Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Puncture Shield

I was at ideal home show today, and came across something called Puncture Shield. It worked brilliantly in the demonstration, but am worried that as with most things at the show, they work fine there but are useless when you get them home. :(

Basically, its some kinda liquid that you put in your tyres and if you do get a puncture, the liquid seals the hole back up (similar to tyre weld but you do it before puncture rather than after)

My question is, does anyone know anything about this (or even better has anyone used it)? Also, is it safe for the ever prone to corrode alloys? :blink:

I want to know quick cos if this thing works, i wanna get it in asap cos its brilliant! :yahoo:

Sounds like a great idea, but this is me being sceptical.... :(

You're driving along, get a small puncture and the liquid seals it - if you're lucky, with no loss of pressure. You carry on driving, oblivious to the fact that you're now driving on a punctured/sealed tyre. You join a motorway, and start cruising at (ahem) 85mph.... Let's suppose that the puncture is a 5mm cut... close to the 6mm maximum they say it'll fix....

Put it another way - you fill your tyres with this stuff, then (as they say in their ad) you stab the tyre with an awl & it immediately reseals itself. Would you want to then drive around on that tyre, at potentially high speeds, for the next 12 months or so?

It's all down to confidence in the product, but it's not a scenario I'd really fancy. :o If I get a puncture, I'd want to know asap & get the tyre replaced. :unsure:

Similar stuff has been around for ages. I used it on a motor cycle decades ago, it sealed a small puncture, but on a bend, when the tyre was enduring more stress, it blew and deflated instantly! Personally, I would rather have had a slow puncture!

I think its important to remember that you are not allowed to repair a puncture in a Z rated (or above) tyre anyway. There are reasons for this.

Personally it sounds ok, but I would have rather used it for a lesser car than the IS. You can pick up even the most decent tyre for our motor for less than £100. Not a lot to spend on safety and someones life!!

Man what a grown up!!

I think its important to remember that you are not allowed to repair a puncture in a Z rated (or above) tyre anyway. There are reasons for this.

Since when :blink: I have had numerous repairs in Z rated tyres over the years with no probs, (limit is two repairs per tyre within a defined area though)

Only thing is that a lot of tyre places won't repair tyres with the gunk in it (nor tyre weld)

I carry a can of this type of stuff at all times.

It's for emergencies only, like when you get a flat. It's safe to drive home on, my mate has used it on his Fiat Coupe. Next day he got the tyre place to clean out the stuff out of the tyre.

Goodyear F1 very good treads, had a few nails in them and no punctures + immense grip dry/wet.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links