Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Nova

loggyboy

Il happily take up any challenge at the pod or similar. Il race anything!

ill race ure nova :-D santapod, track dont mind... june time?? need time to finish her off..

hehe i hate novas.... but i like anycar thats been modified to go fast.. so it gets my respect

my mate had a 190 bhp nova that thing had some seriouse traction issues lol.

ill race ure nova :-D santapod, track dont mind... june time?? need time to finish her off..

hehe i hate novas.... but i like anycar thats been modified to go fast.. so it gets my respect

and you are??????

glad to see you make the effort to sign up just to post that comment!!

by the way, its lexus :whistling: :winky:

just out of interest... your claiming 230bhp per tonne with what? 160bhp?

Have you weighed the car, or is this just a guesstimate? a bigger engine will add a lot of weight, and considering the Lotus Elise 111R which ways 700kg with 190bhp lightweight 1.8 engine is only 220bhp/tonne - I think you may be overestimating this performance claim.

Also, 6 seconds to 60 sounds pretty slow to me? Especially for 230/ton - but also since you claim its a supercar slayer? My 996 C2 was hardly a supercar and that was nearly a second quicker to 60, and with a top end at 175mph..

Car weighs in at 750 (on a public weigh bridge) dyno results show an (calcuated) 170 brake. works out at about 226/tonne.

6 seconds is mainly due to lack of grip, even with all the weight over the driven wheels, a FWD just wont get the power down.

if i could get a reading of 30-100mph im sure it would give a more impressive result.

Also when i stated it scared super cars. that was by no mean a claim it would beat or even keep up with them. but the limited times ive gone up against some serious metal, its the there attuude that they wont need to floor it, and when the suddenly realise they arent winning by as much as they should be is what suprises them.

143 is at wheels, meaning 1bout 170 at fly, the standard 2.0 16v engine should produce 150. hence the 20 brake more. The 1.2 produces 55bhp!

hats off to ya mate, wether its a Nova or a Lexus its no easy task swapping engines over for something completely different

what you say is exactly right !

my starlet runs a 179 at the hubs and weighs in around 750kg, so at something over 200 at the fly its about 250bhp/tonne (still a 1300cc :whistling: )

trying to achieve grip isnt the easiest job, standard the starlet is 0-60 in 6secs, doubt if it will ever get much below that

So who else is upto a race?

:winky: ....... :D

Would longer gear ratios not help bring down the 0-60 time?

I know that sounds counter-intuitive - but if your struggling to get the power down it might help?

It is something Ive considered. 1st is very short, but trying in 2nd it bogs down. Sadly, despite the wealth of GM gearboxes, theres little that can be done.

The ideal solution would be to change final drive to lift all gears evenly, but without going for a custom box this isnt likely.

Considering the car has always been a budget bruiser, i wouldnt dream of paying though the nose for a quaiffe gbox.

Even taking all that in to account, you can spin it 2nd easy once moving, and 3rd (and 4th with some trying) will spin in the wet.

The best way to get the power down would be sticky tyres and an ATB, but at £500 for one it comes down to money again, their not even something that comes up cheap 2nd hand.

It passed its MoT today.. so il be off to the 1st FDMC autosolo on sunday :D

ahh just a little old clio :)

well my mate told me to look on here so i fort i might as well as i had nothing to do...

wheres all u lexus guys n gals 1/4 mile times? :)

bish

well my mate told me to look on here so i fort i might as well as i had nothing to do...

bish

we keep them in the cupboard, the same one you keep your reliability and luxury reports in :P

bish

[sherlock] you must be Toms mate then[/sherlock]

Il be making a trip to a RWYB this year some time to see if i can improve on the previous novas time (had the exact same engine in) that was a 14.281 at PVS 2005 was one of only 3 runs, and the 1st run the engine spluttered on the line (faulty ICV) so technically only 2 fast runs.

SantaPod.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well it passed its MoT again last week (phew)

Got it out for the 1st FDMC Autosolo of the season last sunday and managed 6th overal and 3rd in class. Not bad as I am in the Kitcar class, meaning I was beaten by Elises' and a caterham. What makes it more frustrating is that I was leading the class in the morning when it was real wet. But as the afternoon went on, it dried out, meaning the lighter cars werent struggling for grip like there were in the morning. I also made a couple of mistakes that cost me valuable couple of seconds, 3 overal places and a class position. Neverming, theres another in 2 months.

Some pics:

Photos134.jpg

Photos139.jpg

and the FDMC report with more pics.

http://www.fdmc.org.uk/soloMarch2008repa.php

Anyone interested in budget motorsport should come along to one, there are many held all over the country, and for a small annual membership £20 ish and £30 an event its fantastic fun and even better value.

May I ask a question, silly as it may sound. The question is meant as an inquisitive question and not a cheap dig at the car or intending any insult or offence. For a car that has such a huge amount of claimed power (and I have no reason do doubt it), why does it still look like, well, look like it does? No offence meant but with one steel wheel, the dents and all that grey stuff down the side it really does look like it's seen better days. If you've gone to so much trouble making it as fast as it is, why haven't you spent the extra £200 on making it look nicer?

A fair question, but as with the rest of the project it simply comes down time and money, mainly money.

If I had £200 spare, i wouldnt spend it on anything cosmetic unless i was 100% happy with everything else (which i never will be!). £200 doesnt sound much, but thats 1/5th of what its cost me so far.

The missed matched wheels are again down to cost, I found some colway 14" intermediate (road legal) tyres cheap on eBay, so i popped them on the only 14" rims I had. The 15" rears have semi slicks, again road legal to remain in the regs of the autsolo, and again, cheap off eBay.

The grey stuff is primer, where i stupidly tore the side rubbers off, which took the paint with them, so i just slapped the primer on a year ago to stop it from rusting. I do have some matching rattle can blue, but havent got round to finishing it properly, as the other rear arch has primer all over it too where i replaced the rear arch/sill to get it thru its MoT last year. This also needs some finishing to get it looking better (uneven filler etc) so i didnt want to use the blue paint till i was happier with the finish. I may get round to it this summer, but thats where time comes in, despite best intensions, theres always something better to do, be it on the car, house work/diy or real work.

Fair enough. Know how you feel! I guess if performance is all that matters to you then that's where you put the cash first.

You're right though, there's always some reason you can't do what you want - usually real work in my experience! Either that or the other half creating work!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links