Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying An Is 200 Next Week - Need Mod Help! :)

hybrIS200

Hi, all u Lex-fans!

I've been following the correspondance on the bulletin board the last couple of weeks, after I got a killer deal on an IS 200 from the Lexus dealer in Oslo, Norway (my city..).

It's been used as a loan car at the Lexus workshop, and the salesleader assumes that it's been beat up by the customers - so he offered it to me for 200.000 NOK, norwegian kroners (= $27.300). This is a 2001-model, and they rarely go for under 290.000 NOK (= $39.500) over here.

Luckily, a friend of my brother works at this very workshop (coinsidence, huh..?), and the boss there (not the sales leader) says that the baby is as good as any -01 model.

So, after having told u about my so far best deal in life (relax, there haven't been many..), I was hoping that you guys could help me out with a few questions.

1. My contact at the workshop (Nils), says that the best and easiest way to leap a few steps in bhp is to install a compressor.

Would u guys agree, or are there better/cheaper/safer alternatives?

2. What other enhancements should I do to the car if I decide to install a compressor?

Brakes? Suspension?

3.The colour of the car is white, which I am working with my self trying to like (no offence to those of you who also have that, I like it better already..). The prices on styling and tuning are outrageous here in Norway, but I get love sick when I see the awesome bumpers, skirts etc. that you guys have.

What country would be the best to get some good styling? Should be northern Europe, but any will do..

Hope some of you have time to splash down an answer or two - hope to talk to u all in near future..

Chris :yahoo:

Hey hybrIS200,

Welcome to the club. :)

The situation with the compressor is not only the best option at the moment, it's the only one!!

I'd suggest stick to what is tried and tested. You won't go far wrong. B)

With regard to body styling, most people don't seem to realise it, but there is a large range of body kits and accessories available right from your very own Lexus dealer.

The trick is knowing the part No's. ;)

Ironically most Lexus Dealer's don't know the part No's for some of the best accessories, even though they sell them. :lol:

And buying them from your Lexus dealer means you shouldn't have to worry about warranty issues.

Also, by joining Lexus Owners Club as a GOLD member you can get up to 15% off these parts.

The folllowing items are ALL available from your Lexus dealer

He just doesn't know it...

Altezza Front bumper

Altezza Rear Spoiler

TRD Rear Skirt

TRD Front lip spoiler

Side Skirts

IS200 Rear Spoiler

Styling Kit Rear Skirt

Styling Kit front skirt

All round tinted windows

Sports Mesh Grille

Lexus Scuff Plates

Styling Kit 18" alloy wheels

17” Grandstand alloy wheels

18” Grand Prix alloy wheels

18” Chicane alloy wheels

17” Millennium alloy wheels

Rear tail light garnish & Side Window visors

Fuel Lid garnish

Part No's available to GOLD Members ONLY

Thanks to the various members who's piccys I used as examples...

I read your post on "hybrIS200" quote on mods for his future 01' IS200, and I must say you own a stunning piece of autokraft mein freund

But would you really say a comp would be the only way to haul out a few extra ponnies? What about your traditional methods for your other "regular" cars, like chipping, airfilter, exhaust and so on ...?

The IS300 is no choice for the man of some economical sense, compared with the IS200 regarding the extra costs. At least in Norway where your choice in level of engine will surely decide which one to get. Its madness the taxfees in this country...

But how rare would you say the IS300 (sedan) is compared to the IS200 around where you live?

You dont see em around here, thats for damn sure, though it'd have to be an IS300 SportCross..

Sorry all for the nick, but my heart belongs to the German build car ...

((I thought I was replying on a post in this topic, but sent a private msg. to Grim...My bad-I new...but I thought Id post it as a reply here now...copy and paste :) )

Hi

And thanks for the question.

I'll answer your first question on the TTE compressor.

Unfortunately the IS200 has a limited amount of upgrades available. For example there is NO Turbocharger upgrade available yet.

So upgrading the IS200 is very limited and expensive.

With regard to the traditional route, this can improve performance a little, but as I said, there are a limited amount of upgrades available for the IS.

On an standard normally aspirated IS200, a proven product like the HKS Hiper Muffler exhaust will provide an increase of approximately 8 BHP. An air filter such as the HKS superflow will add only about 2 BHP to that.

However, when it comes to chipping the IS200, unlike other cars, there is no chip upgrade that will give you any sort of performance boost without a complete engine remap. And even with a remap, which requires a rolling road test and computer analysis, this will only provide a 6 - 8 BHP improvement.

So, even with a replacement Exhaust, an air filter and a remapped ECU chip, you would only get approx 18 - 20 BHP improvement.

Because of the limited range of upgrades, these upgrades tends to cost a lot too. So you could be £2000 out of pocket and only have a 20 BHP improvement.

The TTE compressor offers a proven increase of 50 BHP over the standard car. And as it improves the aspiration of the car, when you further add the air filter, HKS exhaust and the remapped chip, you get an extra additional benefit from these too. For example the air filter adds approx 4 BHP to a TTE Compressor, rather than the 2 BHP on the normally aspirated car. The exhaust, about 12 BHP and the chip 16 BHP.

Each upgrade component is improved further because of the benefit the TTE Compressor adds.

If money is limited, then your only choice is to got the traditional route, I.e. an exhaust and airfliter. But I would NOT go the expense of chipping and remapping a normally aspirated car because, it's very expensive and the little net gain. Especially when you consider if you do upgrade to a TTE compressor, you would need to pay for the remapping again to get the benefit of the chip on the TTE Compressor.

With regard to the IS300, yes your right. There is less of them on the road. But I have seen a few.

I guess the extra purchase and running costs, limited the amount of buyers too.

Many thanks for your interest in Lexus. I think you'll find the build quality to be similar on the Lexus as on the BMW/Merc.

What you will find better though, is the amount of extras on the Lexus that are included as standard, that cost extra on a BMW/Merc.

It all boils down to taste, and what you want to spend your money on, but what ever you decide to buy, enjoy your car.

rgds

GRiM

It would have been nice if I had known you were going to post my reply to your PM.

My answers are just my opinion, and not derived from any proven tests.

A little searching on this forum would have provided you with a lot more accurate answers.

GRiM

Yes, that would have been the usual dircetion, so I apologize.

To respond to what you wrote, Id say Im surprised to learn that Lexus (or the IS200 atleast)

dont have that many options on tuning the engine. Im sure, so Ive been told by my bud Nils at our local authorized Lexus dealer, the compressor you mentioned would do the trick. approx 50 more ponnies would make a difference.

The deal with the unique Lexus standard pack on your new car, as far as extra equipment goes, you must cash out quite a few dollars to meet Lexus standard at BMW or Merc-indeed.

Lexus handling and the rise after 4500 rpm. stunns me, being a Beemer fan deluxe... :excl:

Though one could wish that BMW would deliver the same quality on the whole car, the guarantee and such......But Mercs dont interest me at all, a dull machinery dont be rolling around in....take the enigine sound, or maybe catscream is more suitable :question:

My fav Lex would be the IS300 sportcross, as this is the fastest one of their collection Ive driven so far. Looks good too, but looks are well for Afla Romeos edition :arrrggg-matey:

:whistling:

So, I hope Ive turned your grin downside up and peace out to you GRIM

(My interest in posting our msg. and reply, was for hybrIS200 is my bro'- and I wanted him to see it)

HS

Hi again, Grim and all!

Thanx for reply - have another question, though (goes out to all):

1. Regarding styling (body kits, Bumpers, skirts etc.), I saw on Takakaira (great site, by the way) that you can fit "Under spoilers" to the IS200.

Does this mean you just fit it under the stock bumper or do u need to change that into another specific bumper?

Example: On Takakaira under Aerokits, Toyota, Zeal, Altezza, I saw that the bumper which the under spoiler is fitted to, is very similar to the bumper on the IS200 shown on the frontpage of Lexus.com.

Was thinkin of just gettin an under spoiler - cheaper and less extreme than the other spoilers (I like it a bit subtile..)

Hope all is well - drive fast and safe, boys & girls :whistling:

yep the under spoiler will fit under your std front bumper, without any major troubles

if your intrested i do have a TRD front spoiler for sale, and its white.

if you look in the gallery for is200 , the white car is my car, you will see the front lip fitted

mat

The pic is on an AMerican IS300= Ltuned

If it's in Japan it's the Neo cusotmised front

In Australia the Legana front

In Europe TRD front bumper (?)

I'd say white is an extremly lovely colour. I wish i had white instead of Grey sometimes.

If you want more power in your IS200, save up some money. There is no point in going for NA modifications with the 1gfe engine. Grab a TTE S/C and a decent exhaust.

Or a custom turbo setup with 7psi boost would provide some fun.

That front bumper is available on special order from your Lexus Dealer.

Bet he doesn't know the Part no!! :D

See my ALTEZZA Front Bumper post above.

I also know of a supplier in the UK, that can import it direct... :D

Part No's and suppliers readily available to GOLD Members only

Jup - that's what I saw just after I posted the last reply, you'd already been so kind to tip me about this very bumper, Grim.. :blush::whistling:

Anywho - I'm in big doubts these days, should I keep it White or go for the Platinum Ice (or something down that road..). The white is absolutely not a bad color compared to my expectations before I actually saw the car, but it's rather ordinary for my liking. The Platinum stands out more - gives you the feeling of having a (even more!) unique car..

I mean, look at this baby - should raise a few eyebrowes, no?

Plati-Lex

Again - don't mean to offend the poeple in here with white cars, for me this little "problem" is more like trying to decide between Christina Aguillera and Jennifer Lopez.. :yahoo: :P :yahoo:

Someone has to take care of that division too, u know ;)

But I think maybe being alone with such monsters as u guys have isn't too bad when it comes down to it - we have to compensate for only having 2 litres, right?

Added my Ducati on my profile - she's sweet, isn't she?

B) B) B)

im so lonely with the turbo..... but MAt's coming to join me soon with 2 turbos :P

Not for too long.... ;)

I think Turbo for my Altezza will be my next upgrade. I've already got +15HP from the HKS Racing Suction, the TODA racing flywheel has helped with gear change smoothness and response, and the HKS FCON will be put in sometime in May which will help remap the car to Optimax and gain another 10HP or so. My next plan is the Turbo to take the car to hopefully around 260bhp+, but then again I need to think about the insurance :whistling:

Asam

• 4 months later...
yep the under spoiler will fit under your std front bumper, without any major troubles

if your intrested i do have a TRD front spoiler for sale, and its white.

if you look in the gallery for is200 , the white car is my car, you will see the front lip fitted

mat

do i smell a new body kit

complete or just frontal ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links