Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Carrying Bikes?

i want to carry two bikes with the wifes 04 rx300, but looking at that roof lip/spolier thing it looks too flimsey to strap a bike rack too? anyone done this? are there other racks that will work?

or roof bars are an option but they seem pricey once you add on the cost of the bike holder bits!

i'm also getting a towbar fitted but its a detatchable one so the towbar mounted ones are no good either i dont think

what have people used?

Ta

I've used all three types you mention over the years and personally favour the roof-rail mounted type. The towbar mounted ones are easy to load but obscure your rear view and will interfere with opening the rear door when the bikes are in place which is a real nuisance. The type of rack that straps to the back of the car is very fiddly to set up and really needs to be removed when not in use. They are also easy to load but also obscure the view and will interfere with door opening as well. I've also found the bikes rattle as the straps work loose requiring occasional stops though this might be due to the cheap rack I was using. The roof rail mounted racks are more difficult to load bikes onto, especially with a tall car such as the Rx but once loaded leave the rear of the car free and you are barely aware of the presence of the bikes when driving. They can also be left in place when not in use. They do however leave the bikes standing upright on the car so you need to be careful going under low barriers such as entrances to car parks (bridges are OK). Also sometimes cause a whistling noise at speed so I tend to keep below 70mph when carrying bikes.

All in all the roof rail mounted ones are the best compromise in my opinion if you carry bikes regularly. No need to buy the Lexus branded ones either, just get the Lexus cross rails and pick up the bike attachment from elsewhere.

I have these: http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=22&sku=598

They are not a cheap option but are very very stable, easy to load the bikes from the side (one man job) and the main thing is that the bikes are locked on so you can leave them on. They fit very nicely with the Lexus rails and you dont even know the bikes are there. I sometimes had to look through the sunroof to see if they are still there...

If you plan to use them and want to spend the money I think this is the best choice....

Strap on racks are not very stable – I’ve seen a few come loose at motorway speeds – not good!

Personally, I favour the towbar mounted variety. They’re rock steady, even at high speed. They work fine with a detachable towbar (e.g. the Brink bar fitted on my IS300) and are easier to load and unload than a roof mounted rack. Also, you can get into any car park you choose. But, they do obstruct boot access, although that’s not a huge problem if you think about how/when you load things and, of course, with a SportCross there’s always the option of folding the back seats for boot access with the bikes in place.

This is the Pendle rack I use.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Pendle which is the best I have come across and was recommended by a local bike dealer.

I have a tow-ball mounted frame previously used on our old Freelander. This worked absolutely fine on both the detachable Freelander ball and the fixed ball I have on my RX300.

There are extension bars to accommodate different numbers of bikes and each bike sits in its own pair of wheel carriers, strapped down with the straps supplied. No bikes banging into each other, very easy to get both the frame and the bikes off and on. Mine has electrics too which work fine.

Good quality plated and powder-coated frame. No rust after three years.

Pendle staff are were very knowledgeable when I phoned and should point out the best option for you.

Simon.

Coincidence -as we are discussing best bike rack for my wife's RX400h.

A couple of questions:

1. I see the logic of the tow bar mouned ones.

1.1 I hate tow bars. Is there such a thing as a removable one?

1.2 Does the bike not obscure the number plate?

2. My wife has a bad back. I recall seeing a roof rack which cantilevered down to assist. Is such a device available?

Thanks.

we've just got a towbar fitted as i inherited a trailer tent which we're going to use. the towbar is completely removeable and is practically out of site when removed, its really a good job. £350 fitted, the only downside is the spare wheel doesn't fit anymore? i haven't actually tried to put it in yet, i'm sure i'll get it in!

anyway i've opted for the roof rail carrying method as we will need the towbar and i'm not having a rack scratch the car.

if you use a towbar rack you will have electrics to plug a light bored into which will have a number plate on.

Matt

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links