Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pop Goes The Engine!

RS200 turbo

Ok folks, a week past thursday coming home from work i went to accelerate and as the boost came on the engine gave out its last roar and blew up on me! Wasnt going hard, sitting at about 4000Rmp in 5th @ .4 bar Costly to say the very least!

Upon quick inspection it would appear that the rod has come out the side of the block leaving a rather large hole!

So, Do I sell the turbo kit and change back to N/A, which is the cheap option. This means No more boost for me!

Or Do I wait a bit longer and go for a rebuild bottom up with new internals to cope with the boost. who knows how far the damage has gone. :tsktsk: Pricey!

Either way, my first problem is a new engine, and the Thor option is out the window, you could almost buy another tezz for the same price as they are asking!

Does Anyone have any suggestions as I am very wary that the ones on eBay sound to good to be true ( tested warranty and guarentee below 30000 mls) Upon further inspection there have been some people who would really like to have words with the owners of these companies after being left High and Dry! Its not all bad but there are a select few, and I dont want to be a part of that gang after parting with my hard earned cash!!

Secondly what sort of prices am I looking @ for the forementioned options and who would be the best doctor to see for the transplant?

As always people your thoughts on this matter are greatly appreciated

Cheers

Dave

You need to source a s/h block maybe ?

I was just going to patch the hole up using some solder would that not work?? :winky:

Got a link for that Auto Altezza on Autotrader, cheers for that. 98000 mls. could be an idea at least that way I know the engine runs ok before taking mine out.

Anybody else have anything else to add??

well if you've blown a hole in the block you gonna need a new 1 and thats that

you could maybe think about dropping an MR2 Turbo lump in as I'm sure they use the same bottom end in as the Altezza I just know the heads different. you may have to look into this for a bit as you will be turning the engine round 90 degrees so there maybe other things to think about

From what I've heard, the tezza engine can take a lot more abuse than that so I would suspect there could be some other contributing factors as to why the engine blew.

Personally I would find a used engine and just drop it in. I am sure someone could source one from Japan if needed but maybe try the likes of 24/7 spares etc. Just ask a lot of questions about the engine and see if there is any paper work to verify mileage, like old MOT's service history etc. Usually wouldn't get this with parts but worth a try.

Then get everything in the car checked over when it's running again like AFR's check the map again and so on. You could find some other issues that would cause problems.

The 3SGE is meant to be robust, to say the least. I wouldnt say no to turbo or S/C it. Look at the Toms 280T.

It was just back from getting a new ECU and Map recently, along with a new fuel rail to cope with the uprated pump.

In retrospect I would say lower the compression with steel rods, L/C pistons and thicker gasket. Then when the Turbo kicks in at least you can run reasonable boost. However, Low boost IS better than No boost!

As far As a 3SGTE bottom end, not sure how that would work. I would have thought that the engine mounts would have been on the wrong way as the Altezzas engine, as you rightly pointed out, is the wrong way round [Not an easy fix]. The bottom end is also different the 3SGTE already has the forementioed set up for the turbo application [ Bonus] but I believe the sump requires modification to fit [again not an easy fix]. So I think ill try the solder idea first.

What about a 2JZ-GE? from the is300 that sits the same way as th supra GTE does it not? If that fits in the same chassis as the altezza would this not be a option? engine running gear and aux'.

Tezzaman. you would be in tears? You big girls blouse! Its only a car it will live again, Hopefully :D

I was seriously thinking about buying a turbo kit but if that can happen at only 4 bar I don't think it would be worth the risk.

Were you thinking of more than 4 bar of boost then, at that you could save a load of fuel an just run on compressed air!

Actually, I'm scrapping the turbo idea. Instead, I'm going for a hair dryer (around 5ft long, 4ft wide, mounted on the roof) the missus should have one laying around here somewhere!

WHOOSH!!

As for it being "just a car"

Sacrilege!! Ban RS200 turbo! :winky:

Dont want to start a trend here!

But with the price of fuel going through the roof, a blower of a different veriety may be the solution to my problem also.

There is Vidal Sassoon spec R on eBay at the moment. Bolts straight on with high, low and turbo settings built in. :lol:

Seriously tho, Has anybody here had to have an engine out?

What sort of time scale are you talking for one out one in?

Mr Singh swapped the blocks over on his but he's no longer about. but there maybe be some threads about it as I can remember seeing pics off it on here, your just have to have a hunt about in the tezza forum I think

I wouldn't of thought it would take to long to swap the block over, there's loads of room in the bay to swing it out and provided you have all the tools you maybe able to do it in the weekend

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links