Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Turning On The Lexus

Quick one:

Is there any harm in the way I turn the engine on? I usually turn key to iginition wait for TRC and ABS lights to go off then switch engine on, is this doing any harm to spark plugs or should just key in turn straight away to turn car on?????

Nope - won't have an adverse effect at all.

If anything, it's prudent to do this. Some faults willl relay to a dashboard light on ignition, so in a way, you may be giving the time to report any problems before turning it over.

I just turn mine in one movement.

i always wait for the dash warning lights to go first before i switch on same as you just habbit i surpose but makes me feel happy :winky:

Did you drive a diesel for 10 years prior to the petrol? :)

Yeah, it certainly won't harm the car to wait the 2-3 seconds before turning it over.

Obviously with older diesels the glow plugs needed to warm before you started the car... else- nasty noise/damage.

i always wait for the dash warning lights to go first before i switch on same as you just habbit i surpose but makes me feel happy :winky:

Yeah, it certainly won't harm the car to wait the 2-3 seconds before turning it over.

Obviously with older diesels the glow plugs needed to warm before you started the car... else- nasty noise/damage.

no i had a peugeot that every day a new light came on that wasn't there the day before :tomato:

no i had a peugeot that every day a new light came on that wasn't there the day before :tomato:

Haha :D

My Leon lived with the engine management light on ever since Revo phase 1! It's comforting to see a dash without warning lights in my IS.

i usualy sit down, wait for the lights to go off, check its not in-gear, clutch down and start.

the clutch down thing is coz of a habbit in my last car... where it didnt like to start with the clutch up lol.

I usually depress the clutch, put it in gear, handbrake off, ignition on. All in a one quick motion!

Though i have to admit, once or twice i have tried to start the already running engine!

Recently purchased a Vitara, just for a laugh really, and that now has the "CHECK ENGINE" light on perminantly and the temp gauge and speedo don't work all! Was fine a week ago when i got it! Can't tell how fast your travling, but I was out in it all day yesterday and the the speedo shows i covered.... 0 miles!

I usually depress the clutch, put it in gear, handbrake off, ignition on. All in a one quick motion!

Though i have to admit, once or twice i have tried to start the already running engine!

Recently purchased a Vitara, just for a laugh really, and that now has the "CHECK ENGINE" light on perminantly and the temp gauge and speedo don't work all! Was fine a week ago when i got it! Can't tell how fast your travling, but I was out in it all day yesterday and the the speedo shows i covered.... 0 miles!

I can understand why you'd depress the clutch... but why put it in gear? Surely that's potentially asking for trouble? The car may lurch forward if your clutch engaged....?

I can understand why you'd depress the clutch... but why put it in gear? Surely that's potentially asking for trouble? The car may lurch forward if your clutch engaged....?

....and you take the handbrake off! Seems like a recipe for potential disaster to me....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links