (signal strength is way better than the T68i), it syncs well with the PC - can't complain.

I even have my car kit install scheduled for Monday (which, despite having satnav and aux amp version of the stereo is going to go through the main speakers) which should round it off.

If it helps - one of the other guys in my office saw mine, and bought a P800 himself on the way home from work. PM me if you want any further info ;)

Regards

Alistair

I have a P800 after having loads of Nokia's. Best phone I have ever owned and I have had a mobile since 1988,so as you can guess I've had quite a few. It does everything you could wish for and more, I resently had one of those Oranges SPV's it lasted 2 days before it went back for a refund avoid them like the plague.

Hi all.

This is a really interesting thread (to me, anyway).

I also had an SPV for a week and took it back. Technically it's a marvel but otherwise thoughly useless.

I assume that you are using the P800 on Orange. If so, where didi you get it, was it a good price and is the car kit Bluetooth? How much use is it as a PDA? Does anyone do a GPS jacket for it?

Yes, mine's on Orange. I'm happy with the Orange service, and usually manage to get a reasonable deal every 6 months or so on a new phone.

I'm so happy with the phone, and taking into consideration the pain I had with previous Bluetooth car kits, I'm going with a proper hardwired kit. For some reason dealers seem to claim that the parts are not yet available, but the Sony Ericsson eshop is selling the bits without a problem.

I've ordered a leather console from dashmount, to avoid the unsightly no-drill bracket, but still not trash the interior of the car. One of the other members (Mattj) helpfully pointed me toward a dealer in Surrey that seems to have cracked wiring a phone kit in properly... and they're coming to the office to install everything on Monday ;)

As for usage.... there isn't a GPS attachment as yet (they haven't been out long) but I have seen discussion of one. I use it as a PDA fairly regularly, and have bought a film screen protector to avoid scratches in my pocket (those lexus keys have pointy edges!). This means it's onto a winner already, as my IPAQ was too bulky to carry around anywhere other than my laptop bag, and why use the IPAQ over the laptop if you're in a meeting?

Thanks very much for all the replies guys.

I've been umming and urring about which way to go.

I currently use (much as one) my laptop, a PDA (HP Jornada) and my Nokia 6310i. I use the full functionality of each one, and want to try to combine them in a decent PDA-style phone. Hence why I'm seriously considering the P800. Following from all your comments above i'm near enough certain I'm gonna get one. I've had Nokia's since I've had mobiles (1997) so am a little un-easy about changing brands as I've grown so used to the Nokias.

Just a few questions I have though....

1) It doesn't have nokia-style profiles, what does it have or how do you get it around (i.e. does it just have normal and silent mode?)

2) Where did you get the screen protector from? I read on forums that people tend to take the keypad off and use the touch-screen numbers, but means it can get scratched easily in the pocket. Where did you get it, and how much was it?

3) I've played with one in an Orange shop for about half an hour, but obviously it's not like really owning the phone. Does anybody have any criticisms of the phone? For example, I know that the volume you set your phone at is the volume the alarm will go off at - eg, if it's silent, no alarm!?! Also, the alarm wont activate if the phone is turned off. Just little things like that!??

Thanks very much to one and all.........you've been a great help

Tony (currently 6310i/HP Jornada owner.......soon to be only P800 :))

I used to use my laptop, and IPAQ, and my T68i. I still use the laptop, but it synchs with the P800.

1. No profiles, but has silent mode, headset mode, car kit mode, and normal mode. I've never needed anything else. Apparently profiles are due in an imminent firmware update (which existing users can get)

2. I got my screen protector from expansys. They're about 20 quid for three, but a lot less hassle than a scratched screen.

3. The alarms do follow the phone volume, and if the phone is off they don't ring. However, if you put the phone on "flight mode" (so the phone and Bluetooth shut down, and it's safe to use in flight) the alarms will ring, and it uses less Battery power.

Certainly no major criticisms. As long as you don't get too excited about being a pro photographer with that camera ;)

Any idea of cost?

Orange quote £299 for an upgrade. Haven't tried Carphone Warehouse yet but they are usually pretty good on price and very profesional.

As for cost.....

alot depends on what line rental you pay and how long you've been with the company etc (and how much you complain/moan/argue about the cost :)) but here's some guideline prices I've experienced in looking for the phone.....

Orange: £199.99

Vodafone: £299.99

O2: 299.99 (but dont yet offer it)

Car phone warehouse: 299-399 (network/rental dependent).

Sorry I couldnt be of much more help with the pricing, but so much depends on your individual circumstances !!!!

Tony, I would say both those phones are very well specced, I have used the Nokia a lot more than the P800, I used to hate the Ericsons as they had horrible small keys and screens.

My impression using the latter was that the button cover thingy that was removable wasn't great. If its off, then its a pain trying to dial without the pen, certainly if you were driving it would be very hard with or without a pen and frankly I don't want to use a pen with a phone for things like that!

A lot of it comes down to personal taste too, I have a 6310i and think its a pretty good phone, both the ones you are looking at have more PDA functionality, however I am still using my Series 5 as I want a phone thats a phone and not a PDA.

Phones like the 3650 and the P800 can be a real pain to use as things that are easily done with phones that are a lot less complex become a chore. I would prefer to have a seperate PDA, if you are a power PDA user, I am not convinced one of those phones can replace your Journada.

Tony,

O2 do offer the P800, as that is what I have, £149.00 on a anytime250 minute tarrif. (and unlocked not like orange who do)

Don't forget that you can only view excel and word documents on the P800, you cannot create or edit them as you can on a PDA.

Lexus Sport..........

Thanks for the comments. Can I ask where/how/when you got this deal? I keep getting conflicting information from O2.....it depends on who you talk to as to whether they're going to release the phone, let alone what price it's gonna be.

Did you go through a 3rd party company, eg carphonewarehouse/phones4u etc? If not.....can you give me the number of the guy you spoke to at O2 !!!! ta !!!!

Thanks

Tony

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links