Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is300 Reverse Camera - How To Wire

Hello everyone - I am new to the forum

I have just purchased my first Lexus - its a IS300 with Nav and wish to fit a reverse camera.

I have a RGB convertor with 1x video input for the camera but need help to connect to the screen

Can anyone please help?

I'd be interested to know what I need and how to do it. My aftermarket Sony double din unit has an input for a reversing camera and it would be useful (and look cool).

If yours already has the input then it will be just a case of plugging it in. You'd need power for the camera whcih you could get off the 12v live when the reversing lights are on.

How the unit switches depends on the unit itself. Some you have to manually switch the inputs. Some are signal detect and some you attach a reverse 12v signal and it switches when you put it in reverse.

Prolex have some wide angle (135 degs all round) low light, low profile cameras. Be careful of the eBay ones as they are large and the angle tends to be only be around 75 degrees, also a lot are 2-3 lux so very difficult to see at night..

Well, the bad news is you would need a composite to RGB+sync converter. Easy enough as it sounds but every commercial one I tried was off slightly and the sync needed to be amplified too.

I spent months on a circuit and eventually came up with one but unfortunately bad health got in the way. I made myself one, and Ahmet paid for one at cost as he was our guinea pig but that was as far as we got at the time.

I probably took things too far in that I was making a 4 input unit that did audio too. Had I kept it simple and just a reverse camera unit then there would probably be a good few out there by now. The main reason I took it that far was because the largest cost was the converter. The rest was relatively cheap once you had that - just extremely time consuming to build.

I may look into a simple unit that just does the reversing camera but just getting my life back at the moment so not doing much yet.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links