Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Running Engine @ Cold Temp

Abbas

Hi all,

I have a query don't know if anyone else gets this on there IS? When the car is first started in the morning or after starting when parked up for 8 hrs whilst i am at work. The car does not run smoothly, whilst moving if i take my foot off the accelerater the car will pull back and slow down but this is not gradual its like a sudden kick back. Also it is pretty slow but I would say that is expected from a cold engine.

After the engine temp has moved up to the middle of the gauge and the car has had a good run its fine and runs pretty smoothly, well as smoothly as i think the IS runs as I have not driven another IS.

Any comments...

Thanks,

Abbas

HI Abbas, as for the sudden slow down at cold temps I think thats normal, your engine should be smooth running when cold though, especially as when cold the engine revs at about 1000 rpm, does it feel like the engine is misfiring or is the revs going up & down by itself?

Hi, thanks for the reply when I say not smoothly I was talking about the sudden slow down when foot goes off the gas... The revs don't move up and down they stay at around 1200-1500 rpm at start up then move down to about 1000rpm and when the engine has warmed up they go down to about 700rpm approx.

I take it your car does the same with the sudden slow down when cold?

Mine does the same thing when cold. However, it stays that way in certain conditions even when the engine is warm. For example, if I'm driving 60mph in 6th gear and quickly release the accelerator I get the same distinct difference between the constant speed and slow down. It's not at all as bad as when the engine is cold, but it's noticable. The same thing if I push the pedal down again when the car is slowing down.

I have been driving then letting go of the gas pedal then pressing it again and to be honest it does not feel good. The best way i can describe it is as "jerky".

Surely when you let go of the gas the car should not kick back like that. At first i noticed this when the engine was cold now i notice it happens anytime although not as bad when warm.

I hope its not a misfire but i have no way of knowing... I spoke to my local garage and he did not think he could do much to diagnose th problem and suggested i get it put on a "Rolling Rod". He said this will be expensive.

Mine does the same thing when cold. However, it stays that way in certain conditions even when the engine is warm. For example, if I'm driving 60mph in 6th gear and quickly release the accelerator I get the same distinct difference between the constant speed and slow down. It's not at all as bad as when the engine is cold, but it's noticable. The same thing if I push the pedal down again when the car is slowing down.

Hiya.

It will be something very simple, take it to someone with a decent diagnostics machine failing that start by checking the simple things like spark plugs.

Always willing to help by phone 01252 845645.

James

I have been driving then letting go of the gas pedal then pressing it again and to be honest it does not feel good. The best way i can describe it is as "jerky".

Surely when you let go of the gas the car should not kick back like that. At first i noticed this when the engine was cold now i notice it happens anytime although not as bad when warm.

I hope its not a misfire but i have no way of knowing... I spoke to my local garage and he did not think he could do much to diagnose th problem and suggested i get it put on a "Rolling Rod". He said this will be expensive.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links