Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello From A Newbie!

Hi everyone!

Firstly hello - been lurking for a while without registering! A great forum - lots of very clued up people around!

I picked up a 53 plate (Mk2) RX300 SE a few days ago, 85,000 miles, for only £5000! It was cheap as the service book was lost, so the owner (who I know personally) could only vouch for the history for the last 10k miles (one A service). Still, I had it checked out and it is in terrific condition :)

A few questiosn though ;)

The satnav doesn't work unfortunately - pressing the buttons doesn't do anything unfortuntely (and there definitely one fitted!). The previous owner said a main dealer quoted £2k for a fix! Can a 3rd party system be fitted and integrate with the climate control/vehicle info?

Secondly, in view of the missing history, I assume a B service is in order, with a timing belt change? Who is the best person to do this - a main dealer or a good independent? Are there good indys around in the Bham/Gloucester area?

Lastly, anything else I need to know? ;)

Cheers

Teatowel

Hi, and welcome to LOC.

Got your RX for a good price :winky:

Cambelt can be done at an independant garage so long as you trust them or they have a good reputation.

Regarding the Sat/Nav issue Lexus main dealer will charge a fortune. Try this guy Luke, he is a member of LOC and really knows his stuff, tell him Terry from LOC reccomended you.

http://soarer.tv/ http://soarer.tv/

Hope you enjoy the car and the forums.

Terry

Good advice from the fellow above - from all accounts its not a complex job, bu with most things use a mechanic you can trust and I would urge you to use genuine Lexus parts for peace of mind. I think it is a good decision to get the belt done now, especially considering the price of the car.

No matter how recent any service, just also get an oil/filter change done for added peace of mind.

That is a cracking price for such a car - sounds like a fleet owned vehicle so if it has no S/H call the Fleet Co. and see if they can send you something through?

• 4 months later...

Thanks everyone for your welcome!

As you can see I am useless in following up threads on forums (I think I am a member of about 12!).

Turns out that this car has a full dealer service history, so I have ordered a new book and have sent it off to the right place to get it stamped!

So, all in all, a complete bargain! I have done about 5k in it with no problems whatsoever :) Just need to get the SatNav sorted from the guy in the link above!

Out of interest - how good is the OEM satnav compared to say TomTom (which I think is great)?

Cheers!

Thanks everyone for your welcome!

As you can see I am useless in following up threads on forums (I think I am a member of about 12!).

Turns out that this car has a full dealer service history, so I have ordered a new book and have sent it off to the right place to get it stamped!

So, all in all, a complete bargain! I have done about 5k in it with no problems whatsoever :) Just need to get the SatNav sorted from the guy in the link above!

Out of interest - how good is the OEM satnav compared to say TomTom (which I think is great)?

Cheers!

If you go to Luke to sort out your Sat/Nav it will be a new S/N not the OEM one but all the OEM functions /buttons etc. will still work.

Glad that you are happy with the motor

Terry

Hello and welcome!

The sat/nav on the Lexus is pretty fine, in my opinion. Main issue is cost of updating: a new dvd will cost you at least what you'd pay for a tomtom WITH updated maps.

Given your unit is non working, I'd consider going for the external navigator, which can be moved from car to car. Besides, by the time you'll have to update maps again, probably a sat/nav wil fit in you key-holder and cost 30 pounds... :whistling:

Of course, the OMD lcd screen is much neater compared to that gizmo attached to the windshield with all the wires and stufff :crybaby:

(P.S: last mont a Lexus dealer dared to offer me 8900 € for my 2001 mark 1 fully loaded and with 85000 KM on the dash, to be traded with a 2005 RX... :tsktsk: :tomato: )

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links