Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help! Can You Recommend A Decent Windscreen Replacement Firm?

maneesh

Hi Guys,

My windscreen on the Type R is chipped/cracked and needs replacement under insurance.

I've had replacement screens in another car and wind noise was worse despite the screen fitting well.

I've been dealing with idiots in windscreen firms over the phone today who won't use Honda glass or new seals etc.

Can anyone recommend a decent place that they have used that won't leave me with a crappy install? Looking at London/Se, but prepared to travel if need be.

Thanks,

Maneesh

Honda main dealer won't fit it. They will just farm it out to a local windsreen fitter.

I have used RAC in the past and not had a problem and that was on the LS400. Expensive tinted screen and they asked me which colour tint because there were a chioce of 3 for the LS

Honda main dealer won't fit it. They will just farm it out to a local windsreen fitter.

I have used RAC in the past and not had a problem and that was on the LS400. Expensive tinted screen and they asked me which colour tint because there were a chioce of 3 for the LS

Ok there you go don't waste your phone call ringing insurance up then :) I guess as long as you use a reputable windscreen place and your not 100% happy you can take it back until you are, the windscreen on my IS was replaced by Autoglass before I got it they used a Pilkington screen and there is no probs at all it's even got the wiper heaters, I also had them replace the screen on the 306 I had before the Lex and that was fine aswell, come to think of it I had my van screen done and thats fine. So my point is as I said before get it done and if your not happy then get them to change it until it's right ;)

Maneesh,

The well known glass refit Companies are too big to be able to say any one is better than another. It all comes down to the competancy of the individual (or two) peeps doing the work. Best bet is to go to them and get it fitted in their shop so the work is done under ideal conditions and is supervised, and have a good check on the finished job to ensure the inside trim hasn't been cut, the adjacent bodywork not marked and that the screen sits in the correct position... before you sign off the work.

Firstly, sorry for hi jacking the tread, but it's kinda on topic and you guy seems to know about windscreens.

I have wind noise at high speed, and at high speed in very heavy rain there is the occasional drip from the top of the windscreen, say directly in front of the passenger seat. There is obvioulsy a small break in the seal.

A local windscrren place told me that cannot seal it, but need to remove the whole screen and refit it. Then said there was a good chance they may break it removing it and i will then need a new windscreen! Hundreds of pounds!

Are they trying to stitch me up? Or is it imposible to apply, I don't know, silicone sealer or similar to the area for a much cheaper easier option?

If you can find the break in the seal then try some black or clear silicone sealant. Don't buy the whole we'll break the screen taking it out thing sounds like a line to me, as I said in a previous post I had the screen on my old 306 changed because of a monster crack and they guy who done that took the old screen out no prob even with the crack in it, i'd try somewhere else if I were you :)

Are they trying to stitch me up? Or is it imposible to apply, I don't know, silicone sealer or similar to the area for a much cheaper easier option?

Hard to say without physically checking it, but if you have wind noise it's more than a small seal break. Guess the screen has been on the car a few years? If so it probably has all the miniscule chips in the outer glass which is why they're covering themselves in saying the glass may break in getting it out as it is a risk. The gaps probably too small to get any sealer in there from either the inside or outside, and anything else will just look a mess.

Any chance of getting a large chip in the windscreen in front of the driver :whistling:

I had the RAC out to fit my new screen in march and were very good, they used a new seal for it and they fitted it with a double bead of sealant so if one broke down the other would be there to stop any water to get in?

The only thing i would do though is if you have the screen replaced, is remove the trims on the inside, both sides of the screen as the cutter they use will slice into them and make a mess leading to some new ones?

One of mine was glued in to the seal of my old screen so ripped when i removed it but the chap from the RAC repaired it and has said if it goes any further just to ring them back with my ref number and they will order a new set for me free of charge, Which i thought was good of them as i'd done the damage :D

@ 84stoney if you want some sealant mate, i've got the one that all glass installers use, so if you want some mate let me know? its great for sealing your lights too after taking them apart :D

Hard to say without physically checking it, but if you have wind noise it's more than a small seal break. Guess the screen has been on the car a few years?

Only noise at 80-90mph+ (not on UK roads obviously). Pressure from the downforce opens it up a bit i think.

I have no reason to suspect that it is not the originl windscreen.

@ 84stoney if you want some sealant mate, i've got the one that all glass installers use, so if you want some mate let me know? its great for sealing your lights too after taking them apart :D

Thanks for the offer. After i see to more pressing matters, I may contact you.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. For those of you who want a firm that ONLY does windscreen repairs, I spoke to a chap at Glass Doctors and they seem to be very honest (they couldn't fix my chip as it was too big). Glass Doctors

The insurer nominated windscreen firm just told me they would replace the screen, without even asking about the nature of the damage or inspecting it to see if it could be repaired. Apparently, this type of behaviour is commonplace.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. For those of you who want a firm that ONLY does windscreen repairs, I spoke to a chap at Glass Doctors and they seem to be very honest (they couldn't fix my chip as it was too big). Glass Doctors

The insurer nominated windscreen firm just told me they would replace the screen, without even asking about the nature of the damage or inspecting it to see if it could be repaired. Apparently, this type of behaviour is commonplace.

Yeh they did that to mine matey, just came out and fitted a new screen and seals and was a lot cheaper going through my insurance at £50 instead of the quoted £360 from another company? :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links