Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water Pump Replaced - At A Cost!

atce4

My pride and joy has only done 36,000 miles but had coolant leaking from the waterpump so just had it replaced by a local Lexus dealer at a cost of £561. Seems a bit steep as the pump only costs around £100 to buy. Wondered if this is about right or have I been ripped off as the pump seems to be easily accessible without having to tear the engine half to bits!

The car is nearly 18 months out of warranty but was wondering about contacting Lexus GB for their thoughts (and a possible cost contribution?) :whistling:

What do you guys think or will I be p***ing in the wind?

Thanks

Graham

No point contact Lexus GB (IMHO), they will say waterpump is a 'wear and tear' item. Most of the £561 you have paid is probably labour, like you say, waterpump costs £100, so you have paid £461 in labour.

Was your car at the dealer for a service? If the dealer told you the waterpump was leaking, you should have bought the waterpump from the dealer and you should have taken it to be fitted by a local garage- at least you would be saving some £££ in labour costs.

No point contact Lexus GB (IMHO), they will say waterpump is a 'wear and tear' item. Most of the £561 you have paid is probably labour, like you say, waterpump costs £100, so you have paid £461 in labour.

Was your car at the dealer for a service? If the dealer told you the waterpump was leaking, you should have bought the waterpump from the dealer and you should have taken it to be fitted by a local garage- at least you would be saving some £££ in labour costs.

I spotted it myself but with hindsight should perhaps have taken it to another garage first.

Learnt a lesson there :tsktsk:

my car went in for its 6year 70k service and lo and behold all was fine then they fone to tell me my water pump was leaking i hadnt noticed it nor any deposits around the pump, but you tend to belive them espcially when the car is in there in lots of pieces, they were going to charge me a rather large amount to change it but i disagreed with that beacause the engine was allready in pices from the belt but still the whole lot came to just under 800 quid which hurts after 360 on new tyres 2weeks before

so i think you got off lightly mate lol

Luckily mine was spotted whilst under warranty, and as they take most of the time

stripping out the Radiator and Front Engine Covers , I paid the dealer extra to change

the Timing belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulley at the same time. No sense in paying twice.

I have heard some members say it is worth doing this job when doing the timing belt as it takes

so long to strip out you are saving in the on run.

Hi - just had my 50,000 mile service from Lexus Edinburgh and the only problem found was the leaking water-pump. Quote to repair was £423.

My car is 6 months over main Lexus warranty, but luckily I have an extended warranty with a 3rd party who are covering the full charge minus the cost of the liquid refill (consumables not covered).

So I've only to pay £25 excess and another £25 for the refill.

It was fixed promptly the next day by the Edinburgh garage and all is well again.

Cheers.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links